Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - Pompey train overshoots Angmering station

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I thought he was approaching Angmering a tad too rapidly :lolol:

Overshoots the station, sits there for five minutes, then tells us the signal wallahs won't let him back up :ohmy:

Cue mutterings as he proceeds to Barnham, where people have to get another train back to Angmering

I was waiting for the announcement of 'Please mind the gap between the train and the station' :nono:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We had something like that on the way into London a few months ago. Can't remember the station but we were steaming in and all of a sudden the anchors go on and after missing by 2 coaches there is an announcement of "Sorry about that, if you require this station then please procede towards the rear of the train".

Was quite funny.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
He can't go backwards if the signalman has allowed another train into the block section behind him, the interlocking in the system prevents that happening.

( Would you contemplate reversing if you overshot a set of traffic lights and saw a car behind at the white line where you should have stopped ).

SPADS happen all the time, it's just that this one was a SPAC ( signal passed at clear ), the driver wil get a written warning for it as the train will have been delayed and the signalman will have recorded the incident.

Standard proceedure if a station is overshot .... if a train passes through the platform more then 200 metres the signaller can not allow a train to reverse back into the station due to the signalling...Happens a lot this time of year due to the railway favourite of leaves on the line or what we call 'exceptional railhead conditions' services behind would have to be stopped and told at the previous safe signal (i.e one that is not affected ) and advised this would continue until rail has been treated.
sorry for the long winded answer but at least if it happens again etc ... this is something also you cant blame sami hypia for either :)

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Nothing will ever beat that twonk of a driver who failed to stop a completely empty train at Falmer a couple of seasons ago after a midweek evening game. Everyone on the platform just stood there and watched it glide straight past to Brighton. Does anyone recall that scene in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade when that plane crashes through the tunnel and the pilot and Dr. Jones casually exchange glances as he glides by before bursting into flames? It was like that.

I would have loved to have seen the stewards/police's faces at Brighton station as they anxiously awaited for thousands of fans to hop off the train...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had similar a while back coming home from Victoria and the driver completely forgot he was supposed to stop at Preston Park. What was odd was that he came over the tannoy apologising and said "I wasn't concentrating properly". Bit of an odd admission to make in front of 100's of passengers if you ask me.

Yoda

English & European
That's quite impressive when you take into account they layout of the line and signals at Angmering.

The signal leading into the station would've been single amber, as the level crossing normally goes down when the train's approaching the platform if stopping, so must've flown through that at quite some speed too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here