Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The crushing effect of parachute payments...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
....isn't currently being felt in The Championship.

Watford 1st
Bournemouth 2nd
Middlesboro 3rd
Derby 5th

Fulham, Blackpool and Bolton all struggling. Makes you think doesn't it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not really, no.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but it massively increases chances of success which is why Chelsea and Manchester City are where they are, and Hartlepool sit at the bottom of the 92.

There are always going to be exceptions which buck the trend in both directions - we've even been one ourselves over the last two seasons.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Watford 1st
Bournemouth 2nd
Middlesboro 3rd
Derby 5th

Agreed and what's even funnier is that the ex prem clubs are the ones with huge debts aswell i,e bolton and cardiff etc👍

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There's always going to be clubs that punch above their weight (like we did at Withdean) and there's always going to be clubs that are poorly-run basket cases. Used wisely parachute payments are a huge boon. If Burnley can get through this season without doing anything stupid (like sacking Dyche or signing expensive crap has-beens in a desperate attempt to stave off the inevitable) they could, should, be massive favourites to bounce straight back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not really, no.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but it massively increases chances of success which is why Chelsea and Manchester City are where they are, and Hartlepool sit at the bottom of the 92.

There are always going to be exceptions which buck the trend in both directions - we've even been one ourselves over the last two seasons.

Sorry, I should have said it makes you think why it was one of the central themes of Paul Barber's 5000 word lecture.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Furthermore, of the four "paupers doing well" examples that you cite, I'd say only Derby are a decent club being run prudently and reaping just rewards. There are obvious peculiarities about each of the other three, and it doesn't take too much digging to unearth those.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Hopefully we can become a pretty much self-sufficient club with this lovely academy thingy at Lancing, but that will take a few years and the void until then will need to be filled wisely in order that we are in a solid if not spectacular position. This will NOT happen overnight. Agree about Derby.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Furthermore, of the four "paupers doing well" examples that you cite, I'd say only Derby are a decent club being run prudently and reaping just rewards. There are obvious peculiarities about each of the other three, and it doesn't take too much digging to unearth those.

Agree with this: Watford (multi club foreign owners); Bournemouth (Russian money); middlesborough (Gibson)

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Good managers make up for lack of funds mainly by clever tactics and man management. I reckon if you put Alex Ferguson at Blackpool they would climb the table quickly. Unfortunately for us, our manager appears to lack the true craft of the football manager, probably because he hasn't learned his trade from scratch and is making all his mistakes after being plunged in at the deep end.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One of the problems for relegated sides is the crushing wage bill. Often they have players on inflated money and extended agreements. I'm guessing some of the 'parachute' money goes in this direction. I wonder if it is as much an advantage as folk think.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Still does not detract from the fact that clubs with parachute payments can afford (or appear to afford) players on higher wages. Whether those higher wages translate to results on the pitch is not relevant - all it means is that clubs without parachute payments are at a disadvantage when trying to secure the services of a player also being courted by a club with parachute payments.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'm not so sure about Bournemouth. Haven't they made a profit on their transfer deals ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The first FFP verdicts occur next month. It could be a very interesting twist in our season if lots of clubs in the division suddenly become burdened with fines, point deductions or transfer embargoes.

...or we will all get extremely pissed off when nothing at all happens.

A recent round-up of likely outcomes suggests both valiant Bournemouth and Middlesbrough may have breached FFP rules to get where they are.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/...ubs-can-expect-to-receive-a-transfer-embargo-

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Watford 1st
Bournemouth 2nd
Middlesboro 3rd
Derby 5th

I was going to make the point a few weeks back, didn't want to be accused or trolling so it's easier now we're a bit sh*t again. The parachute payments are largely absorbed by the contracts they have to hand out in the Premier League - That said I think it clearly gives the relegated at least a small financial advantage but as well all know, it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In their last published results, which covered their League One promotion campaign, they lost over £15m.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27224806

It's not inconceivable that this has continued into the Championship with higher player wages being required.

They did receive a reported 3m for Grabban though. And around 6m from the Lalana move. They may be alright.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

"Paupers doing well" is your phrase, not mine. I'm just pointing out that the "woe is us, we haven't got parachute payments" part of Paul Barber's essay doesn't bear out in the current table. Furthermore the other part of the lecture, that we're losing £1 million a month, translates to a non-compliance with FFP just like Bournemouth. Of course, as [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] says we've both had healthy transfer fees in.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
In their last published results, which covered their League One promotion campaign, they lost over £15m.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27224806

It's not inconceivable that this has continued into the Championship with higher player wages being required.

Apparantly their wage bill was £11 million when they got promoted from league 1...Probably around £16 million now roughly in which is hideous and will come back to bite them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here