Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst musical instrument ever

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got to be the bongos surely? Am I correct?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jew's Harp

*looks over shoulder for mods*

Nomenclature:
Wiki - "...the OED also says that...the instrument was actually made, sold, or imported to England by Jews, or purported to be so; or that it was attributed to them, as a good commercial name, suggesting the trumps and harps mentioned in the Bible."

Wrong on many levels.

16_1.jpg

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
What have you got against bongos? I like a bit of bongo action, myself.

I agree with Val - the noise made by bagpipes is really excruciatingly painful.

Cycling the other week up top of Firle Beacon as it was getting dark - Came across a bagpiper making a racket on his own - says it all really when you have to practice in the middle of nowhere!!!!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Ohh, good thread. Any instrument when it's played badly is the worst, but if you stuck a gun to my I'd probably say rauschpfeife. It's a medieval wind instrument like the crumhorn and cornamuse (and as I play them I should like them) but unlike them it just makes a very loud noise. (It sounds like a set of bagpipes but with the tuning removed). It was originally used in battle as an early trumpet to try and intimidate the enemy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Unbelievable!

The Jaws/Jews Harp, Bagpipes AND Accordion have all been mentioned! What's wrong with you people!? :nono:

If you scroll right down to May 5th 2002 on this treasure trove archive of Rob Weisburg's brilliant Transpacific Sound Paradise shows then you'd be in for a treat - if only you could still get it to play :( https://wfmu.org/playlists/TP However, the good news is, you can go here for some treats instead: :clap: http://www.mouthmusic.com/audio/mp3index.htm#Recordings

The instrument I'd chuck into Room 101 would without doubt would be the electric lead guitar, when made to sound like a strangled cat, like it so often does. I once tried listening to a South Bank Show special on Jimi Hendrix to see if I could over come my prejudice around the instrument (played in that style) - I failed miserably and didn't make it to the end of the programme.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here