Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Wigan

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Very poor performance, particularly 2nd half, but hey, we won!

Walton 8. Some very good saves, confident handling, distribution needs work ... but Wigan pressed high and didn't allow him to pass out to CBs or FBs. MOM.
Calderon 6. OK. Not at his best.
Greer 5. Poor passing, OK defending.
Dunk 7. Good game. Solid defending.
J. Bennett 7. Thought he played pretty well.
JFC 5. Poor again. None of our midfielders stamped their authority on the game.
Gardner 4. Very nice goal, but apart from that? Frankly, I had forgotten he was on the pitch.
Texeira 5. Some nice stuff early on, but faded. Too lightweight and tends to try to beat one player too many.
KLL 4. Very poor. Lost the ball on a regular basis.
E. Bennett 6. One or two nice flashes of skill, particularly early on, but faded. Guess he hasn't had much game time recently.
Baldock 7. Thought he did well considering the very poor service he received.

Subs:
Ince 7. Did much better in his 20 minutes than our other central midfielders.
CMS 6. At least tried to make things happen.
Halford. Not on long enough, but positive first impression.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Walton 7
Calderon 7
Greer 6
Dunk 6 - embarassing time wasting
J. Bennett 6
JFC 5
Gardner 1 Sami must see something in this guy that I can't. The crossfield pass straight into the WSL was the low spot. (1 point for the goal)
Texeira 5.
KLL 4. Very poor. Lost the ball constantly
E. Bennett 7 shame he faded but understandable
Baldock 6

Subs:
Ince 6
CMS 6 I would start with him
Halford won't embarrass him with a score for such a brief appearance

Sami - 5 slinked back to his chair and slumped down in it again, time after time. I am (fairly) sure he wasn't but he looked bored. Preferred Gardner to Paddy which must be for contractual reasons agreed with Villa

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Oops just posted same thread. Sorry here's mine

Walton 7.5
Calde 6
Dunk 7.5
Greer 6.5
Bennett (Joe) 7
JFC. 6
Gardener. 6.5
Lualua. 6.5
Tex 7
Bennett ( Elliott). 7
Baldock. 6.5

Subs:
Ince. 6
CMS. 5
Halfords. N/A

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Walton 8.723
Calderon 5
Greer 5
Dunk 6
J.Bennett 6
JFC 5
Gardner 6
Texeira 5
KLL 5
E.Bennett 6
Baldock 5

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Walton 7
Calderon 6
Bennett 7
Dunk 8
Greer 7

Gardner 6
JFC 7
Bennett 7

Tex 6
KLL 6

Baldock 6

Walton 8
Calderon 5
Greer 7
Dunk 7
J.Bennett 7
JFC 7
Gardner 6
Texeira 7
KLL 8 MOTM
E.Bennett 7
Baldock 5

Ince 5
CMS/Halford NA

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Jim Bob Walton 8 Well done lad deserves a good nights rest. Night Jimbob.
God Calderon 6 Ok
Captin Greer 4 Got away with a torrid of abuse to the ref as he didn't understand a word, slow thinking tonight.
Slam Dunk 6 Did ok
J.Bennett 3 Here's your option lad, 1. Run into space with the ball and look up and pass or 2. Look where there's the most opposition ran towards them and lose the ball. He always goes for no.2
JFC 4 Weak never looks for the decisive pass and is not very good at stopping the opposition.
Landscape Gardner 1 would look better in the distance, say 180 miles away
Roger Texeira 4 The teams cabin boy. A weakling.
KLL 3 Bereft of a footballing brain
E.Bennett 5 Needs game time.
Baldock 5 Felt sorry for him, made good runs but to no avail.

Subs all ok

Next time play Ince you numpty

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Walton - 8 (MOM) - he is so composed in goal even at such a young age, will be one for the future no doubt, Stockdale will have a lot of fighting to do when he is back

Calderon - 6.5 - just a normal performance
Greer - 4 - Sorry i get he is our captain and that but apart from couple of goals this season its just so bad and get beaten a lot in the air and he either hits 40 yard passes to 5 foot nothing strikers or slows the play up so much to then just pass it back to Dunk or GK and by that point the players who had made the run are then out of position, think he will need to go at end of season
Dunk - 6.75 - just like Calderon, a normal performance by him tonight
J.Bennett - 6.5 - looked alright at times but needs to stop trying to take on players all the time and just stick to playing on the left and not cut inside

JFC - 3 - i had been one the people at first saying give him a good chance but he tries to take it round 3 players all the time and it never works plus annoying how we could have settled the game with another goal but he decided to run it to the corner much to the annoyance of everyone, once Stephens is back i think he will be on the bench
Gardner - 2 - Apart from the goal he did not offer too much else and i forgot he was even on the pitch at times, maybe he will improve his game but must have some agreement with Villa where he has to start every game now, kind of reminds me of Lingard's loan last season

E.Bennett - 7 - a Solid debut imo, looked good on the ball, faded a bit in the second half but is expected after hardly playing this season but is great to see him back in a Brighton shirt and loved how he applauded us all as he came off, hope he stays here longer than he is meant to
Teixiera - 6.5 - showed a couple of flashes of quality but seems to think as he is on loan from Liverpool that he can take on loads of players and sometimes it works but tonight it didn't and think he may need to work on his upper strength as seems too lightweight
LuaLua - 5 - lost the ball too much tonight, not the same player that used to light up the crowd, think he needs to go back to being on the bench and come on when defences are getting tired

Baldock - 7 - despite not scoring he put in a good shift tonight and nice assist for Gardner's goal but would like to see him in a 2 strike partnership as think he would do a lot better that way and i think thats how Bristol City played last season didnt they?

Subs
Ince - 6.5 - done a lot more than JFC or Gardner....needs to start more but dont see Hyppia's mindset when it comes to him only seemingly good enough to start cup games
CMS - 6 - Could not do much and plus he needs balls played on the floor for him to run on or pass to feet so he can turn and shoot but when coming in the air, he is never going to win
Halford - N/A - Not on long enough to get a rating but he done one thing most Brighton players failed to do and that win a header, think he will be useful in his short term loan and may even score a couple!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I may have been watching a different game....

Walton certainly looked composed, I'll agree with that.

But I thought Gardner had a decent game. Obviously started well, but covered a lot of ground, broke up play well and went box to box effectively. Oh and that pass to the WSL would have been a pearler if the intended target, Bennett J, hadn't slipped and fell as he pushed off to get the pass.

Teixeira frustrates me in that he gets in good positions but seems reluctant to shoot. Have a pop lad, you never know, one might go in!

JFC still seems too negative and lightweight to me. A one trick pony although having said that, he was ok tonight.

Bennett E - obviously gave the crowd and the players a lift with him in the team. It was like he'd never been away. Let's hope it is longer than a month that he is with us - he could be the spark we have been missing.

Baldock - tremendous work rate. Deserved better service but never gave up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Walton - 7
Calderon - 5
Bennett - 5
Greer - 5
Dunk - 6
JFC - 5
Gardner - 5
Elliott - 6
KLL - 6
Tex - 5.5
Baldock - 6

CMS - 5
Ince - 6
Hanford n/a

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Walton - 8 (MOM) - he is so composed in goal even at such a young age, will be one for the future no doubt, Stockdale will have a lot of fighting to do when he is back

Calderon - 6.5 - just a normal performance
Greer - 4 - Sorry i get he is our captain and that but apart from couple of goals this season its just so bad and get beaten a lot in the air and he either hits 40 yard passes to 5 foot nothing strikers or slows the play up so much to then just pass it back to Dunk or GK and by that point the players who had made the run are then out of position, think he will need to go at end of season
Dunk - 6.75 - just like Calderon, a normal performance by him tonight
J.Bennett - 6.5 - looked alright at times but needs to stop trying to take on players all the time and just stick to playing on the left and not cut inside

JFC - 3 - i had been one the people at first saying give him a good chance but he tries to take it round 3 players all the time and it never works plus annoying how we could have settled the game with another goal but he decided to run it to the corner much to the annoyance of everyone, once Stephens is back i think he will be on the bench
Gardner - 2 - Apart from the goal he did not offer too much else and i forgot he was even on the pitch at times, maybe he will improve his game but must have some agreement with Villa where he has to start every game now, kind of reminds me of Lingard's loan last season

E.Bennett - 7 - a Solid debut imo, looked good on the ball, faded a bit in the second half but is expected after hardly playing this season but is great to see him back in a Brighton shirt and loved how he applauded us all as he came off, hope he stays here longer than he is meant to
Teixiera - 6.5 - showed a couple of flashes of quality but seems to think as he is on loan from Liverpool that he can take on loads of players and sometimes it works but tonight it didn't and think he may need to work on his upper strength as seems too lightweight
LuaLua - 5 - lost the ball too much tonight, not the same player that used to light up the crowd, think he needs to go back to being on the bench and come on when defences are getting tired

Baldock - 7 - despite not scoring he put in a good shift tonight and nice assist for Gardner's goal but would like to see him in a 2 strike partnership as think he would do a lot better that way and i think thats how Bristol City played last season didnt they?

Subs
Ince - 6.5 - done a lot more than JFC or Gardner....needs to start more but dont see Hyppia's mindset when it comes to him only seemingly good enough to start cup games
CMS - 6 - Could not do much and plus he needs balls played on the floor for him to run on or pass to feet so he can turn and shoot but when coming in the air, he is never going to win
Halford - N/A - Not on long enough to get a rating but he done one thing most Brighton players failed to do and that win a header, think he will be useful in his short term loan and may even score a couple!
Have you heard of a thing called punctuation?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Walton 8
Calderon 5
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett J 5
JFC 5
Gardner 3
Texeira 4
Bennett E 4
Baldock 7
KLL 2

Ince 5
CMS 5

Interesting the different opinions on LuaLua, I thought he was comically hopeless myself. We were lucky Wigan couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. Our performance was pathetically weak, especially in midfield. There's no organisation, no plan. Hyypia has to go, despite this win. We are consistently awful.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Walton 8

Calderon 6
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett 7

JFC 7
Gardner 7

Bennett 7
Lua Lua 6
Teixera 6

Baldock 7

Subs:

Ince 6
CMS 6

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Walton 8 -- fantastic debut, we have a real prospect on our hands here
Calde 5 -- love him, but he's increasingly being exposed at this level
Greer 6
Dunk 8.5 MOM -- pretty much snuffed them out on his own
J Bennett 6
Gardner 5 -- the collective 'wisdom' of NSC has turned against him, but he got through a lot of work, most of his passes worked, and scored a goal
JFC 5 -- needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck and impose himself more
Texiera 5 -- some great flashes, faded into nothing in the second half
E Bennett 6 -- infectious, intelligent and industrious
Baldock 6 -- some great runs and movement in the first half, they were there in the second too, but effective service was non-existent
KLL 4 -- poor

Subs:
Ince 7 -- imposed himself
CMS 5 -- great work-rate, but nothing more
Halford n/a -- he's a journeyman, but is just what we need at the moment

Sami 6 -- tweaked the system, it looked like a 4-1-4-1 formation, pleased for him that we got the result. The performance in the second half was dour, but our resolve was good. We've played better in about half of our games this season, but individual errors, poor finishing, and some exceptional goalkeeping have stopped us from winning.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We've played better and lost, but we need the points. Not yet seeing any improvement, Walton has a lot of promise,Elliot was ok but only that, Dunk and Ince solid, Baldocks best yet, but not that great. JFC and KLL poor. But league wise it's a move in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here