Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you renew your Argus subscription now that Michael Beard has resigned?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
3352378.jpg

Well, will you?:albion2:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Time for hove born&bred to step up to the plate.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How can Beard go in November of all months? Life is clearly not fair.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not renewing my subscription until that fool Owen stops including a misuse of the word 'admit' in every piece he writes.

Bring back Simon Bradshaw

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The only annoyance I ever had with The Argus used to be how it painfully sat on the fence on every issue.

Now I wish those days would come back. It appears to have few ground reporters and churns out tabloid-esque coverage. It's as if it has become the first stepping stone for graduates before they move on to the red-tops.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I'm not surprised. Moist of the Argus is now sub-edited and laid out in Weymouth, Dorset so the role of the editor is presumably much diminished. Gone are the days when it was all there in front of the editor just before printing. The editor of the Argus probably worried much more about budgets (especially given the rapacious attitude of the paper's owners, Newsquest) then what's actually in between the advertisements; he just isn't daft enough to state the real reasons why he's quit. Dick Knight in his book mentions the success of the Albion's website, where he says that for the first time the club could communicate directly with fans: and that's gonna be the way forward in the future. So where now for a once proud newspaper? Probably end up being given away free on street corners like the Evening Standard in London.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Argus Editor was once one of the most coveted jobs in Regional Media.

That the Editor is leaving for little more than a PR role speaks volumes really. 13,500 copies sold daily with less than £5k in the Brighton and Hove core area tells it's own story. The website traffic is very good, but they struggle to monetise it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't you think people are getting the journalism they deserve, though?

No one wants to pay for anything, journalists are paid a pittance especially at local level, and the whole service has been cut and downgraded for years. It just seems that large swathes of the population don't know the difference between good and bad journalism, and don't particularly care either. If they did, they wouldn't read that Metro free sh!t. It reminds me a bit of teachers, anyone decent is leaving after years of seeing pay cut and working conditions worsened.

The move to Twitter/Facebook means there are a lot more words out there and bloggers who think they are journalists, but they aren't. The phenomenon has certainly not helped the quality.

It just seems to me it is one of those important institutions that you won't miss until it is gone and we get all our news written by PR companies, and anything important is suppressed by those running the country, government and big business.

I have just got back from China, and I would hate to see the day that we covered news the way that country covers the Hong Kong protests (total disgrace), but if you place such a low value on truth and objectivity then that's what you end up with.

I think it's very sad what has happened to The Argus.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Argus Editor was once one of the most coveted jobs in Regional Media.

That the Editor is leaving for little more than a PR role speaks volumes really. 13,500 copies sold daily with less than £5k in the Brighton and Hove core area tells it's own story. The website traffic is very good, but they struggle to monetise it.
Why buy The Argus when you can read local news online and pick up a free print copy of Metro for other daily news ?

Why buy The Argus when you can read local news online and pick up a free print copy of Metro for other daily news ?

Because it costs about a third of a price of a cup of coffee? It's a shame people don't support local journalism - you're not really being asked to pay that much.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here