Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Young Man In Goal

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Well impressed. Only 18. Couple of good saves, confident catching, decent distribution, good long kicks and wasted time like a seasoned pro. Deservedly MOM.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Well impressed. Only 18. Couple of good saves, confident catching, decent distribution, good long kicks and wasted time like a seasoned pro. Deservedly MOM.

I agree. We have a real gen on our hands I think. Expect the club to cash in now in January.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yep he had a very good game. He looked good at spurs, but even better tonight. Not ready to be a number 1 just yet. Hopefully he can improve his kicking, fully deserves to keep the shirt.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very impressed by him - seemed very composed and confident. Not perfect with his distribution, but nonetheless a deserving MOM.

Hope he keeps the shirt for Saturday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree. We have a real gen on our hands I think. Expect the club to cash in now in January.

IMHO the way the club handle the development of Walton will be a real pointer to how they will handle the talent hopefully rolling off the production line in a couple of years.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Personally I dont like to see players rushed into first team action. Young players are very fragile and one mistake can knock a players confidence. Look how many idiots on here built up JFC and now knock him down just as quick.

For me a player with real talent needs to be nutured and we are in the posistion to do that now. even with all the talent he seems to have there is no need to rush him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He did a find job tonight for such a young lad, clearly a very bright future. Not my mom but delighted he got awarded it. I do think the big boys will be after him soon

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Utterly brilliant tonight. Better than Stockdale on that game though there's along season ahead for both IMO.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
By the second half I sought of forgot how young he is and the fact that it was his home/league debut! Showed real confidence - thought his distribution was very good. Made a point of watching him warm up and was really impressed by his handling skills - I would start him on Saturday.

The main thing that worried me at Spurs was some of his work at set pieces, particularly corners. But he was faultless tonight and that's all you can ask.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
By the second half I sought of forgot how young he is and the fact that it was his home/league debut! Showed real confidence - thought his distribution was very good. Made a point of watching him warm up and was really impressed by his handling skills - I would start him on Saturday.

Good point, I don't see how you can drop him, which makes the loan of Al-Habsi potentially another expensive cockup.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good point, I don't see how you can drop him, which makes the loan of Al-Habsi potentially another expensive cockup.

Naive

The club have put Walton in a position (ahead of Casper) where he has the comfort to play his own game and express himself rather than worry about being the only option. He now has two good performances under his belt and a MOTM. Al-Habsi & Stockdale are the men under pressure, Walton has done very well indeed and has been protected by the club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Harsh.

Walton could easily have come unstuck in his opening games. Imagine the grief if the club hadn't covered that particular issue.

OK cockup is harsh and I'm a happy bunny tonight so it was unintentionally harsh. But....

We have a keeper who has played for his country at youth level and made his debut against Premier League opposition. We might have lost that game but not by a confidence shattering level. Then tonight he was excellent, much better than our £1 million buy has been so far. Perhaps the questions are;

Does Sami trust Casper to fill in? (me and my mate don't but we don't count)
Do we need to play Stockdale to justify the price tag?
Do we need to play Stockdale's loan replacement to justify both price tags?
What will happen to Walton if he doesn't get regular first team action over the next two seasons? And what could that cost us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here