Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany Christmas Markets

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Drink gluhwein - preferably get it in the cups you can keep - they have the year and place of the market so make good and useful souvenirs. Be prepared for the food to fur your arteries. The markets are really good and great atmosphere

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Where in Germany are you going?

Drink Gluwein, eat Currywurst, people-watch and enjoy. The Gluwein cups vary between markets, so you can end up with a nice collection if you keep them, otherwise you can return them for the 2-3 Euro deposit back ("fur zuruck" is a useful phrase for this)

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes drink the gluhwein and lots of it. Everything else about those Xmas markets is awful. Overcrowding, crap music and smells, overpriced crap and smoking santas. Awful

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
If you wanted to get ripped off at a German Xmas market you could've just gone to Manchester :)

I've been to Munichs i did find them a bit spread out though. Just enjoy the German experience as a whole we spent mor etime in Beer halls than the markets and had a cracking time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As mentioned, currywurst is great, of course. But just a plain bratwurst from on of those circular booths with a smoky fire in the middle and a vast, sausage-laden iron grid dangling above it rocks my world every time. (I dunno much about German markets but the one in Cologne is meant to be huge and it's a nice city anyway).

May 12, 2009
Went to Cologne last year, there are 7 separate markets each with a different theme. Going back again this year and visiting Aachen too.

Worth driving over in order to bring beer back from the German supermarkets.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
we were going to Cologne, its me, my gf and my son from a previous relationship, she's allowing me to have him for 2 nights, and the only flights to Cologne were arriving at either 9pm or 7 am, so ruled that out

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes drink the gluhwein and lots of it. Everything else about those Xmas markets is awful. Overcrowding, crap music and smells, overpriced crap and smoking santas. Awful
I've only been to ones in Belgium but that sounds about right - load of old tat.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Drink gluhwein - preferably get it in the cups you can keep - they have the year and place of the market so make good and useful souvenirs. Be prepared for the food to fur your arteries. The markets are really good and great atmosphere
Glue wine sounds a bit sticky.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
What's wrong with smoking Santa's?
e126b1078f526e06ed37266945231b16.jpg

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
We're off to Cologne and Dusseldorf on the 5th December.

I've been to Cologne before and as someone else said, there are several markets to go to. The one by the cathedral is best and there are some nice little bars around too.

And LB, I NEED all those glass decorations!!:xmas: I do:xmas:

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Sorry to hijack - Has anybody been to the Budapest Xmas markets?
Any tips/recomendations?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been to quite a few over the years. The best one is allegedly the big Nurenburg one but they're all similar and all good fun.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Tirer great German city nice Christmas markets fab museum and Roman buildings highly recomend

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here