Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Incident advice needed

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Hey all,

So someone I know was driving to work and whilst stationary was hit from behind. As a result of the impact she hit the car in front of her causing the cars to scratch and trade paint essentially.

At the time, the driver in front of her said it was fine and that all was needed was a simple T-cut.

Nothing was said until within the last hour the person I know received a vile voicemail from the woman demanding money off her immediately.

So, people of NSC, what is the situation here? Clearly it was not my friend's fault in this incident but the other woman seems to be furious all of a sudden despite leaving on good terms this morning and continued their normal everyday regimes...

Does my friend need to claim on her insurance? Does my friend need to pay this woman for a new paint job on her car?

Thanks in advance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine the woman who hit your friends car could be responsible for all the repair bills. Best advise the insurance company and hope your friend has got the correct and genuine insurance and address details plus reg no of the car that hit her. The insurance companies will sort it. I'd advise your friend to tell the person she hit that it's being dealt with by the insurance company. I wouldn't'agree to pay or evenhave any further contact with the woman she hit. Leave it to the insurance company.

If your friend hasn't got the details of the person who hit her, it's going to be a problem.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hopefully all three drivers swapped names and addresses and phone numbers.

Then, phone your insurance company straight away - they'll give you a reference number. Any subsequent correspondence from the other drivers, just refer them to your insurers - give them the reference number and phone number, then hang up (politely if possible, but if they're effin' and blinding, just put the phone down).

Apr 12, 2011
If she was hit from behind then she should have exchanged insurance details at the time and reported it to her insurance company.

She should now call them again and pass them the details of this additional party.

For rear end contact they usually accept liability straight away so it should relatively easy for this gobby woman to claim from the driver who caused the accident.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Keep the recording of the message...phone her back, tell her unless she goes back to her original 'no issue' position she will take the recording to the Police and her lawyers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Keep the recording of the message...phone her back, tell her unless she goes back to her original 'no issue' position she will take the recording to the Police and her lawyers.

And how far do you think you will get with that. If you don't have a witness to the original conversation you are stuffed. She might have been a bit gobby but she has every right to make a claim. As others have said though, report it to the insurers. Also, a reminder that if you are in a similar position, take a photos of the damage with your phone. At the end of the day, the car causing the initial impact should stump up the cash/insurance but you are duty bound to notify your own insurers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bad advice. Just don't get involved. Leave it to the insurance company to sort - that's what you pay them for.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The bird in the front vehicle has probably been told by someone to try and mug your friend off, its the kind of shitty society we live in unfortunately

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Also whenever insurers get involved expect all premiums to go up considerably

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And how far do you think you will get with that. If you don't have a witness to the original conversation you are stuffed. She might have been a bit gobby but she has every right to make a claim.

i think the point there is to kill off the "vile voicemail". of course she (the front driver) should have a right to claim, but not be abusive. clearly details where exchanged otherwise she wouldnt be able to call, so inform insurer *and* feedback to the front driver its in the hands of the insurers, and the police if she wants to continue abuse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i think the point there is to kill off the "vile voicemail". of course she (the front driver) should have a right to claim, but not be abusive. clearly details where exchanged otherwise she wouldnt be able to call, so inform insurer *and* feedback to the front driver its in the hands of the insurers, and the police if she wants to continue abuse.

Wouldn't disagree with that. What seems to be looming over the horizon is a bit of whiplash!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I had the same thing happen to me on the way in Brighton on the way to Wembley in 1991, although the van in front had a massive dent on the rear. I seem to remember the van driver claimed from my insurance and my insurance company claimed that plus my front and rear damage from the car which hit me. I could be wrong though, it was a pretty shitty day all in all having to get a taxi back into Brighton to pick up another car, seeing us lose and then having to get my car AA'ed back to Bexhill from Brighton when we got back.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't lose sight of the basics here. Always remember that blame is not the same as claim.

Absolutely key is that liability [who pays] falls on negligence. If the middle car driver can prove they were not negligent, the blame and the claim move to the fella at the back.

It is fairly common acceptance that if you hit the vehicle in front, you are to blame - but there are circumstances where this isn't always the case - its all about proving negligence.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

she didn't want to know then suddenly 'demanded cash' Does she have an issue with a standard claim ie she's uninsured accidentally or deliberately potentially, maybe disqualified (which is why she initially didn't exchange insurance info??)

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
she didn't want to know then suddenly 'demanded cash' Does she have an issue with a standard claim ie she's uninsured accidentally or deliberately potentially, maybe disqualified (which is why she initially didn't exchange insurance info??)

Probably got home and got grief from her husband, who insisted she made the call.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
She may have been partly at fault if she should'vr had her handbrake on? It depends on the situation but it's amazing how few people bother with them these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here