Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Brighton and Hove Albion **** Official Match Thread ****

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've received the nod to create a new MDT due to clusterf**k of one created earlier this morning.

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Brighton and Hove Albion
Official Match Thread

tottenham-hotspur.png
-------------
brighton-and-hove-albion.png

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham full-back Kyle Naughton is fit again after a ankle injury while fellow defender Federico Fazio is available after suspension.
But Nabil Bentaleb and Kyle Walker remain sidelined with ankle and pelvis injuries respectively.
Brighton midfielder Kazenga LuaLua is available again after suspension.
But Sam Baldock is cup-tied while Craig Mackail-Smith could miss out again with a hamstring injury and full-back Bruno is struggling with a groin problem.

MATCH PREVIEW

Two managers under pressure at new clubs is the backdrop to Brighton's visit to Tottenham.
Under Mauricio Pochettino, Spurs have won just three times in this season's Premier League, and were booed off after a weekend defeat at home to Newcastle.

They looked like making an early exit from the Capital One Cup after going behind to Nottingham Forest - but battled back and will be strong favourites to reach the quarter-finals despite their recent form.
That's because visitors Brighton, who were also booed off after a home draw with Rotherham at the weekend, have also been struggling under new manager Sami Hyppia.
The Seagulls have not won in the league since August - a run of 10 games that has left them hovering above the Championship relegation zone.
Hyppia, twice a League Cup winner with Liverpool, has called on his players "to toughen up a bit", which echoes Pochettino's comments questioning his players' mentality after the Newcastle defeat.
But it will the manager of the losing team on Wednesday whose mental strength will really be put to the test.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Spurs have won four and lost just one of their last six against the Seagulls (D1).
The one previous League Cup meeting between these sides came in the 1982-83 competition, when Spurs won 2-1 on aggregate in a two-legged second round tie.

Tottenham

Tottenham have won 10 of their last 11 in this competition against lower ranked sides, scoring in all 11 games in this run.
Spurs have scored in each of their last 24 home games in the League Cup.
Tottenham suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time this season at the weekend.

Brighton

Brighton's only win in their last 11 matches was their Capital One Cup third-round win over Burton on 24 September.
Brighton have won more away games in this season's League Cup (two) than they had in the last 19 seasons combined (one).
The Seagulls have made this stage of the competition for the first time since 1979-80, when they were beaten 4-0 in a replay by Tottenham's North London rivals Arsenal (the first game ended 0-0).

---

COYS!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Duplicate 'Official' match threads are even WORSE than shit match threads.

Were loose for shore

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
1-0 to the good guys

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Michel Vorm is a big believer in home advantage as we get set to welcome Brighton & Hove Albion to White Hart Lane in the Capital One Cup tonight.

The Dutch goalkeeper made his Spurs debut in our third round victory over Nottingham Forest last month, as we came back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 in front of our own fans.

With Swansea City when they won the competition in 2013, the 31-year-old would love nothing more than to help us regain the trophy we last won in 2008 – and is relishing another tie on familiar soil.

“We saw against Forest that it is not easy but it is an advantage to play at home, especially against teams from outside the Premier League,” he said.

“There are some tough opponents in the cup but if you are at home you have a chance to win these games.

“Brighton are a good side but at home, we will hope to win, especially with the fans behind us.”

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Looks like Vorm, Naughton, Stambouli & Fazio are definte starters for us. Ben Davies as well.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We try to make these match threads perfect, but we've only won twice in the league!

Something has to change, and the rubbish thread earlier is just what we needed!

Now, were loose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bournemouth play their reserves ahead of the their big televised match at the weekend. What sort of team will we put out? Injuries have made the squad almost pick itself, except for Toko who played for the reserves on Monday.

I think it has finally dawned on me that we are trying to play 4-2-1-2-1 which might suit the narrow White Hart Lane pitch. I've been to White Hart Lane once. Not my favourite ground or area of London. Seems a bit like Croydon but worse. Highbury was much nicer.

Whoever is going to be our lone forward is not going to look good. That is just the way it is with this system.

This game looks dodgy because if we get outclassed in our possession and passing (our strong points) our defence and attack don't seem very good at all. The second 80 minutes of our match against Rotherham and the second half against Huddersfield were the worst of this season, so we are not getting better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29718447

If Lualua does not start I will be annoyed and I expect he will be to.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Bournemouth play their reserves ahead of the their big televised match at the weekend. What sort of team will we put out? Injuries have made the squad almost pick itself, except for Noko who played for the reserves on Monday.

I think it has finally dawned on me that we are trying to play 4-2-1-2-1 which might suit the narrow White Hart Lane pitch. I've been to White Hart Lane once. Not my favourite ground or area of London. Seems a bit like Croydon but worse. Highbury was much nicer.

Whoever is going to be our lone forward is not going to look good. That is just the way it is with this system.

This game looks dodgy because if we get outclassed in our possession and passing (our strong points) our defence and attack don't seem very good at all. The second 80 minutes of our match against Rotherham and the second half against Huddersfield were the worst of this season, so we are not getting better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29718447

If Lualua does not start I will be annoyed and I expect he will be to.
well young lad, it will be a few years before Tottenham will be gentrified.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion Team

Squad selection almost picks itself as we will struggle to get a fit team out there:

Stockdale
Bruno Dunk Greer Bennett
Holla Forster-Caskey
Ince
Colunga LuaLua
O'Grady

subs; Ankergen, Hughes, Calderón, Gardner, Teixeira. McCourt, Reserve​

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tottenham Hotspur Vs Brighton and Hove Albion
Official Match Thread

tottenham-hotspur.png
-------------
brighton-and-hove-albion.png

.........Brighton have won more away games in this season's League Cup (two) than they had in the last 19 seasons combined (one).
The Seagulls have made this stage of the competition for the first time since 1979-80, when they were beaten 4-0 in a replay by Tottenham's North London rivals Arsenal (the first game ended 0-0).

Cheers - much better! Wheel still loose though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here