Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting further problem for Hyypia

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I gather from today's Argus that we can only have 5 loan players in a match day squad. We already have Gardner, Bennett x 2, Tex and Al Habsi. Now our only back up Central defender is possibly long term injured we may have to dip into the loan market again.

Not personally a big fan of the whole loan system but it is gonna give Hyypia more headaches. I imagine most on here will give a sigh of relief and suggest Gardner is dropped, I wouldn't bet on Sami agreeing.

It also makes signing a loan striker a bit more unlikely, if it was ever on the cards anyway?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You've nailed it, I think either on another or on Twitter this has been mentioned.

It has to be Gardner. At times uninterested, playing for himself rather than the team, rarely puts in a shift and basically a waste of a salary. So called dead-ball expert hasn't managed to hit the target yet.

If I'm being hyper-critical, I wonder why Al-Habsi came in, when we've got Casper if we want experience. It seems obvious his contract won't be renewed and therefore his morale must be low. (To clarify Al-Habsi isn't a bad keeper, just another strange recruiting decision for me).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You've nailed it, I think either on another or on Twitter this has been mentioned.

It has to be Gardner. At times uninterested, playing for himself rather than the team, rarely puts in a shift and basically a waste of a salary. So called dead-ball expert hasn't managed to hit the target yet.

If I'm being hyper-critical, I wonder why Al-Habsi came in, when we've got Casper if we want experience. It seems obvious his contract won't be renewed and therefore his morale must be low. (To clarify Al-Habsi isn't a bad keeper, just another strange recruiting decision for me).
Yep a complete waste of time getting habsi in while the other two do nothing or sit on the bench.If we really did have a goalkeeping crisis then we could've got an emergency loan nearer the time.

Time to send Gardner back as he's bloody useless and costing us a tidy amount no doubt

It's not a problem. Sami had to give Gardner his chance to prove himself. I'm sure Sami can see what we can see. I'm hoping Benno will be used in one of the midfield spots in front of the deep lying DM. He is disciplined and can track back if need be, yet can provide some spark to our play that an out of form player like Gardner can't

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I agree Gardner has been poor and would start Ince over him. However, with Crofts and Stephens both out we have limited cover in central midfield and so it's going to be hard to leave him out of the squad. Even more so as Ince is our back up centre half now.

People can criticise Hyypia all they want but we have given a much weaker squad than previous seasons. Which is mainly down to either Burke or Bloom (depending on whether it was the budget or what we've made of it). I feel really sorry for Hyypia as he's had no luck so far. Yes, he's made poor decisions but he's not been helped by the club!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Difficult issue if looking to loan defender in, is that he will only play if greer or dunk becomes injured. If either suspended probably could get by for one game . would anyone be keen to come in just to sit on bench or in stand.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree Gardner has been poor and would start Ince over him. However, with Crofts and Stephens both out we have limited cover in central midfield and so it's going to be hard to leave him out of the squad. Even more so as Ince is our back up centre half now.

People can criticise Hyypia all they want but we have given a much weaker squad than previous seasons. Which is mainly down to either Burke or Bloom (depending on whether it was the budget or what we've made of it). I feel really sorry for Hyypia as he's had no luck so far. Yes, he's made poor decisions but he's not been helped by the club!

Not really when we have 3 midfielders playing a similar role. Gardner does not fit the Stephens or Crofts role that well, and I would rather see Charlie Harris called up than have someone whose efforts for the team appear negligible.

In terms of Hyypia, yes, he has been unlucky, but his tactics are flawed and there is an apparent reluctance to change something that isn't working. His substitutions are not the best either, though he is probably lacking a decent Assistant in that respect.

Burke I agree, is part of the problem, if this years recruitment is anything to go by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here