Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smells like team spirit...

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I was at Bournemouth and Spurs and it has to be said that the team is starting to gel. There were definitely signs of spirit at Spurs, and at Bournemouth both during the warm up and the game itself it was clear that something resembling fight and heart was being forged. Equally, in the stands some passion was evident and this sent a message to the pitch.

Let's remember that this is a fairly disparate group of professional football players brought together out of necessity rather than any overarching strategy and creating a team out of that isn't going to happen overnight.

I felt really sorry for Aaron Hughes as he looked sharp, and he was rousing the troops after the warm-up. During the small part he had in the game he looked good and he must be gutted. When walking off, all the players were encouraging each other and motivation to perform was shown.

I am not a fan of Hyypia, and have made my feelings known about his tactical inflexibility on here, however, it is at times like these that team spirit is created. Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have been experts in creating a false 'siege-mentality' over the years to crystallise togetherness. By default we have sleep-walked into a 'siege' in the league table, with everyone seemingly assured that we were 'in a false position' and 'certain to be get out of it'. Well we are in a 'true' position now and this could have a positive reaction, I have certainly seen signs of it on the pitch.

Hyypia now has a chance to grab hold of the crisis mentality and turn it into something special, we will find out over the next couple of games if he has it in him. Let's see...

What is also clear is that the fans need to play their part. I felt we sucked the ball in for Baldock's goal on Saturday, one of the most special atmospheres I can remember for a game, and this needs to carry on.

What will be will be against Wigan and Blackburn, and the outcome from that as this is the key moment of the season for me, but until that time let's get behind the team...

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Thought the team gelled against Cardiff, Forest away etc but it hasn't has it. Another 5 changes for tomorrow.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I was at Bournemouth and Spurs and it has to be said that the team is starting to gel. There were definitely signs of spirit at Spurs, and at Bournemouth both during the warm up and the game itself it was clear that something resembling fight and heart was being forged. Equally, in the stands some passion was evident and this sent a message to the pitch.

Let's remember that this is a fairly disparate group of professional football players brought together out of necessity rather than any overarching strategy and creating a team out of that isn't going to happen overnight.

I felt really sorry for Aaron Hughes as he looked sharp, and he was rousing the troops after the warm-up. During the small part he had in the game he looked good and he must be gutted. When walking off, all the players were encouraging each other and motivation to perform was shown.

I am not a fan of Hyypia, and have made my feelings known about his tactical inflexibility on here, however, it is at times like these that team spirit is created. Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have been experts in creating a false 'siege-mentality' over the years to crystallise togetherness. By default we have sleep-walked into a 'siege' in the league table, with everyone seemingly assured that we were 'in a false position' and 'certain to be get out of it'. Well we are in a 'true' position now and this could have a positive reaction, I have certainly seen signs of it on the pitch.

Hyypia now has a chance to grab hold of the crisis mentality and turn it into something special, we will find out over the next couple of games if he has it in him. Let's see...

What is also clear is that the fans need to play their part. I felt we sucked the ball in for Baldock's goal on Saturday, one of the most special atmospheres I can remember for a game, and this needs to carry on.

What will be will be against Wigan and Blackburn, and the outcome from that as this is the key moment of the season for me, but until that time let's get behind the team...
i thought there was more passion and spirit on saturday against bournemouth then there was against spurs and i thought we made it so easy for spurs

el punal

Good post! I was also at Bournemouth and had the same thoughts. It will be interesting to see if the boys can kick on now and get a decent result against Wigan and Blackburn i.e. 2 wins. No more false dawns, please!

Sorry I thought we were dreadful at Spurs. Looked like a bunch of youth teamers giving a training drill to the first team.

But yes B'muff much better

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

I agree that we seemed to play slightly better at both Spurs and Bournmouth. However this could easily be down to the fact that;

1. Spurs are a decent prem team so we not only needed to raise our game against them just to match, but also that each player may have been thinking of their own career and want to impress.
2. The cherries game was on TV. This again made the players raise their game so as not to look sh1t on camera.

I could be wrong of course, but lets just see how they perform tomorrow night.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Thought the team gelled against Cardiff, Forest away etc but it hasn't has it. Another 5 changes for tomorrow.
I think this has been part of the problem. Hyypia needs to grasp the moment, and decide on *his* best 11, sod everyone else.

Good managers and leaders show guts and resilience, this is what he has to do.

In turn the team will follow...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Smells like content?

[yt]ZHNArEfBKdc[/yt]

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
On recent form I expected us to be hammered at both matches last week,it was necessary to play a defensive side, so little service to the forward/s?

Doctor Beaker

Oct 30, 2014
Good post! I was also at Bournemouth and had the same thoughts. It will be interesting to see if the boys can kick on now and get a decent result against Wigan and Blackburn i.e. 2 wins. No more false dawns, please!

Could not agree more.

The time has come.

Time to get behind the whole club.

All of them - now is not too early.

No more negative stuff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i thought there was more passion and spirit on saturday against bournemouth then there was against spurs and i thought we made it so easy for spurs

Agree with this. Thought the performance at spurs was bereft of any spirit. Not what you would expect for a cup game against Premier opposition, especially when we went a goal down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here