Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The single worst refereeing decision you've seen at the Amex

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's been a few (and I daresay some have gone in our favour too). But what sticks in your mind as the worst one?

In the run up to Saturday, I still can't get away from that appalling penalty Bournemouth "won" last season. That tackle from Calderon was excellent: there wasn't even the slightest possibility in my mind that a foul might be deemed to have occurred. With most penalties given for fouls, you can see why they were awarded, or anticipate that a fussy referee might spot something amiss. But with that one, not even the Bournemouth players appealed. They were just anticipating a corner. Easily the most angry I've been at the Amex, and a huge slap in the face for the Albion players.

The Burnley game (where we went down to 9 men) wasn't much fun, but on viewing the replays afterwards, I don't think either decision was as obviously wrong as that Bournemouth penalty.

Was that the worst, or am I missing an even greater injustice?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Inigo getting sent off against Newport without a doubt. On reflection the Bournemouth penalty was a shocking decision but from where I stood at the time I was half expecting the whistle to go.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Watfords goal that wasn't

Hmmm. I thought it was in. But I've seen angles that suggest it wasn't quite. Either way, it's one of those that could have gone either way (though in most cases, would have gone Watford's, I imagine).

And the Calderon red card against Newport, whilst I thought he was hard done by, I could equally see why it might have appeared dangerous to a referee, as both players went flying into that one, feet up. But the referee was clearly swayed by Newport officials, as well as the extent of the injury.

The Bournemouth one still wins for me, for its sheer inexplicability: I've watched it a fair few times, and I still cannot see how on earth anybody could possibly have thought that was anything less than a decent tackle.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There's been a few (and I daresay some have gone in our favour too). But what sticks in your mind as the worst one?

In the run up to Saturday, I still can't get away from that appalling penalty Bournemouth "won" last season. That tackle from Calderon was excellent: there wasn't even the slightest possibility in my mind that a foul might be deemed to have occurred. With most penalties given for fouls, you can see why they were awarded, or anticipate that a fussy referee might spot something amiss. But with that one, not even the Bournemouth players appealed. They were just anticipating a corner. Easily the most angry I've been at the Amex, and a huge slap in the face for the Albion players.

The Burnley game (where we went down to 9 men) wasn't much fun, but on viewing the replays afterwards, I don't think either decision was as obviously wrong as that Bournemouth penalty.

Was that the worst, or am I missing an even greater injustice?

If I recall, Barnes sending off was deserved in the Burnley game, but didn't the Burnley player grab him by the throat/collar and shake him? I might be misremembering though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If I recall, Barnes sending off was deserved in the Burnley game, but didn't the Burnley player grab him by the throat/collar and shake him? I might be misremembering though.

Sounds about right.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The ref should have also shown a red card to McCann for violent conduct because he retaliated.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ref should have also shown a red card to McCann for violent conduct because he retaliated.

I'd say this too. Having seen the replay, you could see why Barnes went but McCann surely should have gone too.

But that Bournemouth penalty was a close second

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Glad I'm remembering it correctly. That was my thought at the time, that it was ludicrous McCann didn't get any punishment.

Classic Barnes, getting suckered into retaliation.

I remember the same happening to Graham Barrett at Fratton Park, when he and Matthew Taylor started on each other. The referee only saw the end, Barrett was sent off, and Taylor walked away scot free. Not that his consequent suspension was much of a loss, the useless waste of space.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Classic Barnes, getting suckered into retaliation.

I remember the same happening to Graham Barrett at Fratton Park, when he and Matthew Taylor started on each other. The referee only saw the end, Barrett was sent off, and Taylor walked away scot free. Not that his consequent suspension was much of a loss, the useless waste of space.

Barnes tried to jump over the player but caught him with his foot, which the ref interpreted as a stamp (so did many of the Barnes detractors) It was McCann who retaliated, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't)

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Either the Bournemouth penalty they won, or the penalty claim against Derby last season, the league match. We'd taken a free kick and one of their players pinched it out the box, Andy D'Urso was the only person I think who didn't see it. Still fed up with controversial decisions going against us when we play Eddie Howe's teams.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
There was a Boxing Day game at Withdean against Barnet and bizarrely the ref was Graham Poll.
During the second half he didn't give a nailed on penalty for a foul on Gary Hart.
All this might seem innocuous but what riled me then (and has stayed with me ever since) is that a couple of seconds before the foul, Poll purposefully placed his hands behind his back and if I didn't know any different I will go to my grave believing he made his mind up to not give a foul well before the infringement even happened.
In his career he epitomised everything that is bad about refs. Which is a shame as most fo a good honest job in difficult circumstances

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
D'Urso v Derby a couple of years ago.

The Derbv wall lined up in the penalty area in front of a Spanish Dave free kick. He curls it, the guy on the end of the wall jumps with his arms in the air and all but PUNCHES it clear. D'Urso, standing less than 10 yards away, waves play on. A more straightforward handball / penalty decision you could not wish to see. We lost, 2-1.

UNbelievable Jeff.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Either the Bournemouth penalty they won, or the penalty claim against Derby last season, the league match. We'd taken a free kick and one of their players pinched it out the box, Andy D'Urso was the only person I think who didn't see it. Still fed up with controversial decisions going against us when we play Eddie Howe's teams.

Ha, glad I'm not the only one who remembers it.
Absolute shocker.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
There's been plenty of bad ones mentioned on this thread and I'd say the ref not sending off the Burnley keeper last season is up with them. Buckley rounded him and had an open goal only to be cynically brought down. The red did make up for it by dismissing the Burnley keeper later on in the game and luckily we won comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here