Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes 5th with kids

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Only been once but without kids. Any tips which society to go too, how to get there (prefer to bus or car train seemed rammed when I went) and times?

Cheers

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
If I were to go with kids I'd head for south street, their display tends to start a lot earlier than the others. The firesite is just along from the carpark off cliffe high street.
Transport wise buses run from over by caffyns. Bit would be far easier to get a bus after that display than wait in a long queue after 11 once all the other displays are done

It'll be a long evening for the kids, but I would recommend arriving early. Processions start at about 5.30 in the Cliffe High Street area and crowds are not excessive at that time. If you can then escape from the Cliffe, make your way to the top end of town (near the Black Horse / St Anne's Church), where you'll get a good view of the United Grand Procession and its preliminaries. As for which bonfire / display to go to, I always used to recommend first timers to go to Waterloo's display (near the river / Tesco's), where admission was free. But this year, Waterloo are charging £3 (wristbands available early evening) and it's difficult to guess how this will shake out. As suggested above, South Street's firesite is worth thinking about.

As for travel to and from Lewes ... if you don't fancy trains, buses 28 and 29 will be running, but whether they will have the capacity is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Buses still get busy although if you head over at a sensible time shouldn't be too bad. It's extra services that run coming back but not sure whether they add extra buses going to lewes

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Initially I thought the title was referring to Lewes FC having made 5th spot whilst playing youngsters. Perhaps a blue print, given our successful Under 18s side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here