Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anyone on here look at CV's

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i was just wondering if anyone could look at my cv and tell me what is wrong with it and what i need to change and if you do look at CV's please pm me

cheers
mark

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Mark if you are on Facebook have a look for the Brighton youth employability advisors, they will help you with your CV, helped me when I needed it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd say that tip number one is that CVs doesn't need an apostrophe.

Seriously, check your spelling - a CV littered with mistakes is really not a good advertisement

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My wife knew someone in HR and they used to have do many good applications that they used to ditch any with even one spelling mistake. This method would get 200 applications down to about 30.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Spelling is vital - I often reduce a pile of CV's quickly by removing those with mistakes as I work in a field where accuracy and checking is necessary. If a person can't be bothered to do this with their CV, will they be bothered to do it for the work you are paying them for?

Another tip, if posting a printed copy of your CV, draw attention to it by printing it on a pastel shaded paper - nothing in your face, something subtle, yellow works well. This way it will look different & stand out from the rest that are printed on white paper and is likely to draw curiosity from your potential employer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
My wife knew someone in HR and they used to have do many good applications that they used to ditch any with even one spelling mistake. This method would get 200 applications down to about 30.

Shame some HR departments don't look through their job adverts for the same

Jul 7, 2003
A mate of mine always says that your CV should be your best piece of work because it is about the subject you know best - you.

Depending on skills and experience, it is sometimes best to have different CVs. I have a large master CV which has everything on it but I then have different versions to use which highlight either management, technical or customer service skills depending on what the role is I am applying for.

If you are responding to a specific advert, make sure you have covered off any of the skills and experience listed in the essential or desirable section of the person spec. Using bullet points to highlight these make it easier for anyone shortlisting to make sure you score highly. In many organisations, the initial sift of applications is carried out either by a third party or by someone on HR who doesn't necessarily know about the role but is checking the CV against a scoring checklist.

Always read anything relating to the job carefully. I was recruiting for a Customer Services Manager a few years ago and one of the essential skills listed was "clear and concise communications". One CV that came in was handwritten and had ten continuation pages explaining their skills so that person didn't make the shortlist.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other thing to avoid is lying. It sounds obvious but you'd be amazed at how many people do so. The worst I had was a guy who said he spoke fluent German. As I speak the language this was an easy one to check - he couldn't understand even the simplest sentence and he admitted he couldn't speak a word. What was the point of putting that on a CV?

I've not seen any as bad as that since but I have seen others that stretch the truth a bit too much - and it's easy to check things online these days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here