Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire guidelines. Ridiculous

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Working in Lewes today and just had this passed to me by the Police.

Can you imagine the furore if football fans where setting fire to premises and robbing / vandalising? But it's all OK 'cos it's the Lewes F**king Bonfire.

DC-260-7912742kkk033.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a local event for local people. I'd add the line "please consider if burning The Pope is really appropriate if you spend the other 364 days of the year knitting yoghurt in your sandals and shouting at The Guardian"

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
My first one actually marching. Look out for Skull drummery who'll be marching with Cliffe....i'll have a can of old speckled hen in one hand and a drumstick in t'other.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Wicker Man comes to Sussex

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Once a year entire villages come out and get proper pissed up as they have done for hundreds of years. Pissed up people do silly things. It's vibrant, it's raw, it's local. It's not some sanitised yank import to mark the onset of Winter.

Well done plod for warning people to take sensible precautions rather than turning it into an event where the HSE make sure everyone stays behind safety barriers, alcohol sales are banned and burger vans turn up like a convention of Nigels and their caravans.

Is anyone bringing along a Sami Hyypia to stick on one of the bonfires this year?

I guess I see it differently

:drink: :flameboun :drink:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Once a year entire villages come out and get proper pissed up as they have done for hundreds of years. Pissed up people do silly things. It's vibrant, it's raw, it's local. It's not some sanitised yank import to mark the onset of Winter.

Well done plod for warning people to take sensible precautions rather than turning it into an event where the HSE make sure everyone stays behind safety barriers, alcohol sales are banned and burger vans turn up like a convention of Nigels and their caravans.

Is anyone bringing along a Sami Hyypia to stick on one of the bonfires this year?

I guess I see it differently

:drink: :flameboun :drink:

Much like football hooliganism then, which I am led to believe is frowned upon somewhat!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Er, most of those precautions seem to be about accidental fires, rather than arson, do they not? A lot of sparks fly on the fifth!

Also, the people who cause trouble are likely to be drunken students, not people in bonfire societies.

I am assuming the Brighton trains will be heaving - does it make any sense to park at Glynde and train in from there ?

Probably. But expect the trains from the Eastbourne direction to be very busy as well.

And the post-event queues at Lewes station can be a nightmare. Remember too that the train service to Glynde is only hourly and, if you miss one, you'll not be happy.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Can't see the problem with the document. Fire safety advice is generally best given before the fire starts. Nobody standing over the smoldering ruin of their possessions likes being told what they should have done to avoid it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here