Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere in 'the modern game'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Old Trafford has long been so quiet you can hear the barcode scanner bleep in the club shop"

Funny.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure it does fit us though, considering - for at least the first 2-3 years certainly - the Amex has been FAR louder than the Goldstone.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
He's pretty much nailed it

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I watched a bit of the villa v spurs game yesterday and apart from the odd chant it could well have been a game down preston park on a sunday morning atmosphere wise , cant really remember the last away ground i visited and the home support were that loud .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jose Mourinhio was moaning about the Chelsea fans after the QPR game saying it was like playing in 'an empty stadium'. Chelsea fans hit back by saying that every time they stand up to cheer they get sent a letter telling them to sit down in future or else.

We've discussed it before of course. Sadly most people seem to prefer the modern soulless "sit down in safety and enjoy the Stadium Experience in the correct manner" approach.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That was an interesting article, but the author is suggesting there's a certain inevitability about the atmosphere deteriorating over time and I take issue with him on that.

If you want to improve the atmosphere it is not hard to achieve, just look at why the German fan experience is exceptional and how they go about it: safe standing, cheaper matchday tickets, affordable beer, a culture of exciting, attacking football, cheap reliable and plentiful public transport.

Compare that with British football: no standing, expensive tickets, expensive beer, bland football, insufficient public transport.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a worthy reply to your clueless post.

How is it clueless to state the FACT that The Amex has generally been MUCH louder than the Goldstone was, thus disproving the point of the article in relation to Brighton?

Actually answer the points raised, rather than giving a short, childish response.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure it does fit us though, considering - for at least the first 2-3 years certainly - the Amex has been FAR louder than the Goldstone.

Save your typing fingers Mello.

The majority on here will refuse to admit just how silent The Goldstone usually was.

Naturally we all remember the 'good old days', unfortunately the reality of the endless quiet months in between the highlights haven't stayed in mind.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Save your typing fingers Mello.

The majority on here will refuse to admit just how silent The Goldstone usual was.

Naturally we all remember the 'good old days', unfortunately the reality of the endless quiet months in between the highlights haven't stayed in mind.

MASSIVE rose tinteds when it comes to noise levels at the Goldstone. Unless you were right in the middle of the ONE group of lads singing in the North, it was pretty quiet for the rest of the ground the vast, vast majority of the time. The Amex generates far more noise, far more regularly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
MASSIVE rose tinteds when it comes to noise levels at the Goldstone. Unless you were right in the middle of the ONE group of lads singing in the North, it was pretty quiet for the rest of the ground the vast, vast majority of the time. The Amex generates far more noise, far more regularly.
and for many a game you'd have been hard pressed to the group of lad(s).

westy1983

Feb 28, 2005
Hove
That was an interesting article, but the author is suggesting there's a certain inevitability about the atmosphere deteriorating over time and I take issue with him on that.

If you want to improve the atmosphere it is not hard to achieve, just look at why the German fan experience is exceptional and how they go about it: safe standing, cheaper matchday tickets, affordable beer, a culture of exciting, attacking football, cheap reliable and plentiful public transport.

Compare that with British football: no standing, expensive tickets, expensive beer, bland football, insufficient public transport.

I think it will only get worse. There is an easy way to change it though, but no club seems to want to be the first to do it - massively lower prices. Particularly in the PL where the new TV money makes such a differnce. That and legislation for safe standing which still seems a while off.

All been said before as you say, with nothign changing.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Exactly. It IS possible, it's just that English football chose to go down a different route of higher prices that in turn has led to more docile (and easier to control) crowds. They can't have it both ways.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it will only get worse. There is an easy way to change it though, but no club seems to want to be the first to do it - massively lower prices. Particularly in the PL where the new TV money makes such a differnce. That and legislation for safe standing which still seems a while off.

All been said before as you say, with nothign changing.

Player wages are simply so high that it's economically not possible - wages would need to fall by a third across the board.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I've remembered this correct:-

With the new deal in place ALL the Premier League sides could play in empty stadiums, and still make more money than under the previous deal.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lot of truth in that. The Amex when full (which it often was in the first few years) was WAY better then the Goldstone for atmosphere. Partly that was because for season after season the largely-open Goldstone was never full. And I'm not just talking about the last few years when it was a crumbling ruin, I can remember many, many times when it was all but silent - even during the Glory Years. (Mullery once said the North Stand "seems to have dried up")

On the other hand, on the few occasions when it was packed to the rafters ...... oh my.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here