Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So, who do we play like?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was having a chat last night about our tactics and style and trying to work out who we play like, or who we're trying to play like.

I don't agree we look like a German team, Bayern for example play with width in Ribery and Robben. If anything their national team plays how we USED to play, a typical back four, 2 holding or deeper midfielders, and attacking 3 from midfield providing width (i.e. Muller, Ozil, Polodski or other) and a front man. They press more than we used to, and get further forward, but the actual tactical setup isn't that much different. To my mind most German sides I've watched play in much the same way, or a variation of it - I've not seen this tactic of getting your full backs as high as possible providing the only width for the team. Of course they attack, help provide width, overlap etc. but not like us where our full backs rarely have someone in front of them to immediately give the ball to.

So if TB did get Hyypia in to change our style with attacking full backs providing the width, who is the template? Rodgers at Liverpool perhaps? I'm struggling to see or believe the whole concept can even work, especially in the Championship. I'd welcome some insight to whom people think we are trying to be like. The only time I remember full backs doing this was back in the days of a back five with 3 centre halves one as a sweeper.

Perhaps if Sami had someone experienced next to him like Sammy Lee, the elder man could have taken him to one side and said that it's not working, lets try something else. That doesn't appear to be happening, we appear to be blaming the results on the squad whereas even with the addition of 3 or 4 new faces - I'm still worried that tactically it's all wrong anyway.

Discuss.

p.s. I'd only be advocating changing the manager if he refuses to change what he's doing tactically. If I was TB I'd be sat down asking him why he isn't trying something different, and if not why not etc. Sometimes a manager can just stumble on something that suddenly works, I just don't think Hyypia is looking flexible enough to make that stumble.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Barcelona play with the full backs pushed right on and with out the out and out wingers, but busquets drops back in to play as centre back when needed and probably most importantly they keep the ball and then hunt in packs to get the ball back.
We don't keep the ball and pressing is non existent and our forward players are not right for the position they are asked to play.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Barcelona play with the full backs pushed right on and with out the out and out wingers, but busquets drops back in to play as centre back when needed and probably most importantly they keep the ball and then hunt in packs to get the ball back.
We don't keep the ball and pressing is non existent and our forward players are not right for the position they are asked to play.

So, other than that, we're JUST like Barcelona right? :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So do you think our midfielders aren't doing their jobs by playing too narrow, or our tactics are not like Barca at all because their full backs always have someone out wide to either pass to or overlap with? I see what you're saying, but we appear to rely on the full backs providing our width, Barca's full backs supplement their width.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
dog_and_duck_3.JPG

Second XI

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"Its just like watching Bexhill"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was after a few sensible answers! :lolol:

To be honest, I didn't think they were bad replies!

Thinking about your original post, can't think of any precedent for playing what often seems like two at the back (always been three or four at the back ever since Herbie Roberts invented the stopper centre half position - between the two full backs - in the 20s or 30s).

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I can't think of any team that play in the formation or style we do. But that maybe because i don't really understand what formation or style we are playing....

For example;

formation...
Back 4 with fullbacks pushing up very very high. so a back 2?
midfield 3 with two defensive(ish) players covering the fullbacks. Which kind've of suggests it might be an idea to maybe let the fullbacks hang back and play 2 wide midfielders?
attacking 3. 2 of which don't play wide pushing up against the opponents fullbacks. They just kind've of run around a lot.

Anyway the formation has been discussed to death elsewhere... Let's just say it's rubbish.

Style...
Pass slowly, then whack the ball into the channels. usually without checking for someone in the same coloured shirt.
Alternatively hit a long ball to one of the three forwards, preferably the shorter ones.

The last team I saw playing like that was on fifa, when I was very very drunk.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Judging by the way we set up Sami's biggest footballing influence seems to me to be the Brazil teams of 2002 and 2006. So very high full backs (Cafu, R Carlos), 3 workmanlike CM's (eg, Dunga, Cesar Sampiao), 2 mobile but not necessarily physical support strikers (Rivaldo, Ronaldinho) and a focal point striker, (which I'm sure Sami wants, but can't get).

I'm not saying Brighton are like Brazil of 10 year ago, you understand .... just that it seems to me that this was probably the system which captured Sami's imagination at the time and he decided he would try to replicate it in management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here