Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central midfield

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It's a long time since I can recall a more lightweight line up than JFC, Gardner, and Tex in the middle. Sami dodged a bullet big time tonight. If Wigan hadn't been so dire and had got what they deserved we'd be in meltdown right now.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Tex had his 1 good game in 6 on Saturday against B'Muff ... Apart from scoring which was very welcome did Gardner actually do anything else

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agreed re Tex. Not good enough or at least not consistent enough.
Actually thought JFC did okay given he had absolutely no support.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed re Tex. Not good enough or at least not consistent enough.
Actually thought JFC did okay given he had absolutely no support.

JFC is the only player who can keep the ball ! Glad Ince came on to stiffen it up a bit, Tex is better of wide I think at present.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
JFC is the only player who can keep the ball !.

What?...only when he isn't under pressure..... in a congested midfield he doesn't cope well, he is muscled off the ball easily,....

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
And this for me is the biggest problem this season, not the strikers or the admittedly dodgy defence. We are outplayed and out muscled in midfield in virtually every game.

I would like to see all 3 plus Holla dropped for a period of time and Kemy, Ince, Toko given a regular go at it or even Elliot in the middle. Stephens and March can't come back quick enough either.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Had I been compiling the Players scores:

Gardner scored tonight so I gave him a point for that.

Which would give him a total of ............ 1.... total for the last three games

Surely Villa have a deal with the Albion that he has to play while on loan.

Dreadful

Disagree, the changes in midfield were part of the reason why we won the game. Glad we don't play a third centre-back any more, the midfield two is a much more flexible system that allows players to get forward (first half) and defend when need be (second half).

Well done Sami

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I thought JFC had a good game. Tex had a great 1st half but faded in the 2nd. Thought Ince should have come on 15 mins earlier to bolster the midfield which was over run in the 2nd half.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's a long time since I can recall a more lightweight line up than JFC, Gardner, and Tex in the middle. Sami dodged a bullet big time tonight. If Wigan hadn't been so dire and had got what they deserved we'd be in meltdown right now.

Wigan were not that bad. Plenty of poor teams have got at least a point off us this season - if you can't beat them, join them. I'll take the 3 points over the performance anytime.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Had I been compiling the Players scores:

Gardner...

Surely Villa have a deal with the Albion that he has to play while on loan.

Dreadful

Maybe one of our lot can, ahem, have a word with him in training where he needs to go back to Villa for treatment?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harsh assessments of Gardner. He actually wasn't too bad tonight. Actually seemed to be TRYING a bit.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Disagree, the changes in midfield were part of the reason why we won the game. Glad we don't play a third centre-back any more, the midfield two is a much more flexible system that allows players to get forward (first half) and defend when need be (second half).

Well done Sami

Well done Sami? Seriously? Elliot Bennett must be awondering what the hell has happened to the team he left. We were shockingly bad tonight. Apart from the goal I'm struggling to remember if their goalkeeper had to make a save?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Well done Sami

Your posting know no bounds......................................of stupidity.

We were so weak in the middle the only reason Wigan lost was due to them passing out wide. If they carried on in the middle they could have walked it in. We were terrible and they slightly, oh very slightly worse.

Well done Sami? Seriously? Elliot Bennett must be awondering what the hell has happened to the team he left. We were shockingly bad tonight. Apart from the goal I'm struggling to remember if their goalkeeper had to make a save?

Yes seriously - we should have gone two up, LuaLua laid on two really good chances after the first goal.

The second half was a slog but defending well is also part of the game.

Well done Sami.

I understand there will be those who have totally given up him and I don't have any big argument with those people, he's still on very thin ice. But if you couldn't enjoy the progress we've made tonight, then that's a shame

Your posting know no bounds......................................of stupidity.

Sorry Sami spoiled your night - bet you were praying for Wigan to score :tantrum:

From where I was sitting the only reason we won was Wigan are hopeless up front. We were woeful in the middle and completely overrun for 80 mins.

Agree they were hopeless up front but that was their tactical choice, they chose to pack the midfield and ournumber us there and leave their average striker isolated. They had a lot of possession in the second half but never really got through a more solid defensive shape, the fullbacks stayed back and did their primary job, the other defenders did their job and the midfielders didn't allow them to walk through either. This is genuinely better than what we've seen recently.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sorry Sami spoiled your night - bet you were praying for Wigan to score :tantrum:

Sami did spoil my night by being a clueless manager for the club I've followed for 40 years home and away.

He finally played some in their correct positions but then left such a powder puff midfield in the middle it was laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here