Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Any advice on becoming a courier ?

0 Not allowed!
    Looking for career change and could get my own van whatever size . A recent advert for yodel and Hermes said it could be quite flexible. Not looking to earn that much .Or could do self employed part time. What experiences does anybody have. Thanks.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      You been watching too much Shipping Wars
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Looking for career change and could get my own van whatever size . A recent advert for yodel and Hermes said it could be quite flexible. Not looking to earn that much .Or could do self employed part time. What experiences does anybody have. Thanks.
      Dont join either. With Hermes you have to work 6 days a week and have dropped the rate per parcel and are now targetting Eastern Europeans with a car as they need no cards etc being self employed. A friend of mine has worked for them for 14 years and earns good money but as her rounds have got busier with more on line shopping, they have made it into 2 rounds and reduced the rate from 85p per parcel to 52p and given one half to another courier.

0 Not allowed!
      Start off by throwing stuff from the van up against the front door, save you a few weeks of wasted effort
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hopkins View Post
      I went self employed as a courier , worse decision of my life , did it for a year , really hard to make money , the costs of owning and running a van are very high ,insurance is very high .
      You make very little per drop , my advice dont do it
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Way to much completion out there...It will take time to build a reputation and you'll be doing serious hours and mileage.
      Going rate is what £1 mile?

0 Not allowed!
      Be prepared to get stuck in traffic , parking fines, late finish's, what's not to like
      regards
      DR
      Seaweed! Seaweed! GoldWithFalmer's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Mate of mine worked as a delivery driver for Wicks and Howdens's *10 stops a day maybe* and has his own business as a man with a luton van,he is very fit as you can imagine,delivering sand cement,kitchen units,wood,paving slabs you name it..

Anyway,he tried Citylink *proper multidrop courier work* for a spell as a subcontract cover driver for a few months...

It absolutely blew his mind and was a nightmare,he only went out with 60 drops in a town centre route,it was not for him.

Seems like a decent enough job,but you can get treated like shyte and put upon,many drivers go out with 100-150 drops a day add,to that,timed deliveries,baulk deliveries,early or worse still narrow collection windows and you can find yourself doing 11 -13-15hour days..

In all weather...hope your not a talker,well not too much.......1 minute talking per drop could cost you 2 hours..
      In Deo Fidemus we know our history,yet we embrace change-Hello from the real Brighton

Posh? i'd say a non clock watcher,an early riser,creator of ones own fortune,a grafter,a clever dick,an inheritor,a late home type,one that makes sacrifice,gifted maybe.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      My friend working for Hermes has approx 140 deliveries a day at average 52p a drop depending on size which is approx £72 per day less motor expenses plus they take about 50p per day for parcel insurance. So for 6 days it isnt brilliant money.
      Seaweed! Seaweed! GoldWithFalmer's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      My friend working for Hermes has approx 140 deliveries a day at average 52p a drop depending on size which is approx £72 per day less motor expenses plus they take about 50p per day for parcel insurance. So for 6 days it isnt brilliant money.
      Must be working for the wrong type of courier company,some subbies i know can make £800-£1200/week,still that's the likes of DPD UPS DHL DX TNT FEDEX TUFFNELLS CITYLINK and so forth..(Little clue for the OP there)
      In Deo Fidemus we know our history,yet we embrace change-Hello from the real Brighton

Posh? i'd say a non clock watcher,an early riser,creator of ones own fortune,a grafter,a clever dick,an inheritor,a late home type,one that makes sacrifice,gifted maybe.