Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could being TOO SLOW this time cause relegation?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
A quicker appointment of Hyypia would've given the bloke a full summer to assess the squad - we were too slow on that front.
An appointment of his preferred No. 2 might've given us a management team that actually knew each other and could work together - leaving it so late on the Lee front left us with Nathan Jones.
A quicker purchase of decent strikers for this level would've allowed us to negotiate on decent terms, rather than bargaining with c.£8m in the bank.
Rumours of Clayton, Ward, etc blew those deals out of the water, why couldn't we use the 'don't tell the fans anything' policy on those ones???
Now we're the last club in the bottom 5 to make a change. Hopefully the delay in getting in someone with knowledge of the Championship won't cost us our place.
Are we too skint to be able to pay off the likes of Hyypia, Burke or Barber???

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Barber OUT

But in all seriousness considering Barber is the one making the cuts and saving money, I doubt he'd axe himself!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No'one in the World thought anyone would bid £8m for Leo ie it was 99% he would start for us...understandably we looked for players to support Leo for months. Hence this season is a write off. Just bad luck, it happens sometime

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Took longer to appoint Garcia and we did ok.

The thing that still riles me is the non-signing of Ward, that should have been sown up immediately after Derby. If we had to pay slightly more wages so what, that would have been covered by the release of Kiszcczak, Orlandi, Lingaard and Andrews.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Taking too SLOW to sack Hyppia will cause us to be relegated, if you take the benchmark of needing 50+ points to be safe then we need 37/38 points from the next 32 matches. At the moment it is 0.92 a match points average and we need now just to be safe to average 1.18 and you can forget top 6 as we need to average 1.93 points a match to reach 75 points and not a hope in hell of that.

Best we can hope for this season now is a bottom 8 finish and good luck selling tickets for next season on that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Taking too SLOW to sack Hyppia will cause us to be relegated, if you take the benchmark of needing 50+ points to be safe then we need 37/38 points from the next 32 matches. At the moment it is 0.92 a match points average and we need now just to be safe to average 1.18 and you can forget top 6 as we need to average 1.93 points a match to reach 75 points and not a hope in hell of that.

Best we can hope for this season now is a bottom 8 finish and good luck selling tickets for next season on that.

Very good point.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I also think the games we've played have been against the easier teams - only decent opposition so far has been Watford and Boro.
The sooner we sack him the better.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A quicker appointment of Hyypia would've given the bloke a full summer to assess the squad - we were too slow on that front.
An appointment of his preferred No. 2 might've given us a management team that actually knew each other and could work together - leaving it so late on the Lee front left us with Nathan Jones.
A quicker purchase of decent strikers for this level would've allowed us to negotiate on decent terms, rather than bargaining with c.£8m in the bank.
Rumours of Clayton, Ward, etc blew those deals out of the water, why couldn't we use the 'don't tell the fans anything' policy on those ones???
Now we're the last club in the bottom 5 to make a change. Hopefully the delay in getting in someone with knowledge of the Championship won't cost us our place.
Are we too skint to be able to pay off the likes of Hyypia, Burke or Barber???

What are you on about? The season finished for us on the 11th May and Hypia was appointed on the 6th June, three weeks before pre season training started. What makes you think 'rumours' about the deals we were in 'blew them out of the water'? Middlesbrough were always after Clayton and who knows what Ward's agent was pushing behind the scenes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What I dont get is TB has a team of people collecting football stat data. Assign one to the championship and you would have an idea of what management style works, best team formations and best available players.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames

Very worrying figures indeed. On the season ticket front, we'd need a bloody good manager who will show promising signs for next season and a few purchases in Jan to give us some hope, otherwise we'll be looking at c.17k season tickets next season in my opinion.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Sums it up. The board are so slow to act it's unbelievable. I'm amazed and very concerned that he hasn't been sacked yet... tomorrow night could be horrendous.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
And that's assuming the new season tickets are correctly priced/reduced for the CUSTOMERS.
If we finish in the lower half / just avoid the drop to League 1 should it be reduce the ticket prices and "sell 'em cheap,stack 'em high (a la Tesco),more bums on seats and maybe an improvement in atmosphere? Or are we jiggered?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody is panicking unduly, we have not won in October for 5 years and this year was no different. We will stay undefeatefd for a few weeks and pick up some wins on the way, possibly starting at Bournemouth followed by Wigan at home. Midtable finish is what I expect although a little disillusioned with TB statement at the fans forum to look at the squad after the transfer window. I expect him to put that right soon and hope I am not wrong to put my faith in TB.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I also think the games we've played have been against the easier teams - only decent opposition so far has been Watford and Boro.
The sooner we sack him the better.

Not true. Have a look at the table. We've played 14 out of 23, all of who make up a fairly even spread across current league positions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everybody is panicking unduly, we have not won in October for 5 years and this year was no different. We will stay undefeatefd for a few weeks and pick up some wins on the way, possibly starting at Bournemouth followed by Wigan at home. Midtable finish is what I expect although a little disillusioned with TB statement at the fans forum to look at the squad after the transfer window. I expect him to put that right soon and hope I am not wrong to put my faith in TB.

We won at Peterborough 30 Oct 2011 just THREE years ago.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What are you on about? The season finished for us on the 11th May and Hypia was appointed on the 6th June, three weeks before pre season training started.

Exactly, Sami Hyypia was appointed in plenty of time the club just made a big error in bringing in a manager who was going to destroy all the momentum we've built up over a period of time by trying to impose a different style of play that just doesn't work. If anything was too slow it was squad building and I'm at the point where I'm not sure who to blame for that one? Was it David Burke and the recruitment team dragging their heels and penny pinching? or did they just have the same trouble understanding Hyypia's style and tactics as the rest of us do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here