Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parachute Payments

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Ive been talking to a friend of mine who is a Millwall fan, and works in accountancy about parachute payments, and the teams in the league that have money still to come. He's of the opinion that the parachute payments haven't actually helped those clubs - the Blackburns, Blackpools, Middlesborough's and Boltons of this world haven't performed against the likes of us, Derby, Forest etc, when you take into account the money they've had. With a few clubs I've mentioned losing their payments this year, what effect do you think that's going to have on the state of the championship in the coming seasons - will it make for a lower standard of football, or will it make it more competitive than it already is?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Relegation tends to mean losing your best players. Parachute payments mean that you can replace them but often at greatly inflated fees (as clubs know you have the money) and you will need to be lucky for the team to gel.

For example if Hull are relegated this season, most of their team will have a clause in their contract to let them leave if a buyer comes in so they will be left with players that no one else wants plus replacements who are just there for the money (OK, that's probably all footballers).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ive been talking to a friend of mine who is a Millwall fan, and works in accountancy about parachute payments, and the teams in the league that have money still to come. He's of the opinion that the parachute payments haven't actually helped those clubs - the Blackburns, Blackpools, Middlesborough's and Boltons of this world haven't performed against the likes of us, Derby, Forest etc, when you take into account the money they've had. With a few clubs I've mentioned losing their payments this year, what effect do you think that's going to have on the state of the championship in the coming seasons - will it make for a lower standard of football, or will it make it more competitive than it already is?
Problem is most of the parachute payments go to the players wages after relegation and these players turn out to be shite in the championship as the hunger has gone.
They do affect the transfer market though for the clubs that recieve jack shite...They have these parachute payments as collateral and can out bid anyone else meaning the rest of us get the scraps.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the experience of many clubs shows that parachute payments dont automatically do you favours in the Championship. you have to remember that the funds are largely spent already on contracts for the players on Premiership wages. many are difficult to shift because they've been relegated so don't look so good any more, or the club wants to keep to try to go back up. considering with the full premiership income most clubs a still running losses, it hardly likely to change much when their income is cut by relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here