Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League One Squad

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There's been a lot of criticism on this forum since the Rotherham game, much of it justifed but there's one statement that is really starting to wind me up - "League 1 squad." It clearly isn't; though to me this is just another nail in the managers coffin.

We have 8 players that have played a reasonable amount of top flight football in a decent league.

Bruno
Hughes
Colunga
Crofts
Agustein
Stockdale
Holla
Bennett

The following 10 have played Premier League football or 50+ games in the Championship.

Greer
Dunk
Baldock
O Grady
CMS
JFC
Gary Gardener
Calderon
Ince
Lua Lua

Which leaves 8 who are inexperienced at this level or above.

McCourt - not counting the SPL as a decent league
Chicksen
Ankergren
Teixeira - played Portugal U21
March - played England U21
Nzuzi - not counting the Swiss league as a decent league
Fenelon
Stephens - who has looked good at this level so far when fit.

We clearly have 2 major gaps at the moment - a striker that can lead the line on their own and put the ball in the net and a right back that is capable of getting up and down the touchline for a full game.

I agree that the quality isn't where it's been for the last 18-24 months but a decent manager should easily have this squad in mid-table. With the 2 gaps above addressed, it should be pressing for the playoffs.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Our players in a decent system could be top 2 in League 1.

With this system I doubt they would even be top 6 league one.

You are correct and this squad should be mid table at least.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The squad is underachieving and that is why the bookies have us as long as 8 to 1 to get relegated. Right now the squad needs a manager who is reasonably experienced, a good communicator and sound organiser. With such a person in place results would improve.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think the point being made is that we are Division 1 bound on current form and the squad will be quite good in that division next season.

Would we be able to keep the squad together if the worst happens and we are relegated (which i seriously doubt will happen anyway) or will high wages and the drop in income mean we have to release / sell a lot of them to meet FFP?

Besides i think something will suddenly click (whether as the squad is now or with a new signing or 2) and we will put together a good run of results. We just need to get this monkey off our backs first (with all these draws and failing to win.)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm also getting quite annoyed with people saying "first division" when they mean "League 1."

First division in this country is the Premier League, you make your self look a bit silly if you get this one wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the OP has misheard or read. The moans mostly are about our League One STRIKERS.

CMS, Baldock ( at present that is what he is having not proved himself at this level yet), Fenelon and COG ( apparently quite good last season but I haven't seen it). For me Colunga is the only one I'd say may be a top Championship striker given game time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think the OP has misheard or read. The moans mostly are about our League One FORWARDS.

I've seen League 1 squad a few times. League 1 forwards, I wouldn't have a huge problems with, though all 4 of them have played significant amounts at this level or above in Colunga's case.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've seen League 1 squad a few times. League 1 forwards, I wouldn't have a huge problems with, though all 4 of them have played significant amounts at this level or above in Colunga's case.

Sam Baldock scored 23 goals last season in League One, and other than that his best returns have been 12 goals at the same level.

Chris O'Grady managed 15 in the Championship last season but other than that he has struggled to score at any level other than 15 in 24 for Rochdale in League Two.

Mackail-Smith's best return in the C'ship has been 11 goals (before he got injured so you'd say he'd probably have made 15 or so) but in League One he managed 27.

Colunga has never really been a consistent goalscorer.

I'm not suggesting that it's black and white - certainly there is more to strikers these days than just goals. However, on paper, it's a gamble to rely on these players to regularly deliver in the Championship (although being played out of position won't help).

Generally, you get what you pay for so if you want strikers that will score 15+ at this level you have to pay or find a hidden gem

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
League One strikers, for sure ( maybe we can give Colunga the benefit of the doubt if/when he settles in to the country ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here