Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion get a break with Hughes injury - but it's still a waiting game [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion defender Aaron Hughes has not broken his ankle.
But the Seagulls are still waiting to discover the full extent of the damage he suffered in the early stages of Saturday night's 3-2 defeat at Bournemouth.
Hughes was hurt when he landed on the foot of opponent Marc Pugh heading the ball into touch.
Boss Sami Hyypia said this morning: "There is nothing on the bone, so that's a good thing. If the bone was broken or something happened to the bone it would be a long process.
"Now we are waiting for the swelling to go down. Then we will be able to assess it a little bit better.
"If it's ligament damage we are talking about weeks more than months I think. I'm not a doctor so I can't really say how long and every individual heals in a different time frame."
The Argus website revealed on Saturday night that Hughes' absence has caused Albion a loan problem. They have already borrowed five players - the maximum allowed in the matchday squad - and will try to sign centre-half cover for Hughes and a striker before the loan window closes on November 27.
Hyypia said: "That's possible. At the moment in the centre of defence we are lacking some players and both players (Gordon Greer and Lewis Dunk) are on four yellows, so I hope they don't get the fifth yellow in the same game.
"It's not an ideal situation but I hope our loan players will understand that only five can be on the list and we will try to figure out in each game which five would be the five for that game if that was the case."
Hughes' injury is also a blow to Northern Ireland. He has been capped 93 times by his country and has helped them to the top of their Euro 2016 qualifying group.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here