Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Without our supporters we don't exist" Paul Beirne: from NHL, NBA and MLS to BHAFC

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"Without our supporters we don't exist" Paul Beirne: from NHL, NBA and MLS to BHAFC

Blog post about Paul Beirne, the Albion's head of commercial development, who joined the club after successful career at some top NHL clubs and who helped launch Toronto FC.

CLICK HERE

He's a good bloke.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Blog post about Paul Beirne, the Albion's head of commercial development, who joined the club after successful career at some top NHL clubs and who helped launch Toronto FC.

CLICK HERE

He's a good bloke.

Blimey, I thought most of that was Barber's job. Could it be that our problem is becoming not so much players' wages as non-players' wages? We seem to be creating a massive bureaucracy. Time was when we'd have had a club secretary (singular!); I know times have moved on, and all that, but is the balance right?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Blimey, I thought most of that was Barber's job. Could it be that our problem is becoming not so much players' wages as non-players' wages? We seem to be creating a massive bureaucracy. Time was when we'd have had a club secretary (singular!); I know times have moved on, and all that, but is the balance right?
My guess would be that Tony Bloom knows his onions when it comes to the organisation of commercial matters.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
"Without our supporters we don't exist" Paul Beirne

Supporters want ONE thing, a successful team. Deliver that and you'll grow the fan base.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He was at a NWSS meeting a couple of months ago, just after he started.

I wasn't impressed.

PB: I think we need to work a little harder to move the match-day tickets at the Albion.

No s**t Sherlock

PB : First – the transport program fascinates me. I think we have a system that is best in the world,Here at the Amex you can be off the site and on your way in 15-20 minutes.

"can be"

Only if you leave before the end of the match.

No wonder we have such high operational costs" if we are employing guys like this. I though most of what he does was Barber's responsibility?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
one guess is as good as another guess, I guess.
my "guess" that Tony Bloom is reasonably savvy on commercial matters does come with a little evidence behind it... :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I wasn't impressed.

PB: I think we need to work a little harder to move the match-day tickets at the Albion.

No s**t Sherlock

PB : First – the transport program fascinates me. I think we have a system that is best in the world,Here at the Amex you can be off the site and on your way in 15-20 minutes.

"can be"

No wonder we have such high operational costs" if we are employing guys like this. I though most of what he does was Barber's responsibility?
Needlessly negative opinions. Our transport system is incredibly efficient. Fans have a number of choices but all involve getting away from the stadium with relative ease.

SAC

May 21, 2014
We have a great product at a great price.

He obviously doesn't pay to get in and presumably hasn't been watching when he gets there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

"can be"

We park in the Uni car park. I never leave before the end. It takes 10 minutes to walk to the car and never queue for more than ten before we are on th A27.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I wasn't impressed.

No s**t Sherlock

"can be"

Couple of weeks ago I was going to Hastings after the game. Left a few minutes after the final whistle, was in Hastings by about 6.20-6.25. Thought that was absolutely fantastic. I've also got back into town on the train incredibly quickly as well, never leaving early.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

No, not at all. Two or three of our highest earning players will earn as much as all of the rest of the staff put together. It is solely ridiculous player wages that are to blame.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I wasn't impressed.

No s**t Sherlock

"can be"

Almost never had a problem with trains going either way. I realise there are some issues, such as connecting trains going west, but don't think most people have a problem.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We have a great product at a great price.

He obviously doesn't pay to get in and presumably hasn't been watching when he gets there.
Yeah, I was thinking that. Good luck with shifting more match tickets if that's what you think, Paul.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tonight I'm going to have a quick pint after and fully expect to be on the next timetabled train to Brighton.

The piece states that Paul will be on The Albion Roar this weekend. Would be good if [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] could ask where the lines of management responsibility now sit, i.e. what are Paul Beirne's targets and what are Paul Barber's? My guess would be that this seems to be a sort of combination of Operations and Sales and Marketing type role allowing Paul Barber to run the club day by day on behalf of TB. However, that's not quite what others have stated in the past.

Have a read though, Not Worth That is a great blog and it's worth while making your own mind up.

My first Albion match had a few unexpected surprises. First – the transport program fascinates me. I think we have a system that is best in the world, and is really an example of big, blue-sky thinking. My last job was in Ottawa where the Senators play in a venue outside the city surrounded by parking lots and almost no public transport, and we spent hours and hours trying to get exiting times down to under an hour. Here at the Amex you can be off the site and on your way in 15-20 minutes. That is really remarkable for any venue, anywhere.

:moo: You spin me right round baby right round!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be grand to see the "Without our supporters we don't exist" quote fully embraced by the club and displayed loud and proud in bold letters everywhere that the trite 'BE BOLD'/'ONE CLUB. ONE AMBITION' type bolleaux slogans spun by the marketing department are currently displayed. Chairmen, directors, managers, players are all just passing through. It's OUR club, and they lose sight of that simple fact at their peril.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Tonight I'm going to have a quick pint after and fully expect to be on the next timetabled train to Brighton.

The piece states that Paul will be on The Albion Roar this weekend. Would be good if [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] could ask where the lines of management responsibility now sit, i.e. what are Paul Beirne's targets and what are Paul Barber's? My guess would be that this seems to be a sort of combination of Operations and Sales and Marketing type role allowing Paul Barber to run the club day by day on behalf of TB. However, that's not quite what others have stated in the past.

Have a read though, Not Worth That is a great blog and it's worth while making your own mind up.

Good question. Would be interested to hear the answer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some surprisingly cynical responses above. All I can say is that I had a drink with our newest Paul B shortly after he arrived in the UK and he seems to be a really decent chap, well grounded and well qualified to try and make improvements in the areas he has responsibility for. I'd also expect him to be a generally positive influence on the areas he doesn't have direct responsibility for.

It's a tough task filling the empty Amex seats though, particularly when faced with the current run of results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here