Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP and paying for two managers?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
So, in these times of FFP and having no money to spend on players...

Why exactly are we paying two people (Hyypia & The Burke) to do one mans job?...

Surely in order for a manager to be successful he must have some sort of control of which players he actually wants rather than have a load of dross given to him?...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It would be interesting to see the commercial (and 'admin') structures. I've got a hunch those costs might be toe curling as well

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It would be interesting to see the commercial (and 'admin') structures. I've got a hunch those costs might be toe curling as well

Just have a look at the Who's Who on the clubs web site, there is nearly more in that list than MP's at Westminster.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a fair point. Although I doubt Burke is on anything like what Hyypia is being paid.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I notice David Burke was raised in Hove, so it could be who you know.

At the recent Bloom/Barber talk in Horsham there were at least 3 suits in attendance (from the 'Commercial team') I'm pretty sure at least 2 of them were North American and I wondered if Barber was employing his chums from Vancouver?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why exactly are we paying two people (Hyypia & The Burke) to do one mans job?...

It is never a one man job. Even if the manager has more control over transfers, he will still have a chief scout or director of scouting.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I notice David Burke was raised in Hove, so it could be who you know.

Excellent - so two days ago, it was apparently an issue that Barber is a not a lifelong Brighton fan, and now its an issue that Burke IS local. Genius.

At the recent Bloom/Barber talk in Horsham there were at least 3 suits in attendance (from the 'Commercial team') I'm pretty sure at least 2 of them were North American and I wondered if Barber was employing his chums from Vancouver?

Paul Beirne (newish Commercial Director?) is Canadian.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Excellent - so two days ago, it was apparently an issue that Barber is a not a lifelong Brighton fan, and now its an issue that Burke IS local. Genius.

And from Toronto, a mere 2,700 miles from Vancouver. Hell, they probably popped round each other's houses for tea every Wednesday afternoon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And from Toronto, a mere 2,700 miles from Vancouver. Hell, they probably popped round each other's houses for tea every Wednesday afternoon.

That doesn't rule out the very likley possibility that his appointment was at least in part down to PB knowing him from MLS networking. Not that its a problem at all - its how MOST important posts at large companies are filled, after all.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Was this them?

image.jpg

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

He used to be the Executive Vice-President of Ticketing with the Ottawa Senators. He was previously the Vice-President of Business Operations for Toronto FC, starting as the Club's first employee when it was founded in 2006.

No wonder everything has gone tit's up at the moment. He's worked for two of the worst performing teams in Canada. :eek: :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
NO!

Chief Scout, please! A proper job, not a director of something! A chief scout directly answerable to the Manager, too.

Out of interest, what makes you convinced a manager with little experience is better at spotting talent than some else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here