Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire Vs Halloween

What's the best

• Total voters

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I enjoy Halloween , but have always prefered bonfire even more so since i joined the local society (South Heighton). Whats your favourite celebration.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bonfire by a long way - not really a fan of the imported American halloween.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For years Halloween played no part in the British Calendar. As kids we all looked forward to Bonfire night. There was ' penny for the guy ' in the lead up to the big day. We saved up for fireworks and a good time was had by all.
Sadly, this appalling American rubbish has been allowed to take hold here and the big stores are making a lot of money. It is unadulterated garbage and the kids are falling for it.
Anyone trick or treating at my door gets very short shrift. I don't care who I upset. I feel like sticking a notice on the front door saying...." having rough sex with a hooker, please don't disturb "
I blame the parents as much as the kids. Traipsing round the streets, wrapped in stained bed sheets and wearing pathetic make-up. Give me a machine gun so I can mow them all down.
Bah humbug!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Neither if I`m totally honest though will probably be attending a private fireworks do next Saturday.
My girlfriend has asked me to buy some treats for tonight just in case any of the little buggers turn up on our doorstep.

Personally I just don`t bother answering the door , poxy American shit.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Halloween means the eve of All Hallows or All Saints so the emphasis on Ghouls and Ghosts is a load of nonsense. We should be walking around dressed up as saints! Bonfire night is has much more of a 'pagan' origin but its also connected with the Gunpowder plot. I don't go in for either event but if I had to vote I would go for Bonfire Night

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Halloween means the eve of All Hallows or All Saints so the emphasis on Ghouls and Ghosts is a load of nonsense. We should be waling around dressed up as saint! Bonfire night is has much more of a 'pagan' origin but its also connected with the Gunpowder plot. I don't go in for either event but if I had to vote I would go for Bonfire Night

They both really have roots in Northern European solistice festival.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Halloween, but only because it serves as a very timely reminder for me to send birthday greetings to one of my very best friends who lives in New York as her birthday is Nov 1

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
This is going to be a WHITEWASH for bonfire (and rightly so).

Sweets, ghosts and assorted American rubbish, or fire, explosives and proper (local) tradition?!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I always ask people who celebrate Halloween if they also celebrate Thanksgiving and Martin Luther King Day..... :wanker:

School Proms are another Septic Import we can do without as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes i meant equinox, but essentially they both have their roots in the festivals that celebrated the end of autumn and the bringing in of the harvest, before the dark days of winter.

The Autumn equinox is 21st September. It's still Autumn until 21st December, when winter begins.
Tommy Tradles has described it correctly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I nearly started the same thread/poll! I bloody hate Halloween and have genuine concerns about how it's encroached on the great bonfire tradition. Free fireworks for all I say!

Edit: good to see halloween doing really well in the poll so far! :lol:

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
They both really have roots in Northern European solistice festival.

The word Hallow means to 'make holy' or to 'sanctify'. Halloween is the eve of the Christian festival of All saints. I don't deny that the major Christian festivals are at times that counter pagan celebrations. It just that the word Halloween is a Christian term but very few people seem to understand that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Some of the women in my office have come in dressed in Halloween costumes today. Such JAPES.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Halloween is for Chavs and the sort of cockwombles who spend most of their time sharing their personal lives on Facebook. I really don't understand why anyone over the age of 8 would attend a Halloween party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here