Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any advice on becoming a courier ?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Looking for career change and could get my own van whatever size . A recent advert for yodel and Hermes said it could be quite flexible. Not looking to earn that much .Or could do self employed part time. What experiences does anybody have. Thanks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looking for career change and could get my own van whatever size . A recent advert for yodel and Hermes said it could be quite flexible. Not looking to earn that much .Or could do self employed part time. What experiences does anybody have. Thanks.

Dont join either. With Hermes you have to work 6 days a week and have dropped the rate per parcel and are now targetting Eastern Europeans with a car as they need no cards etc being self employed. A friend of mine has worked for them for 14 years and earns good money but as her rounds have got busier with more on line shopping, they have made it into 2 rounds and reduced the rate from 85p per parcel to 52p and given one half to another courier.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I went self employed as a courier , worse decision of my life , did it for a year , really hard to make money , the costs of owning and running a van are very high ,insurance is very high .
You make very little per drop , my advice dont do it

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Way to much completion out there...It will take time to build a reputation and you'll be doing serious hours and mileage.
Going rate is what £1 mile?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Mate of mine worked as a delivery driver for Wicks and Howdens's *10 stops a day maybe* and has his own business as a man with a luton van,he is very fit as you can imagine,delivering sand cement,kitchen units,wood,paving slabs you name it..

Anyway,he tried Citylink *proper multidrop courier work* for a spell as a subcontract cover driver for a few months...

It absolutely blew his mind and was a nightmare,he only went out with 60 drops in a town centre route,it was not for him.

Seems like a decent enough job,but you can get treated like shyte and put upon,many drivers go out with 100-150 drops a day add,to that,timed deliveries,baulk deliveries,early or worse still narrow collection windows and you can find yourself doing 11 -13-15hour days..

In all weather...hope your not a talker,well not too much.......1 minute talking per drop could cost you 2 hours..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My friend working for Hermes has approx 140 deliveries a day at average 52p a drop depending on size which is approx £72 per day less motor expenses plus they take about 50p per day for parcel insurance. So for 6 days it isnt brilliant money.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My friend working for Hermes has approx 140 deliveries a day at average 52p a drop depending on size which is approx £72 per day less motor expenses plus they take about 50p per day for parcel insurance. So for 6 days it isnt brilliant money.

Must be working for the wrong type of courier company,some subbies i know can make £800-£1200/week,still that's the likes of DPD UPS DHL DX TNT FEDEX TUFFNELLS CITYLINK and so forth..(Little clue for the OP there)

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Don't get caught. Be careful of which countries you enter, some have the death penalty. If you swallow the wraps don't over do it.:thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must be working for the wrong type of courier company,some subbies i know can make £800-£1200/week,still that's the likes of DPD UPS DHL DX TNT FEDEX TUFFNELLS CITYLINK and so forth..(Little clue for the OP there)
She was until they split the round into 2 and reduced the rate due to being able to get the deliveries done cheaper. It must be remembered that Hermes are the biggest and busiest home courier company in the Uk. If they can do it when will the others follow suit?

Son used to drive for DX they pay between £180 and £200 per day for a Sprinter size van and running costs have to come out of that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

£800-£1200 for driving a van. Surprised more people don't do it :shit:

*edit* I suspect that you have got me and Pink Fairy to agree on something - congratulations :eek:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I am an owner driver for UK Mail. It is a FT commitment, make no mistake. I am very fortunate in that the round I took on has no daily collections, so pretty much when I'm finished delivering I am done, usually between 1 and 2. Most drivers don't get back to the depot till 4.30-5 at the earliest, sometimes 6 if your round is a distance from the depot. Most get in around 6am, so a 12 hour day, even longer if you live far away. I live in T Wells, deliver in T Wells and the depot is in T Wells so I use a lot less diesel than most. Drop rate is £1.52 for small bags, £1.82 for boxes, that's the lowest in the depot as my round is local. Drop rate can go up to about £3 max for rural routes away from the depot. Obviously you are using more fuel and doing less drops. I can average about 16 drops an hour, so 80 drops would take me 5 hours, delivering 8-1, earning about £135. Using about a tenner for diesel, so not too bad. Van is on a 4 year lease for £235 a month, so again, not much, insurance about £120 a month.

You'd need to contact local depots and find out which, if any rounds they have available and see if you fancy it. Most important thing - FIND OUT THE TIME OF YOUR COLLECTIONS, or you could get stitched right up !!

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
She was until they split the round into 2 and reduced the rate due to being able to get the deliveries done cheaper. It must be remembered that Hermes are the biggest and busiest home courier company in the Uk. If they can do it when will the others follow suit?

Son used to drive for DX they pay between £180 and £200 per day for a Sprinter size van and running costs have to come out of that.

Fair comment and you did mention that i notice in your other posts,well at the end of the day couriers are drivers for the company they work for and in theory they can be taken off a round and put on any round at any time.

With regards to subcontractors across the board,many now only want owner drivers so within reason there are opportunities out there to be had,but business to business courier work rather than the type of work that Hermes carry out will need a different type of driver..after all the type of work your son did for DX was similar but quite different to Hermes.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here