Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members
    The fantastic American Express Community Stadium

The Laws of the Game - what's the point

0 Not allowed!
    So last night at the Arsenal game there's an Anderlecht player so offside for the first goal my blind dog could have seen it. For their pen, one of their players was encroaching so much he could almost have touched his team mate as he kicked the ball and the ref was looking STRAIGHT at him?

Monday night Phil Dowd is looking straight at a Sunderland player hack an opponent down in the first minute for a stone-walled pen and didn't see it?

There are so many examples of officiating which would be acceptable in any other sport that this is becoming a joke and undermining the credibility of the game. Yes everyone makes mistakes but such big mistakes on such basic situations in such high profile games is unacceptable?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NS Herald View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So last night at the Arsenal game there's an Anderlecht player so offside for the first goal my blind dog could have seen it. For their pen, one of their players was encroaching so much he could almost have touched his team mate as he kicked the ball and the ref was looking STRAIGHT at him?

Monday night Phil Dowd is looking straight at a Sunderland player hack an opponent down in the first minute for a stone-walled pen and didn't see it?

There are so many examples of officiating which would be acceptable in any other sport that this is becoming a joke and undermining the credibility of the game. Yes everyone makes mistakes but such big mistakes on such basic situations in such high profile games is unacceptable?
      All easy to say, but the Anderlecht player had borrowed Harry Potter's invisibility cloak or the Klingon masking device, and Phil Dowd is a law unto himself. Fortunately it's unlikely that either of these refs will get an Albion fixture, and all the officials in OUR games will be totally perfect in every decision they make.
      All opinions expressed in this post are my own,and are therefore correct.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NS Herald View Post

Calm down Arsene.

5 Not allowed!
      I think you've come to the wrong place if you're hoping for an informed comment on what happened yesterday evening in a match involving Arsenal and Anderlecht.

At least, I hope you've come to the wrong place.
      не съгласявам се!

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Who cares what happened between Arsenal and Anderlecht we all prefer proper football, The Championship?

0 Not allowed!
      Makes me wonder what results will come out of Interpol's current investigations into the, alleged, tens of thousands of suspected match-fixing incidents across Europe.
      Surely all refs can't really be as bad as they look to be at the moment can they?

0 Not allowed!
      That encroachment rule on penalties is NEVER enforced. I'd be interested to see if a ref would actually overrule a goal if an encroaching player tucked away the rebound - you'd hope it would be, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just as if a defender managed to get to the rebound and clear it after encroaching, you'd hope the ref would order the pen to be retaken...but otherwise, if the pen is scored it just seems anything goes as far as encroachment is concerned. Its a rule that is simply ignored if a goal is scored - quite honestly, we might just as well get rid of the D on the edge of the area. Whats the point of it.

Another one that winds me up is keepers at penalties coming off their line. I remember a penalty Forster had at Withdean (south side) which was saved - the keeper rushed about 5 yards off his line to block it, he almost charged the bloody thing down. Ref did nothing, lino did nothing, the save stood, the game carried on and I think we went on to lose.

Officials are often VERY lax when it comes to enforcing the rules on penalties, which is criminal really being as they actually define results.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      Members
      The fantastic American Express Community Stadium

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bracknell View Post
      I think you've come to the wrong place if you're hoping for an informed comment on what happened yesterday evening in a match involving Arsenal and Anderlecht.

At least, I hope you've come to the wrong place.
      The match itself is irrelevant - the point is that wherever it happens, the laws are seemingly often ignored by officials which can make the outcome a lottery.

When we have a pen against us in the last min for the oppo to score from such a situation or a blatant hack is ignored on KLL or CMS or whoever for a possible game winning pen - will I be in the right place to discuss the topic?

I ref another sport and if my performance mirrored some of the ones we see in football I wouldn't be a ref anymore even at junior level.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      That encroachment rule on penalties is NEVER enforced. I'd be interested to see if a ref would actually overrule a goal if an encroaching player tucked away the rebound - you'd hope it would be, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just as if a defender managed to get to the rebound and clear it after encroaching, you'd hope the ref would order the pen to be retaken...but otherwise, if the pen is scored it just seems anything goes as far as encroachment is concerned. Its a rule that is simply ignored if a goal is scored - quite honestly, we might just as well get rid of the D on the edge of the area. Whats the point of it.

Another one that winds me up is keepers at penalties coming off their line. I remember a penalty Forster had at Withdean (south side) which was saved - the keeper rushed about 5 yards off his line to block it, he almost charged the bloody thing down. Ref did nothing, lino did nothing, the save stood, the game carried on and I think we went on to lose.

Officials are often VERY lax when it comes to enforcing the rules on penalties, which is criminal really being as they actually define results.
      That is so true and another one that infuriates me is players stopping opponents getting to the ball as it goes out for a goal kick, if that is not obstruction what is.
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      That is so true and another one that infuriates me is players stopping opponents getting to the ball as it goes out for a goal kick, if that is not obstruction what is.
      There is no longer any such offence, as obstruction, in the rules / laws of the game.

You can be penalised however, for 'impeding the progress of an opponent'. The difference between "impeding" and "shielding the ball" is a bit subjective, but basically - if the defender has the ball under control, or within reach, then they are well within their rights to shield it.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.