Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turned a corner or papering over the cracks?

What's your verdict on the Wigan win?

• We've turned a corner

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • The win merely papers over the cracks

Votes: 183 81.3%

• Total voters

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I am not bothering to vote in your poll Bozza as i don't think either of your options are relevant, that was one hard game tonight and the lads put their all into the match. It wasn't pretty and on another day we could/would have lost, but we didn't. We rode our luck and got a result and i for one am proud of the effort the boys put in, their confidence is shot to pieces and it showed but they never gave up against this very hard working and physical Wigan team. We definitely need more strength and height in the middle and of course up front, but we can build on this result and maybe some of the Hyypia detractors can get behind his team and help them climb away from trouble by supporting them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's a win...it gives them a chance to build on something ...let's face it better to be discussing cracks than another draw a defeat....I'll savour that until the next game

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Thought the second half was woeful and it seemed as though Sami was waiting for the equaliser before making a substitution. If he genuinely couldn't see we were being completely overrun in midfield long before Ince came on, I really do worry...

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Dire standard of football
I've never been so bored in 2nd half watching a game of football
It was bloody poor and many were saying the same on the walk back to the car park
Blackburn DRAW
NORWICH LOSE
FULHAM LOSE
DERBY LOSE
Thought we would win tonight but has papered over the cracks
Be in the bottom 3 before Xmas SAMI OUT!!!

Sorry if my opinion isn't the same as others, but quite frankly my dears I don't give a damn

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think Wigan were incredibly difficult opponents not allowing us to play our passing game when we wanted. Some good play here and there, but we hung on and I'm proud of the lads, and Walton for a steady league debut. I have faith that this is the start of things.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dire standard of football
I've never been so bored in 2nd half watching a game of football
It was bloody poor and many were saying the same on the walk back to the car park
Blackburn DRAW
NORWICH LOSE
FULHAM LOSE
DERBY LOSE
Thought we would win tonight but has papered over the cracks
Be in the bottom 3 before Xmas SAMI OUT!!!

Sorry if my opinion isn't the same as others, but quite frankly my dears I don't give a damn

No need to apologise...I'm not going to because I disagree with yours

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who went to the match and genuinely thinks we've turned the corner watched a completely different match to the one I just witnessed.

Paper. Cracks.

This exactly. We were just unable to keep the ball in the second half. Awful.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The confidence gained by a win may in itself help but frankly we looked poor all night.

We struggled to win the ball and compete physically with Wigan and when we did have the ball we struggled to retain it. Carry on like that and we will lose a hell of a lot more than we win.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
3 points all that matters , concerns were getting outplayed for over an hour and Sami not reacting . New game sat though . Monkey off back

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
And the worst thing is by dint of winning our position is no better as Bolton and Birmingham won too so we didn't pick up any breathing space

Or you could look at it like thank **** we won or we would be 2nd bottom.

I thought we took two big steps forward tonight:

1) we finally gave Sami a decent player in Benno to reshape the team

2) Sami finally called time on his shithouse system that hasn't worked all season and went back to basics with a much more solid formation while increasing the number of real playmakers in the team to 3 from his usual 2.

Of course the second half wasn't as bright as the first. What do people expect given our long winless run? Course they were going to get nervous and drop too deep - but a big thing happened - there were no big individual clangers, we soaked up the pressure and deservedly won the 3 points.

What more can we expect at this stage?

Sami still needs better players. Baldock for me is not up to leading the line. Gardner looks better in a flexible midfield two but still lacks energy and mobility. We really need Bruno back to replace the pedestrian Calde. Sami must also get more use out of McCourt.

For me, I was delighted by tonight. It shows Sami is learning and cutting his cloth with the mostly average Championship players he has.

Blackburn for sure will pose much tougher questions than Wigan, whose decline looks similar to ours (powderpuff forwards, slow midfielders). Rosler deserves to be under as much pressure as Sami.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone who went to the match and genuinely thinks we've turned the corner watched a completely different match to the one I just witnessed.

Paper. Cracks.

We definitely haven't turned a corner but with any luck we've actually looked in the mirror and put on the indicators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here