Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee yesterday.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Have e-mailed the Football League re the appointment of Bournemouth - born, Dorset dwelling Keith Stroud, which I find a little odd....await their answer with anticipation .

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Agreed. This is a problem, because a top level player would have most likely gone down and won the penalty. Diving is one of the worst aspects of the modern game, but this is exactly why players do it.

Whereas KLL, who does seem to have a bit of form for falling over, actually stayed on his feet for once, and still didn't get the pen.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agreed. This is a problem, because a top level player would have most likely gone down and won the penalty. Diving is one of the worst aspects of the modern game, but this is exactly why players do it.

I completely agree with this. Referees moan about players going down easily and it's hard to judge, yet when they stay on their feet they rarely get the rewards.

In terms of yesterday's referee, it was clearly a penalty on LuaLua, which at 2-2 was a big decision. He also tended to book our players for less than theirs in my view. However, other than the penalty I don't think he changed the game much, it's just an odd appointment.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He did a decent job last night but should never have been given the chance. I seem to remember an Aston Villa fan being put in charge of the Chelsea-West Brom match last season, with Chelsea somehow winning a rather suspect penalty in the last minute to draw 2-2.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
He was a little 'card' happy but the same for both sides so no apparent bias. Does make you wonder who makes these appointments though doesn't it. If he had given a penalty against like that incompetent Hooper against Calde, this would be a raging thread.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was largely ok. Got the Dunk penalty decision right, but why appoint someone from Dorset, madness. Thought KLL's booking was harsh at the end, we were losing he was hardly time-wasting.....

Thought Pugh was a little fortunate to escape a booking in the first half for persistent foul play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was OK, but very lenient with Pugh given the other bookings he made.

I see Teddy Maybank has just posted the same.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He was largely ok. Got the Dunk penalty decision right, but why appoint someone from Dorset, madness. Thought KLL's booking was harsh at the end, we were losing he was hardly time-wasting.....

Thought Pugh was a little fortunate to escape a booking in the first half for persistent foul play.

It's a joke that we got five bookings last night. Really can't see how that could happen.

Also, Bennett got booked for dissent but they argued about most decisions yet got no booking. I really can't see why people think he did okay. If he'd got the penalty shout on KLL right, we'd have had a great chance to go 3-2 up and it could be very different on here today!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's a joke that we got five bookings last night. Really can't see how that could happen.

Also, Bennett got booked for dissent but they argued about most decisions yet got no booking. I really can't see why people think he did okay. If he'd got the penalty shout on KLL right, we'd have had a great chance to go 3-2 up and it could be very different on here today!

Glad you posted that as thought much the same. Ritchie should have be booked for that foul on the edge of the area inside the first 10min then proceeded to barrack the referee after every decision during the match without punishment. Pugh much the same throughout. Not sure on the penalty as think Kaz made his mind up by staying on his feet and overall not sure he influenced the result but was hugely inconsistent in the game

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think it was the soft bookings that got me. The corner that was not, and a pen for KLL. These decisions change the game.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Glad you posted that as thought much the same. Ritchie should have be booked for that foul on the edge of the area inside the first 10min then proceeded to barrack the referee after every decision during the match without punishment. Pugh much the same throughout. Not sure on the penalty as think Kaz made his mind up by staying on his feet and overall not sure he influenced the result but was hugely inconsistent in the game

Agree about the Ritchie foul. It was a really good move and he just hacked Bennett down when he was in behind them. Absolutely definite booking! Yet Calde got booked for a nothing foul.

Ritchie, as you say, spent the whole game arguing with every decision. How did we end up with five bookings and them only two or three?

I think you're right about Kaz staying on his feet but that shouldn't matter. Referees are always saying players make it hard by going down to easily. Well, who can blame them if they get nothing for trying to stay on their feet?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think it was the soft bookings that got me. The corner that was not, and a pen for KLL. These decisions change the game.

Didn't get a good view of the corner for the second goal but heard complaints. Should it have been a goal kick then? If so, he gave them a goal and denied us a penalty. Pretty big decisions!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thought he was decent. No complaints

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Replays showed it was a corner. That was a good decision

Re: The lualua penalty.

He didn't really get it wrong, as such. Yes, it was a foul and he could have given the penalty, but he played the advantage as Lualua stayed on his feet and retained possession, Lualua then played a dangerous ball across the box and none of our players reacted well enough. Play is pulled back to the point of a foul if there is no advantage, not if you squander the advantage you had.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here