Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I see the Aussies are getting it right......again.

larus

Seems a reasonable precaution.

I don't understand the outrage over putting people into quarantine. There's an incubation period of approximately 21 days before symptoms show. In large cities, think how fast this could spread. If medical staff have contracted it in the US even though they had protective clothing, I wonder how easy it is to transmit. Maybe easier than was initially intimated.

i read something recently; a quote along the lines of the most serious threat to mankind would come from a virus.

i would rather governments take sensible precautions to stop any potential epidemic. Inconveniencing a few people for a short time is the most prudent action IMO.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They are protecting our interests here as well - With 300 Aussie barmen arriving everyday in the UK we'd be bound to get it here

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seems a reasonable precaution.

I don't understand the outrage over putting people into quarantine. There's an incubation period of approximately 21 days before symptoms show. In large cities, think how fast this could spread. If medical staff have contracted it in the US even though they had protective clothing, I wonder how easy it is to transmit. Maybe easier than was initially intimated.

i read something recently; a quote along the lines of the most serious threat to mankind would come from a virus.

i would rather governments take sensible precautions to stop any potential epidemic. Inconveniencing a few people for a short time is the most prudent action IMO.

Ebola isn't infectious until the symptoms show. Medical staff have caught it because they haven't been careful enough with precautions and have admitted as much.
Australia issue very few visas to the affected countries in any case, so it's hardly going to cause hardship. It's just the press hyping up the news again.

larus

Ebola isn't infectious until the symptoms show. Medical staff have caught it because they haven't been careful enough with precautions and have admitted as much.
Australia issue very few visas to the affected countries in any case, so it's hardly going to cause hardship. It's just the press hyping up the news again.

The problem which I could see is that if so one gets infected and travels to a large city but doesn't realise they are infected (assume they only have cold/flu), then infect others, this is how it could spread quite quickly in a densely populated city.

I haven't read read a huge amount about it, but something I read stated it could be transmitted by coughing/sneezing. Is that correct???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem which I could see is that if so one gets infected and travels to a large city but doesn't realise they are infected (assume they only have cold/flu), then infect others, this is how it could spread quite quickly in a densely populated city.

I haven't read read a huge amount about it, but something I read stated it could be transmitted by coughing/sneezing. Is that correct???

No, it is contagious, not infectious. That means you have got to touch the person and exchange body fluids. The most dangerous time for catching ebola is handling the dead body.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

No it's not in the slightest bit correct so how about you shut up and go and read up a bit at which point you'd understand what a pathetically miniscule threat the disease poses to the western world at which point you might understand just how pointless this Australian travel ban is, although unsurprising, it's a horrible racist country.

larus

No it's not in the slightest bit correct so how about you shut up and go and read up a bit at which point you'd understand what a pathetically miniscule threat the disease poses to the western world at which point you might understand just how pointless this Australian travel ban is, although unsurprising, it's a horrible racist country.

Hmm, maybe in your haste you missed the point where I said something I read stated it could be transmitted by coughing/sneezing. So, why don't you shut up and read before jumping in.

larus

Well smartarse, the CDC state that it CAN be transmitted by coughing/sneezing.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

pillock..!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yoda

English & European
Well smartarse, the CDC state that it CAN be transmitted by coughing/sneezing.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

The word they used is MAY, and you'd have to be pretty ####### unlucky to contract it.

CDC said:
Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

And we know how the Americans love to make a mountain out of a mole hill, and over exaggerate.

larus

Not at all.
I think we can sometimes not treat nature with enough respect and assume that science knows everything and can prevent anything.
For example, I wasn't aware that the virus could live outside of the body on dry surfaces for several hours. I accept it's not airborne, and understand that it is extremely unlikely to mutate to become airborne. However, as there is no proven cure yet, and it has such a high mortality rate, prudent practices would appear eminently sensible.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If the cap fits etc etc......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if one looks at nearly all the stories of Ebola out side of Africa, i think you'll see a common theme of nurses and doctors treating the sick carrying it back. Sierra Leonis are not travelling infected, western health workers are travelling infected. so this is a usless gesture. to contain the spread, they need to ban/quarantine any healthworker who has been in west africa in the past month, something few would agree is fair or likely to happen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 59728 10734129_10152452678576872_4038676843459170287_n.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Wow - so a civil discussion is turned into an insult throwing match - well done !!!! And it's a bit of pot, kettle and black given your last statement. I doubt you've even been within a few thousand miles of Australia.

if one looks at nearly all the stories of Ebola out side of Africa, i think you'll see a common theme of nurses and doctors treating the sick carrying it back. Sierra Leonis are not travelling infected, western health workers are travelling infected. so this is a usless gesture. to contain the spread, they need to ban/quarantine any healthworker who has been in west africa in the past month, something few would agree is fair or likely to happen.
Indeed. The Australian government is, however, trying to opt out of any responsibility for the wellbeing of Australian citizens who volunteer to work in West Africa. They seem to be expecting the UK authorities to provide the facilities for Australian health workers travelling out of West Africa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here