Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes Brendan, this probably is your strongest team. You're right.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Football thread, football board. Jog on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What about people who love football, who happily watch a league 2 game between two teams he doesn't give a **** about, because he just loves football? Or watches a Sunday league game in the park while he walks his dog?

I love the Albion and love football. Being an Albion supporter doesn't mean I have to be ignorant about the rest of the football world.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Football thread, football board. Jog on.

yes, its a football board, so how about you put forward some information and context, rather than use it to metaphorically kick a cat.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
yes, its a football board, so how about you put forward some information and context, rather than use it to metaphorically kick a cat.

Ok- going to Madrid and putting out a reserve side, expecting to lose. It's pathetic. Go there with a strong side and win, could be a great night. No respect for the fans or the competition.

Embarrassing for all involved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No respect for the fans or the competition.

maybe, but 1-0 away suggests he got something right. avoiding a cricket score could mean the difference at the end of the group stage.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Was it a reserve side?

Not exactly a reserve side, but arguably the first five names on the teamsheet except Mignolet started on the bench. No doubt he rested players, expecting not to get a result. Look at his body language in that interview!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But probably the right team for tonight - could have got a draw with a little bit of luck. Still, maybe Brendan Rodgers knows more about football, eh.............

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It did seem very much like Liverpool were resting some players, though I guess in the case of Gerrard it may genuinely be that he can't do a full season any more.

Either way, quite odd that players may be being rested from CL matches so that they're fitter for the chase for 4th. So they can play in the CL next year.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What's the difference between this and Sami resting Paddy, Colunga, El Habsi and March?

I get the feeling you're just trolling tonight Daniel, after a few Harvey's :)

Paddy never been a starter therefore "rested" isn't accurate. Colunga has scored 2 in 10 I think, so got "dropped". El Habsi is a new signing and was replaced by a goalkeeper who kept a clean sheet and won the man of the match award. March is recovering from a long term injury and isn't fit to play.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Good article from Sid Lowe-

Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers baffles Real Madrid with his team, not tactics | Sid Lowe

In the middle of the afternoon a group of Liverpool fans gathered in Madrid’s grand Plaza Mayor, where a game of football broke out. Soon the police turned up, impromptu defenders for this kickabout on the cobbles. The fans seemed to be enjoying it until one of them, quicker to the ball than his marker, was dragged off and a policeman with dark glasses and a beret pulled out a knife and burst their ball. A few hours later, Brendan Rodgers did much the same.

Curiously, the story broke in the Spanish media first. On Monday night there was a hint when Rodgers intimated that he might rest Gerrard and the following afternoon the rumour spread. When the team sheet appeared an hour before kick off, it was confirmed.

The stadium PA announced this as Europe’s top competition and this is arguably its grandest arena, but Rodgers had chosen what looked more like a Carling Cup team, and against the champions. Liverpool supporters packed the upper north stand and thousands spread around the Santiago Bernabéu. A banner was unfurled at the other end ran: “Welcome Liverpool supporters. Great clubs have great fans.” They might be entitled to expect great teams too.

Supporters were still chanting Rodgers’ name early on. There was no rebellion. But some were deflated and a bit baffled at a line-up they felt did not reciprocate their effort. Gary Lineker described it as “unbefitting a club of Liverpool’s stature”.

The Spanish also struggled to understand. Some commentators talked about throwing the game – like too many little teams in La Liga, Liverpool arrived defeated. When Gerrard was finally introduced with 20 minutes to go, there was applause not just from Liverpool fans, but also from Madrid’s. They had wanted to see him too.

Kolo Touré, Lucas Leiva, Emre Can, Lazar Markovic, and Fabio Borini were all included; none have started more than two league games this season. Dejan Lovren, Steven Gerrard, Mario Balotelli, Raheem Stirling, Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho had played every Champions League match, but none started. The players sitting on the bench had made more appearances in this competition than those on the pitch.

If there was little optimism before, there was less now. Perhaps that was the point. As the great philosopher Homer Simpson said: “Can’t win, don’t try.” Rodgers did imply that defeat was no more inevitable with this team than with the one that had lost at Anfield; here, most would concede that he had a point when he said: “Our form this season has been nowhere near the level we have set over 18 months so it’s probably hard to pick what would be our best team at the moment.” José Mourinho couldn’t resist a sly dig: “If I don’t think I can win, maybe I don’t go,” he said.

It could be argued that the priorities lay elsewhere. Liverpool host Chelsea at the weekend and, Rodgers may have judged, qualification from this group will probably rest on the remaining two games, rather than this one. Besides, before the game Rodgers insisted that he had not thrown in the towel nor fielded a weak team.

“I think we’ve got a strong team out. We’re certainly not forfeiting the game in any way,” he said. “We’ve got nine full internationals out there and two Under-21 internationals. The last game we won was against Swansea City and a lot of these players played.”

Rodgers may have felt the need to rest players, with Gerrard among those who have looked tired. And his words and his line-up perhaps contained a warning too. Like the policeman with a knife, his authority was reimposed.

The efficacy of his decision would be judged on results: not just here, but at the weekend and in the final Champions League games. Resting players does not necessarily guarantee a reward later and there could yet be unexpected fall-out. How will those players left out of the side react? Over-emotional it may be, but Gerrard might wonder how many more opportunities he’ll get to come here. In their applause, Madrid’s fans seemed to recognise that too.

The immediate test was on the pitch. Lucas Leiva made a case for his inclusion; Kolo Touré and Alberto Moreno both went on runs up the wing and there were moments when it looked like Liverpool might break, but they were rare moments. Breaking is easier when there is a player suited to it and there was not.

Liverpool resisted for three minutes longer than they had at Anfield; 26 had passed when Karim Benzema scored. Until then, Liverpool hand handled an exceptional side reasonably well, but “resist” was the word. And by half time Liverpool trailed. Only by one, but they trailed. They had not taken a shot on goal, while Madrid had attempted 13.

Eventually, the shot came from Moreno on 55 minutes 42 seconds. It was followed by another from Lallana. In truth, though, there was little real sense of the visitors competing to win this. With Gareth Bale on as a sub and hitting the bar it was still only 1-0, a lesser loss than the one a fortnight ago with a stronger side, and Liverpool had prevented Cristiano Ronaldo from the apparently inevitable: he will have to wait to become the Champions League’s all-time top scorer.

Perhaps that was the aim: damage limitation. But if the damage was limited, it was done.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What's the difference between this and Sami resting Paddy, Colunga, El Habsi and March?

I get the feeling you're just trolling tonight Daniel, after a few Harvey's :)

Paddy never been a starter therefore "rested" isn't accurate. Colunga has scored 2 in 10 I think, so got "dropped". El Habsi is a new signing and was replaced by a goalkeeper who kept a clean sheet and won the man of the match award. March is recovering from a long term injury and isn't fit to play.

El Habsi was I eligible to play against his parent club wasn't he?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meh, it was only the Champions' League against Real Madrid. They're not going to win the tournament so what's the point? Far better to focus on those all-important three league points on offer at the weekend. Win enough league games and you can qualify for the, er, Champions' League.

It's just simply Premier League team Cup mentality taken to its logical conclusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here