Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas and electric?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What's the rough estimate from people who have a 1 bedroom flat and live alone?
I haven't had the heating on for 6 months since I moved in and im out the flat 12 hrs a day and this flat has energy efficient light bulbs in every room etc bla bla bla...
So what do some pay per month?
Mine currently is £60 roughly a month and I find it pretty shocking to be honest,seems british Gas are estimating £68 a month:lolol:but that will obviously change due to meter readings.

So getting to the point...What do similar people pay who're out of the flat a lot and barely have the heating on?

I was previously in a large 3 bedroom detached house up the road and in the summer on british Gas it was £65 a month:lolol:just doesn't add up and I feel people in small one bedroom flats are being conned big time.

I just couldn't use any less here and im completely baffled:glare:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I haven't had the heating on for 6 months since I moved in and im out the flat 12 hrs a day and this flat has energy efficient light bulbs in every room etc bla bla bla...
Mine currently is £60 roughly a month and I find it pretty shocking to be honest,seems british Gas are estimating £68 a month:lolol:but that will obviously change due to meter readings.

So getting to the point...What do similar people pay who're out of the flat a lot and barely have the heating on?

I was previously in a large 3 bedroom detached house up the road and in the summer on british Gas it was £65 a month:lolol:just doesn't add up and I feel people in small one bedroom flats are being conned big time.

I pay less than that for my 3 bed semi with 2 people, and that includes having heating on through winter. Seems steep to me. I'm with First Utility.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

My son has a 1 bed flat and pays £60 a month. You need to take into account the fuel bill is based on usage over 12 months , in the winter you whittle away all the credit built up during the summer when running costs are minimal.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I pay less than that for my 3 bed semi with 2 people, and that includes having heating on through winter. Seems steep to me. I'm with First Utility.
Yep I'm with you..
Like I said my previous house a year ago was huge with two thermostat's and millions of high energy light bulbs etc..Paid around £65 a month in the summer and £90 in the winter.

Im hardly in the flat and haven't had the heating on once in nearly 7 months,just doesn't add up and should be £40 a month at best.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
My son has a 1 bed flat and pays £60 a month. You need to take into account the fuel bill is based on usage over 12 months , in the winter you whittle away all the credit built up during the summer when running costs are minimal.
So you're saying that my first 6 month bill I just recieved out of the blue for £350 May be based on a yearly average?if it stays the same throughout the winter then that's probo about right although still seems at tad expensive.

Will ring them again 👍

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yep I'm with you..
Like I said my previous house a year ago was huge with two thermostat's and millions of high energy light bulbs etc..Paid around £65 a month in the summer and £90 in the winter.

Im hardly in the flat and haven't had the heating on once in nearly 7 months,just doesn't add up and should be £40 a month at best.

I'm in a similar situation.

Small 1 bed flat but 2 of us living in there.

I moved in with British Gas the current provider. Sacked them off immediately with their estimated usage of £900+ per year.

I moved to another provider and pay £30-£35 p/m which covers Elec + Gas.

That's 2 of us with Elec on all day and heating on 2 hours per day.

I moved to First Utility if that helps.
I also got £25 cash back from Top Cash Back.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

I moved in with British Gas the current provider. Sacked them off immediately with their estimated usage of £900+ per year.

That sounds spot on to me as i actually use very little👍
Will check them out,cheers

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Got mine on a meter and me and my flatmate pay around £40 pm I'd say, which is good as we've always got stereos/games consoles/laptops on the go, it's only really the washing and drying that canes it so I get round it by turning by pants inside out and wearing them for an extra week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You won't go from £900 per year to £420 per year - the difference in tariffs is not that extreme. If BG were over-esimating you could either challenge/suggest an alternative or allow a credit to accrue upon which time they'd reduce your direct debit and/or credit you back over-payments.

Check out MSE - they've just launched best-in-market deals on varying terms for gas and electricity - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Got mine on a meter and me and my flatmate pay around £40 pm I'd say, which is good as we've always got stereos/games consoles/laptops on the go, it's only really the washing and drying that canes it so I get round it by turning by pants inside out and wearing them for an extra week.

Wear them back to front and you can get double that...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You won't go from £900 per year to £420 per year - the difference in tariffs is not that extreme. If BG were over-esimating you could either challenge/suggest an alternative or allow a credit to accrue upon which time they'd reduce your direct debit and/or credit you back over-payments.

Thanks but all of the above has been done months ago.

BG well over-estimated and admitted this over the phone.
They offered me an alternative but many other providers could beat them so I declined and moved providers.

BG = Horrendous customer service btw.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

Its a predicted consumption based on house size, occupancy etc, nothing more. When I moved into my house, Ive got up the old heavy curtains across windows. Got rugs down on the wood flooring and set Central heating on a low tempreture.

Insulation of the property helps, Im paying £60 a month in a 3 bed house, you just need to be clever with low wattage lightbulbs, I leave the oven door open when finish cooking and switch off to let heat into the house .....the little things make big differences!

:thumbsup:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
We're in a 1 bed bungalow and we pay 30 p/m elec (EDF) heating is oil which is again 30 a month, but we are both at home during the day

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is this estimates for basing direct debits? they will over state it so that have a nice hefty surplus over the year. pay in arrears based on metered usage, unless you struggle to budget (need to away a score or two evey month to cover the inevitable bill).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Seems they haven't been adding the correct meter readings as the gas was way over what it should be..I paid the £350 and I've entered the correct readings rather than their idiotic estimates.
Just a case of waiting to see how it pans out now👍

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
All you need to do is establish what the tariffs are for your energy and then begin to record how much you use on a regular basis.

Don't forget to include standing charges, VAT and day/night rates if you have both rates.

I would recommend starting a spreadsheet and record readings daily - depending on how shocked you are with your consumption you can begin to try and reduce or record less frequently.

I'm with BG and they are obliged to inform me if a competitors tariff would save me £1 or more per week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's high I think. Our semi, with excellent insulation in parts, not so good elsewhere, 4 bedrooms, many electrical appliances including a well used tumble drier and endless computer / phone rechargers, lights left needlessly on, heating on high 7 months of the year - gives a gas and elec bill of c. £120 per month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here