Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Clattenburg dropped from Premier League weekend fixtures

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's lucky he didn't make any dodgy decisions in that games otherwise rumours would start

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pathetic rule, travelling with assistant to game, sounds straight out of the EU

It's a curious rule though, isn't it? Does that mean that officials are chosen based on living in relative close proximity so they can travel together?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I disagree with all those saying it's pathetic. Granted the 'being together' thing is only a small measure but anything that can help prevent match-fixing (or be seen to help prevent it) is to be welcomed If a referee on his own had been approached before a game people would say 'why don't the officials travel together so they can back each other up'.

However in this instance I think the Authorities are more pissed-off because he took a call from Warnock when he was on his own. It was that more than the actual 'travelling alone' which upset them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No they have to travel to and from the hotel they stay in to ensure they're not compromised

Gotcha. Must only provide limited protection though, surely, given they will travel to the hotel separately and you'd think the bad guys know where they all live anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The question we need answering is how did Warnock have Clattenburg's private phone number ?
You're implying Warnock has the digit dexterity to use a phone.

I'd imagine Colin just got lucky with the tin can he was shouting into.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe be was going to Ed Sheeran with him ?

Yeah, Clattenburg was supposed to be picking him up but he apparently missed him even though Warnock was standing in front of the car shouting "Mark! I'm here! MARK! I'M RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're implying Warnock has the digit dexterity to use a phone.

I'd imagine Colin just got lucky with the tin can he was shouting into.

Come on, he's not Harry Redknapp.

I'd have thought it was more of a concern that Warnock was ringing a referee.

Not really sure what Warnock was moaning for- I mean: the penalty they didn't get (for the challenge on Zaha) was unfortunate (but funny, obviously). On the other hand, the one they did get, for the tackle on Bolasie, was a clear case of the referee feeling like he needed to even things up.

What goes around, comes around, Neil. And Zaha has certainly conned enough officials in his time...at least, back in the days when he was good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here