Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not much needed to turn the season around.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Two strikers of at least Championship class, a less overzealous style of play (sometimes less fancy football is more effective), an understanding between the goalkeeper and his defence, less team rotation (a settled team is a winning team), players played in their correct positions, confidence, and last but no less important, supporters to turn up even when things are not going quite the way we all want them to.

That's all.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's pretty simple, we either need our existing manager to deliver tactics and formations that fit the squad we have now or we find a new manager that can.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told Saturday that Arsenal have an 18 /19 year old scoring goals for fun in the DS could we look at him on loan. Tried a search on the Arsenal website but couldnt find his name.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I was told Saturday that Arsenal have an 18 /19 year old scoring goals for fun in the DS could we look at him on loan. Tried a search on the Arsenal website but couldnt find his name.

Chuba Akpom. Think he went on loan to Coventry.
He scored a hatrick for Arsenal U21's in September and grab a goal or 2 in a few other games. Don't think he's set the world alight at Coventry. 6 apps no goals. Although that was last season.

He seems available now

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
It's pretty simple, we either need our existing manager to deliver tactics and formations that fit the squad we have now or we find a new manager that can.

One worries that should the current manager be sacked, the board will have to find someone who is willing to manage a team that has new signings imposed on him that might not be no better than First division quality. I feel that if the club were to bring in two quality strikers our season would then turn around. There have been games this season that we would have won but due to the lack of fire power have not. Cardiff, Ipswich, Rotherham, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield spring to mind. I noticed last Saturday that once Rotherham scored confidence amongst our players melted away, the players seemed to panic running around like headless chickens and team formation disintegrated. The most alarming thing for me was that the manager, in his after match interview, gave the impression that he had no idea on how he would be able to improve matters.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I noticed last Saturday that once Rotherham scored confidence amongst our players melted away, the players seemed to panic running around like headless chickens and team formation disintegrated. The most alarming thing for me was that the manager, in his after match interview, gave the impression that he had no idea on how he would be able to improve matters.

Glad you said this I noticed the same thing.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Correct.
Its no good bleating about our strikers being ineffective, when they are regularly played out of position and get no service from our hopeless midfield. Bringing in fresh faces will make little or no difference. Start playing to the strengths of Baldock and CMS and you may start seeing some goals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two strikers of at least Championship class, a less overzealous style of play (sometimes less fancy football is more effective), an understanding between the goalkeeper and his defence, less team rotation (a settled team is a winning team), players played in their correct positions, confidence, and last but no less important, supporters to turn up even when things are not going quite the way we all want them to.

Not much then!

Just a complete change of everything!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We need a decent striker and (sorry Calde) but a marauding wing back that will suit Hyppia's style.

At the moment our two fullbacks need to be two of the best players in the team to play their role and they aren't, that includes Bennett and Bruno but at least they are 'competent'.

Calde is a great fullback but he is not a wing back.

If we sign a big name strike that knocks in goals, it might bring some of the supporters back.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Correct.
Its no good bleating about our strikers being ineffective, when they are regularly played out of position and get no service from our hopeless midfield. Bringing in fresh faces will make little or no difference. Start playing to the strengths of Baldock and CMS and you may start seeing some goals.

Agreed

We need a decent striker and (sorry Calde) but a marauding wing back that will suit Hyppia's style.

At the moment our two fullbacks need to be two of the best players in the team to play their role and they aren't, that includes Bennett and Bruno but at least they are 'competent'.

Calde is a great fullback but he is not a wing back.

Agree to a point but also we are not likely to find many gems on loan and we know how much the club hates transfers in January, so I don't see bringing in players better than we have now as likely to happen

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Correct.

This. On saturday baldock had to go running all over the pitch to find the ball, it should be finding him either in or just outside the area. We have stopped creating chances. before it was our poor finishing letting us down, now there are fewer chances to balls up in spectacular fashion. The Cardiff game seems so long ago now, but at least that game proved it is possible for us to attack properly, we seem to have forgotten that at the moment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agreed

and we know how much the club hates transfers in January

We've actually done a decent amount of business in January over the last few years and we tried to do a lot more last year. I reckon we'll be pretty busy.

There might be some significant outs as well. CMS and Lua Lua haven't signed contracts yet have they?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think confidence has taken such a knock that, at the moment, a new striker etc might not make the impact we hope. I tend to err on the side of optimism, that , give time, most managers/players will get it right. "No win in 10" doesn't tell the whole story, neither does "1 defeat in 6". Sami has worked hard to try and instill a new system throughout the team, and across the majority of games it has nearly worked. When you introduce change in any organisation, you have to be prepared to stick with it - the danger of not doing so is that people then see you throw away your principles and dont commit to them. Of course the flip side is that stubborn refusal to be flexible can be equally destructive. Wenger is routinely accused of this in the media, and of course Brendan Rogers is another battling with this conundrum at the moment. The players confidence is vital, and my concern is that with new players to the Club, their confidence is often paper thin, as they know the jury is out. Strikers need to score early and without that confidence they then start making wrong decisions, playing safer options etc etc that are driven by fear of not making a mistake, rather than anticipation that gives them an extra yard.

I love the idea of the new system, but agree that Calderon is just not up to it...nothing to do with confidence just not built to be that kind of player. He could be if we are really on top of a game and pushing the opposition back consistently, but at the moment we are not.. I think a move towards 3-5-2 might be a starting point that doesn;t throw away the principles that Sami wants but might suit our current players better.. Definitely time to consider a change in discussion with the senior players so that confidence at Home doesn't disappear completely..

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Correct.

We've actually done a decent amount of business in January over the last few years and we tried to do a lot more last year. I reckon we'll be pretty busy.

There might be some significant outs as well. CMS and Lua Lua haven't signed contracts yet have they?

I guess it depends how Bloom & Co views the squad. If they feel its good enough for Championship survival, I cannot see them too willing to splash the cash as we keep on hearing how Bloom doesn't like doing business in January, in this instance the focus will be on trying to keep the likes of KLL and CMS.

If, on the other hand, Bloom & Co accept that our players just are not up to it, then perhaps we will see an influx.

My money is on the first scenario.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
One worries that should the current manager be sacked, the board will have to find someone who is willing to manage a team that has new signings imposed on him that might not be no better than First division quality. I feel that if the club were to bring in two quality strikers our season would then turn around. There have been games this season that we would have won but due to the lack of fire power have not. Cardiff, Ipswich, Rotherham, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield spring to mind. I noticed last Saturday that once Rotherham scored confidence amongst our players melted away, the players seemed to panic running around like headless chickens and team formation disintegrated. The most alarming thing for me was that the manager, in his after match interview, gave the impression that he had no idea on how he would be able to improve matters.

Well that just isn't true is it?

The manager is intimately involved in the process. Hyypia has stated a number of times he has had to get used to being involved in player selection as it was something he didn't do in Germany.

In addition, why should we be signing player of 1st Division quality? True, the forwards have been remarkable by their absence but players of the quality of Hughes, Holla, Colunga, Gardner, Bennett and Texeira cannot be described as 1st Division.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here