Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactically better but still massive room for improvement

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Positives tonight- 1) Playing two wingers in their correct positions gave us many more options going forward
2) Defence seemed to push forward/get caught out of position less and were never seriously troubled

Negatives- 1) We couldn't keep hold of the ball for large parts of the game and Wigan dominated position, this is down to our weak midfield. Gardner, JFC, Texiera are too lightweight to all play together, we need Ince/Holla playing at a minimum
2) Baldock seemed largely isolated and some of our long balls in his direction were pointless and aimless.

Good to see us take one of our few chances for once but we'll need to play much better in upcoming matches against better teams.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Positives tonight- 1) Playing two wingers in their correct positions gave us many more options going forward

Wow. Other than a first minute goal and one other shot in the first half I didn't see any options going forward at all. That was up there with our very worst performances of the season but at least we somehow got 3 points. That's the only positive I can take.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Better formation, wrong personnel. The midfield was laughable. Could easily have lost that and been in the bottom three now. Sami dodged a bullet.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Tactically less sh** would be more accurate, I feel. We got away with it tonight. If he goes back to his favoured formation any time soon we'll be relegated

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Better formation (has jones had a word/got his way?) and the defence looked far more solid with full backs in the proper positions.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Better formation, wrong personnel. The midfield was laughable. Could easily have lost that and been in the bottom three now. Sami dodged a bullet.

Agree 100% still not convinced at all, just hope if we're going to stick with him he's woken up to the fact that his previous 'system' will not work.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Id personally try out a 4-2-3-1.

Ince and Holla as the two pivots in front of the back four, with one of them having licence to get forward when suitable.
Either can also fill in at full back positions when calde or Bennett go marauding forward.

LuaLua and Bennett out wide, giving us pace on the counter attack, with both able to score from distance this gives us another goal scoring threat. They are also both capable of tracking back to support the full backs.

McCourt as the central attacking midfielder. Full of flair and creativity, he can run with the ball and he can pass, he's ideal for that position.

Baldock up front, as I've said in a different thread I believe that Baldock will score goals at this level if he is given the service. With that line up, it's the best chance he's got of getting that IMO.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010

Ince and Holla as the two pivots in front of the back four, with one of them having licence to get forward when suitable.
Either can also fill in at full back positions when calde or Bennett go marauding forward.

LuaLua and Bennett out wide, giving us pace on the counter attack, with both able to score from distance this gives us another goal scoring threat. They are also both capable of tracking back to support the full backs.

McCourt as the central attacking midfielder. Full of flair and creativity, he can run with the ball and he can pass, he's ideal for that position.

Baldock up front, as I've said in a different thread I believe that Baldock will score goals at this level if he is given the service. With that line up, it's the best chance he's got of getting that IMO.

With Ali (or Walton) in goal and the usual centre back pairing I think that starting 11 looks very strong.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Wow. Other than a first minute goal and one other shot in the first half I didn't see any options going forward at all. That was up there with our very worst performances of the season but at least we somehow got 3 points. That's the only positive I can take.

We had many more options than we have done in previous matches, unfortunately they were rarely utilized as our midfield was largely lacklusture and LuaLua was having a poor game. I liked the formation but the team selection was all wrong, thankfully we got lucky.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yup, like this. Was crying out for Paddy to replace Tex in the second half tonight.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was nothing superior over previous performances this year. We've played much better and lost.

We won, which makes up for some earlier misfortunes this season. But no more than that.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yup, like this. Was crying out for Paddy to replace Tex in the second half tonight.

Really? I thought the one thing Sami got right was sacrificing Tex (who played well) to shore up the gaping holes behind him.

Actually. I'd also add the willingness to use row Z as a plus. How many times has a pressing game from the opposition left us exposed to mistakes in recent weeks. Playing percentages a little more wasn't pretty but the clean sheet suggests it worked

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
it was a fugly win.
Some of the negative play in the second half was depressing, let's have some confidence and go for it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wigan reminded me of us under Garcia at our worst in that era. They dominated the ball without ever looking like scoring. We were much tighter, grabbed the lead well and could have kicked on if Tex had scored instead of hitting the bar. There is huge room for improvement but everyone has been calling for us to tighten up in order to get 3 points. We can't really complain when we achieve that.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
We are moving backwards fast. OK we won but that was one of the worst performances I have seen from us at the Amex, We had very little possession and when we did get it we often resorted to hoofball. Only positive for me was Walton.

We had many more options than we have done in previous matches, unfortunately they were rarely utilized as our midfield was largely lacklusture and LuaLua was having a poor game. I liked the formation but the team selection was all wrong, thankfully we got lucky.

Except that midfield got the first goal and LuaLua laid on the second to Texeira on a plate. Then the midfield soaked up the pressure from Wigan in the second half. These are steps forward compared to watching the likes of Holla and Ince having no influence on proceedings whatsoever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here