Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalie for tonight?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd definitely go with Walton tonight. He did well against Spurs and deserves the shirt against Wigan

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I want it to be Walton, and I think Hyypia will select Walton -- the report in today's Argus suggests as much.
Selecting an 18yo goalkeeper for their league debut is not what most managers do, especially when their position is precarious but, for several reasons, it looks like a good decision.

I want it to be Walton, and I think Hyypia will select Walton -- the report in today's Argus suggests as much.
Selecting an 18yo goalkeeper for their league debut is not what most managers do, especially when their position is precarious but, for several reasons, it looks like a good decision.

Casper it is then.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I want Walton but I fear it'll be Ankergren and then we'll probably lose due to a 'keepers error

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I do feel for Ankergren to be fair. He played very well in pre season and had looked like he was going to be our number 1 keeper until we signed Stockdale. I also think he played quite well at Swindon in the capital one cup this season and i'm not sure why he didn't get the game in the next round v.s. Burton. As for Walton, he's a bright young prospect who made a good debut last week. But he is still very young as a goalkeeper. For me, what he needs is a year out on loan getting used to regular football and the match day experience. He'll learn nothing as second/third choice for us. I would be very surprised if he didn't head out on loan sometime soon after the Wigan match. Anks is fine on the bench and to come off the bench if needs be. If Al-Habsi gets injured/sent off or whatever, then i'm all for calling back Walton to play.

I thought Walton looked nervous at Spurs, I was surprised at the high levels of praise he got. Will have my heart in my mouth tonight, an 18-year-old keeper is not ideal if you are trying to stay out of the bottom 3.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I thought Walton looked nervous at Spurs, I was surprised at the high levels of praise he got. Will have my heart in my mouth tonight, an 18-year-old keeper is not ideal if you are trying to stay out of the bottom 3.

I thought he did well with the exception of his kicking, which was poor.

Having said that, it was 10 x better than Al Habsi's was on Saturday.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What sort of idiot signs a keeper on loan as cover for a month. So as not to throw in Walton, who the manager(lol) clearly didn't think was ready for league action(otherwise Walton would have played Saturday). For the loan keeper to be ineligible for the very next game. Most teams carry three keepers these days, surely there was someone we could have got, who could have actually played, while we pay his wages!!!....Although why am I not surprised by this, judging by what's going on, on the field atm.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As for Walton, he's a bright young prospect who made a good debut last week. But he is still very young as a goalkeeper. For me, what he needs is a year out on loan getting used to regular football and the match day experience. He'll learn nothing as second/third choice for us. I would be very surprised if he didn't head out on loan sometime soon after the Wigan match. Anks is fine on the bench and to come off the bench if needs be. If Al-Habsi gets injured/sent off or whatever, then i'm all for calling back Walton to play.

I think the point might be that Walton is an important part of the U21s - and we are taking the U21s more seriously now; we've got the academy, and the U21s are in a competitive league, so probably justified in placing greater emphasis on their performance.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You get the impression that Casper has somehow blotted his copybook. I am sure that he will be devastated that he didn't get the nod as Stockdale's replacement, and now being superseded by a loanee he must be thinking the end is nigh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here