Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A List of Disappointments

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. The result. Go to every game hoping we can win even when the outcome should be a forgone conclusion. On the disappointing scale, 4/10

2. The cost of £6.30 for a can of stella and carlsberg on the train. 7/10

3. The slight delay in the outbound journey. 1/10

4. The cost of two pints of Peroni in the Shakespeare Arms at Victoria. £10.90. 8/10

5. The slightly longer than 20 minute walk from Seven Sisters to the Ground. 5/10

6. The pasty at the ground which, having expected to bite into a combination of meat, potato and other veg, turned out to be cheese and onion. 7/10

7. Paddy McCourt seemingly spending the entire first half on the right side of our half with the ball spending most time on the left! 7/10

8. KLL blazing over with our best chance of the first half. Not even forcing the keeper into a save. A player, admittedly out of position, who seems to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Went down easily in the second half having taking the ball to the outside rather than cutting in. 7/10

9. Danny Holla taking the free kick and again failing to threaten the woodwork, let alone the keeper! 7/10

10. The walk back to Seven Sisters. 6/10 (made worse by the result!).

11. The 10:47 to Haywards Heath. Standing room only (well at least until East Croydon). 3/10

12. Sharing the packed carriage with a couple of (shall we say) late middle age Spurs Fans. 1/10 (well they were a bit entertaining).

13. Getting a question wrong (from aforementioned Spurs fans) about Steve Penny's number of international caps whilst at the Albion. I said 13 which was accepted as right but nagging doubt that it was 17 which was confirmed by Wikipedia this morning. 5/10

14. Simon Fanshawe complaining at Haywards Heath Station about the scheduling of engineering works at the same time there was a football match! Do your homework Simon, the engineering works would have been scheduled many months ago, possible even more than a year ago but we only knew about this match since the end of September! 3/10 (more on the annoying scale rather that the disappointment one!).

15. The absolutely shambolic replacement bus service at Haywards Heath. Rail staff not knowing what was happening and the Bus controller not seeming to care. Got to H/H at about 11:30 but spent about half an hour waiting for the bus to Burgess Hill yet as we pulled past the old bus station there were four buses sitting doing nothing. Little bit of advice, if there is going to be a delay then tell people. Don't tell them that their bus is behind the one at the front only for them to watch that bus drive out of the car park empty. 8/10

However, the overriding disappointment was the whole manner in which we played. This was a cup match, not a league one. We seemed bereft of any real cup spirit. Yes we defended well but we gave the ball away far too easily. Chicksen several times conceded possession (but did put in some good tackles) but he had no outlet ahead of him! Hyypia clearly doesn't seem to know how to utilise McCourt to the best advantage of the team. Colunga never looked like doing anything threatening, out muscled and out paced most of the time. KLL is ineffective. Gardiner is a waste of space. His back heel towards the end of the game was the stand out comedy moment.

Spurs were worth their win. They were quicker to the ball, quicker in thought, stronger when on the ball. They got lucky with the second goal which fell to Kane after three deflections. However, where is the spirit? We are only a division below Spurs who are not a great premiership team. It was a winner take all game, not one where we are looking for points. I'd rather have lost by more goals but have shown more spirit than lose the way we did. The players look deflated which, in my opinion, is down to the last few performances and the manner in which they are being asked to play. Confidence is evaporating which doesn't bode well for the next few games. The result is neither here nor there but I haven't been as disappointed with how we bowed out since we lost to Mansfield in the FA Cup (and yes, I was at Anfield for the 6-1. At least then we scored 4 goals).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
1. Standing in the rain for 30 minutes waiting for the coach to pick us up which was 15 minutes late due to traffic/roadworks 3/10

2. Sitting on the coach for 5½ hours 1/10

3. Watching a stream of the first 20 minutes of the game which crawling the last few miles to WHL 5/10

4. Waiting outside the only open turnstile at WHL while one steward examines the content of the handbag of a 60 something female supporter knowing the game was going ahead a few metres away 1/10

5. After climbing to the top tier and then a further 13 rows finding our seats were still empty 8/10

6. Having had no food since lunchtime queuing at half time to secure the final 2 beef and ale pies 5/10

7. Looking at my phone two thirds of the way back to the coach park to see a missed call from the coach organiser to find out that he was told just before the final whistle that our coach would pick up at the ground not the coach park. Agreeing that once the coach had pick up those at the ground it would drive to the coach park to pick up us and the others who didn't know. Upon arriving at the coach park being told by the head steward that the police would not let the coach do that so we had to walk back to the ground again. 1/10

8. Sitting on the coach for 15 minutes waiting for everybody to arrive back from the coach park.

9. Making slow progress to the Blackwall Tunnel passing 4 or 5 accidents, including one where the driver was on a stretcher being ventilated. Eventually getting onto the M25, then after being informed from the coaches in front of an accident at the M23/M25 junction heading down the A22 all the way to Maresfield, then Haywards Heath until finally the A23. 1/10

10. Arriving at the Amex to see the A27 was ****ing closed so after dropping off there heading down to Woodingdean/Peacehaven/Newhaven back to Beddingham before heading to Polegate. 1/10.

11. Driving from Polegate to Bexhill, getting three quarters of the way along the marsh road to be met with a red light at roadworks. Sitting for 8 minutes at said red light before it went green and finally arriving home at 02:45, 13 hours after leaving having watched 1 hour of football. 1/10

Onwards and upwards, can Bournemouth be a worse trip :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Esp. Number 13, what ever did you do!!??

You should have gone to Belle n Sebastian, I was expecting f*****g brilliant, and that's what I got :)

Possibly, but the A27 closed so that would have screwed my journey home!!!

As for number 13, at least I got the question about who won most caps whilst with Brighton. Still, what's more important, getting the answer right or getting everyone to think you got the answer right!!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Standing in the rain for 30 minutes waiting for the coach to pick us up which was 15 minutes late due to traffic/roadworks 3/10

3. Watching a stream of the first 20 minutes of the game which crawling the last few miles to WHL 5/10

4. Waiting outside the only open turnstile at WHL while one steward examines the content of the handbag of a 60 something female supporter knowing the game was going ahead a few metres away 1/10

5. After climbing to the top tier and then a further 13 rows finding our seats were still empty 8/10

6. Having had no food since lunchtime queuing at half time to secure the final 2 beef and ale pies 5/10

7. Looking at my phone two thirds of the way back to the coach park to see a missed call from the coach organiser to find out that he was told just before the final whistle that our coach would pick up at the ground not the coach park. Agreeing that once the coach had pick up those at the ground it would drive to the coach park to pick up us and the others who didn't know. Upon arriving at the coach park being told by the head steward that the police would not let the coach do that so we had to walk back to the ground again. 1/10

8. Sitting on the coach for 15 minutes waiting for everybody to arrive back from the coach park.

9. Making slow progress to the Blackwall Tunnel passing 4 or 5 accidents, including one where the driver was on a stretcher being ventilated. Eventually getting onto the M25, then after being informed from the coaches in front of an accident at the M23/M25 junction heading down the A22 all the way to Maresfield, then Haywards Heath until finally the A23. 1/10

10. Arriving at the Amex to see the A27 was ****ing closed so after dropping off there heading down to Woodingdean/Peacehaven/Newhaven back to Beddingham before heading to Polegate. 1/10.

11. Driving from Polegate to Bexhill, getting three quarters of the way along the marsh road to be met with a red light at roadworks. Sitting for 8 minutes at said red light before it went green and finally arriving home at 02:45, 13 hours after leaving having watched 1 hour of football. 1/10

Defeat can be easy to take if everything else goes smoothly. When it doesn't the disappointment is exacerbated! At least looking at your journey, I feel a little better about mine. Not sure that helps you though. Good luck on Saturday.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
OP, the top 12 were to be expected. Especially the expensive booze part. How much were you expecting to pay at a large train station pub?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Defeat can be easy to take if everything else goes smoothly. When it doesn't the disappointment is exacerbated! At least looking at your journey, I feel a little better about mine. Not sure that helps you though. Good luck on Saturday.

Its true, for away games certainly, I find a bad result away from home somewhere north of London definitely feels much less depressing once you either get to the service station half way home or to London on the train as 49 times out of 50 everything travel wise goes to plan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought the Amex was the most expensive place to buy beer in Britain.

Quite. I remember several posters on here asserting confidently that £4.10 was more than people would pay in pubs - the OP must have got that wrong as I'm sure no-one on NSC is ever wrong

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is 1/10 good or bad?

Very mild disappointment bordering on annoyance!

OP, the top 12 were to be expected. Especially the expensive booze part. How much were you expecting to pay at a large train station pub?

Well I knew it would be expensive but as I haven't worked in London for a few years didn't realise the disparity would be so great. In hind sight and in view of the fact we only had time for one, should've slummed it in Wetherspoons!!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

However disappointed you may feel, you at least had a better day than the aforementioned driver in para 9.

We lost a football match.

Chin up and move on..........

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought the Amex was the most expensive place to buy beer in Britain.

No, it's just over-priced for what it sells. There are more expensive places to buy beer - I was in one last night. (Although I did drink one of the cheaper ones at £3.80 a pint)

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Spurs were worth their win. They were quicker to the ball, quicker in thought, stronger when on the ball. They got lucky with the second goal which fell to Kane after three deflections. However, where is the spirit? We are only a division below Spurs who are not a great premiership team. It was a winner take all game, not one where we are looking for points. I'd rather have lost by more goals but have shown more spirit than lose the way we did. The players look deflated which, in my opinion, is down to the last few performances and the manner in which they are being asked to play. Confidence is evaporating which doesn't bode well for the next few games. The result is neither here nor there but I haven't been as disappointed with how we bowed out since we lost to Mansfield in the FA Cup (and yes, I was at Anfield for the 6-1. At least then we scored 4 goals).

It is interesting that i have seen many posters say that Spurs are a poor/average Premier League team. For the sake of clarity i would like to point out that over the last 9 seasons we have averaged 6th place (behind Woolwich, Chelsea, Man U, Man C & Liverpool). I suppose that means we need to be top 5 to be considered a decent Prem side :(

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is interesting that i have seen many posters say that Spurs are a poor/average Premier League team. For the sake of clarity i would like to point out that over the last 9 seasons we have averaged 6th place (behind Woolwich, Chelsea, Man U, Man C & Liverpool). I suppose that means we need to be top 5 to be considered a decent Prem side :(

No, it means, based on the current table, that you are 11th and there are currently 10 teams performing better than you! Equally, Brighton have been in the play-offs for the last two seasons but that has no bearing on where we are now.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Laid in bed with a cup of tea or two while listening to the game on BBC Sussex, then drifted off into a nice slumber on turning it off at the full time whistle. No disappointments of note :)

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Very mild disappointment bordering on annoyance!

Well I knew it would be expensive but as I haven't worked in London for a few years didn't realise the disparity would be so great. In hind sight and in view of the fact we only had time for one, should've slummed it in Wetherspoons!!

Nahh, bring yer own!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here