Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strachan says .....

FlowersBrighton

Mar 24, 2012
Just listening to Gordon Strachan on Goals on Sunday taking about managing the Scottish team. Says he went with an idea for a system but quickly realised it wouldn't work with the players he had. So he found a system that would work with the players he had. Not doing too bad are they? Food for thought.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's done a very good job with them. Sadly I think they will fall just short of Euro qualification, no shame in that with such a tough group.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Much better to persist with a system that you don't have the players for and everyone can see is flawed IMHO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My first thought is that the Scotland team manager has a small, fixed pool of players to choose from and can't bring in who he wants in the transfer market so the situation is different. But if Burke has as much say as many say he has then maybe it IS like an international manager's job after all. In which case the tactics must be changed.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just listening to Gordon Strachan on Goals on Sunday taking about managing the Scottish team. Says he went with an idea for a system but quickly realised it wouldn't work with the players he had. So he found a system that would work with the players he had. Not doing too bad are they? Food for thought.

But isn't it better to lose and draw and have a team looking lost rather than change your view of the correct tactics - that would seem the shrewd way to go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how much input McGhee has? For most of his time here, tinkering with tactics and player positions worked well. It was TB's pressure that saw him sacked I believe? TB also binned Slade. Neither were his appointments though so I suggest Sami will probably get more time than he possibly deserves, given his inflexibility

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Crazy talk! That type of talk doesn't belong on here. Why would you change your style of play to suit the players at your disposal? THat's soooooooooooooooooo old school.

Far better to stick with a system the players cannot play and end up relegated than admit you was wrong.

Seriously though, I think the problem with Hyppia is not that he won't change the system, I think its more that he doesn't know how to change the system. People on here hammer Burke for his player recruitment, but I think a lot of the blame really has to lay with Bloom and Barber for their manager recruitment policy!

I wonder how much input McGhee has? For most of his time here, tinkering with tactics and player positions worked well. It was TB's pressure that saw him sacked I believe? TB also binned Slade. Neither were his appointments though so I suggest Sami will probably get more time than he possibly deserves, given his inflexibility

You can certainly contrast our White Hart Lane performances in 2005 and 2014 as a manager doing his best with what he had, and a manager not.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Doesn't McGee still live in Brighton? We could do worse if he was prepared to be an assistant manager.

Crazy talk! That type of talk doesn't belong on here. Why would you change your style of play to suit the players at your disposal? THat's soooooooooooooooooo old school.

Far better to stick with a system the players cannot play and end up relegated than admit you was wrong.

Seriously though, I think the problem with Hyppia is not that he won't change the system, I think its more that he doesn't know how to change the system. People on here hammer Burke for his player recruitment, but I think a lot of the blame really has to lay with Bloom and Barber for their manager recruitment policy!

Shirley Hypia must've played more than one system in his playing days? So to suggest he doesn't know what to change is crazy! !

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Shirley Hypia must've played more than one system in his playing days? So to suggest he doesn't know what to change is crazy! !
In that case then, we'll just have to put him down as a shit manager, because after going 11 games without a win, of he knew what to change, you would have thought he would have done it by now!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Madness I tell ya. Changing to suit the players, it will never catch on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Doesn't McGee still live in Brighton? We could do worse if he was prepared to be an assistant manager.

Sat next to him on the train back to brighton from London on Thursday.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Did he say off the record,hyypia is the most tactically inept manger he has seen and his lack of changing tactics will get you relegated,and I'm better then that little brown nose jones,because come on what assistant/coach stays when the managers go,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here