Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relegation?

I actually thought there was no chance of this even up to a couple of weeks ago but the classic sign of a relegation bound team is when it plays badly and loses, and then when it plays well, it still loses. Finding ways to lose in a huge variety of ways is a sign of a team in big, big trouble.

I have a lot of respect for Hyypia so I'm still not sure binning him is the underlying answer to our problems, though his inflexibility and idealism in persisting with a system virtually no one else plays looks like it could be part of the problem.

But regardless of that, I'm still sticking with the idea that it's the players who have to go. Bennett is a nice start but I'd like to see at least half a different team come January cos this current one is taking us down.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He was sacked from BL for not having a plan B according to the commentator today. Exactly the same issue we are seeing now.

A new manager will bring new ideas and give everyone a lift. That is what's needed and soon.

You will be surprised what a bit of confidence does to a player or team.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I thought we were at risk as soon as the signings were left so late. This is a hard league and it doesn't take much to go down. Just look at Wolves the year before last!

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I don't know, his system may work better against league one teams like Fleetwood, Chesterfield and Rochdale....

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But regardless of that, I'm still sticking with the idea that it's the players who have to go. Bennett is a nice start but I'd like to see at least half a different team come January cos this current one is taking us down.
Who is going to bring in this new team? If it's the same people that have been doing it until now I don't see why the results would be better. It's going to be costly too, bringing in quality players in January, plus presumably trying to move some players on - which won't be easy given that a lot of the dross is also newly signed. To spend a lot of money doing more of what we're doing now would be a big call. If it's different people then tearing up the current system then that's going to be an even more expensive process, and a huge act of faith in Hyypia based on not an awful lot.

This is why I am worried about relegation, there doesn't seem to be an easy fix for our problems - a lame duck manager, a weak squad, a recruitment system that has over a couple of years built that squad in place of a good one and the chairman who put them in place. How do you sort that out in the middle of a season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We don't need a new team. There's easily enough quality in the squad to be doing much better.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I know I will be called a licker or whatever but I do have faith in Tony Bloom. The reason being is that he is far more intelligent than me and has far more money than me.
If I was in his position I would do exactly what he is doing. I would ignore the airheads on here hyperventilating on our league position and demanding that we sack the manager.
One year ago West Ham were demanding that Sam should go. Three weeks ago Newcastle fans were demanding that Pardew should go.
Yes, it's all good fun but I really don't think that Tony is about to sack a manager that he gave a three year contract to achieve the dream. He is not that fickle unlike some on here.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I know I will be called a licker or whatever but I do have faith in Tony Bloom. The reason being is that he is far more intelligent than me and has far more money than me.
If I was in his position I would do exactly what he is doing. I would ignore the airheads on here hyperventilating on our league position and demanding that we sack the manager.
One year ago West Ham were demanding that Sam should go. Three weeks ago Newcastle fans were demanding that Pardew should go.
Yes, it's all good fun but I really don't think that Tony is about to sack a manager that he gave a three year contract to achieve the dream. He is not that fickle unlike some on here.
LICKER!!!!!!!!!!
Trouble is ALLADYCE & PARDEW have a decent track record and have respect at the top level SAMI unfortunately doesn't

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I actually thought there was no chance of this even up to a couple of weeks ago but the classic sign of a relegation bound team is when it plays badly and loses, and then when it plays well, it still loses. Finding ways to lose in a huge variety of ways is a sign of a team in big, big trouble.

I have a lot of respect for Hyypia so I'm still not sure binning him is the underlying answer to our problems, though his inflexibility and idealism in persisting with a system virtually no one else plays looks like it could be part of the problem.

Bennett may well be a nice start, but a) Sami will probably play him at right back and b) who will he cross to?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If we go down (which seems likely) there is always next year. We've had 4 pretty decent seasons on the trot and if we then have 1 bad one we just have to get back on it next year. The ups and downs of being a fan I'm afraid.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
If we go down (which seems likely) there is always next year. We've had 4 pretty decent seasons on the trot and if we then have 1 bad one we just have to get back on it next year. The ups and downs of being a fan I'm afraid.

I'm not sure you quite grasp how serious relegation is? You say it say flippantly. A fan I am but you cannot excuse this complete and utter nonsense that is being delivered week in week out. Been a ST holder for years and will continue to be one, regardless. Honestly, we have good players some that should be given game time consistently and others that are p1s5 poor. The team is of a calibre to stay in the championship but are tactics are so wrong. Heads are down to get them up means they need to see winning ways. The only person who can do that is the gaffer. Is Sami that man? No in my view.

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not sure about that, two of the goals yesterday were down to individual errors, as were plenty of the goals conceded this season.

In my opinion the individual errors are down to a lack of confidence rather than a lack of talent, Greer got praise for his performance for Scotland against Poland but as soon as he put his Albion shirt back on his confidence drained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here