Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Club. Let's be Heard

KRJ7

Jun 1, 2012
First of all, this is not another thread about sacking Sami Hyypia - the only thing I can see that he has done wrong is not get the tactics and formations right - albeit a fundamental part of the job. That however can only come from learning from mistakes and experience - something that he has little of. the current plight is not his fault and given time, an input of what players he wants, and a few tweaks, he might come good!?

For a long time something has not been right behind the scenes. I for one feel quite detached from the club in a way and I don't believe that our opinions are heard or actioned - afterall, without the fans there would be no club. Collectively, as a fanbase, we have overcome more hurdles than any other professional club and I would just like to feel that we are all on the same wave length here - I don't think that we are. If we are not planning on investing in the team then tell us that instead of saying we are pushing for a top 6 finish and our team is good enough - we know it is not.

I think it is time to appoint an experienced number 2 for Sami to learn from, someone who has been there and done it. someone with a wealth of tactical experience as well as someone who knows a good championship player. Then allow them to choose the players they want and stop with this philosophy of a suit wearer picking the transfer targets.

Finally, I want to stop hearing that we should take a look at where we have come from. Time has moved on, we are not the club with no ground anymore. Our expectations have changed and we are getting the crowds to generate a genuine push for the top flight.

If things don't improve then I think we should actually be heard!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I posted on another thread I agree that the biggest problem appears to be the No 2. None of us really know what NJ input is to SH and whether or not he is a better coach than no 2. Should we bring in an experienced man like Lennie Lawrernce or Alan Curbishley or should we get an old Hyppia team mate in to help like Jamie Carragher and put Mullery in as an advisor. The ball really is in TB court as to what he wants and what we can afford.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
There's a lot of sense here and you're expressing the thoughts of a great many, I'm sure.The only thing I can't agree with is the manager. He and his sidekick have shown little or no idea of how to improve things on the pitch and should go.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
First of all, this is not another thread about sacking Sami Hyypia - the only thing I can see that he has done wrong is not get the tactics and formations right - albeit a fundamental part of the job. That however can only come from learning from mistakes and experience - something that he has little of. the current plight is not his fault and given time, an input of what players he wants, and a few tweaks, he might come good!?

Personally I don't think this is unreasonable. GP was given time, I don't see why Sami shouldn't get the same courtesy. As far as I can see there is no signs Tony wants rid. I will expect him to go the day Tony publicly gives him a vote of confidence - that always seems to be the kiss of death.

For a long time something has not been right behind the scenes. I for one feel quite detached from the club in a way and I don't believe that our opinions are heard or actioned - afterall, without the fans there would be no club.

I believe that this is among the MOST engaged of all clubs for exactly the reason given.

Collectively, as a fanbase, we have overcome more hurdles than any other professional club and I would just like to feel that we are all on the same wave length here - I don't think that we are. If we are not planning on investing in the team then tell us that instead of saying we are pushing for a top 6 finish and our team is good enough - we know it is not.

Why is there an expectation that the club needs to give us, what are, confidential financial strategies. We are in the closed window and so the club has little room to recruit (perm) additions. Why should they tell us anything which could adversely impact any negotiations now or in the future?

I think it is time to appoint an experienced number 2 for Sami to learn from, someone who has been there and done it. someone with a wealth of tactical experience as well as someone who knows a good championship player. Then allow them to choose the players they want and stop with this philosophy of a suit wearer picking the transfer targets.

While I don't disagree with the premise, I would beg answers to the following...
1. What do you do with NJ? How does laying off (and paying off) a senior member of the backroom team help?
2. Where is this experienced championship manager who is willing to act as a number 2 coming from?
3. What makes you think that wearing a suit has any impact on the ability to find transfer targets? Recruitment needs to be done as a collaborative effort between a manager saying "I need this type of player" and a scouting network saying "this is what's available... but would you consider this?" That scouting network needs to be managed by someone... that someone will probably wear a suit. Modern football managers do not have the time (or probably the skills) to look after training, match day AND recruitment activities.

That's not to say that SH shouldn't be involved, he most definitely should, but he shouldn't be submitting a list of players, it should be a list of requirements (with perhaps preferences). He doesn't know every league, every youth team player, every new prospect.

Finally, I want to stop hearing that we should take a look at where we have come from. Time has moved on, we are not the club with no ground anymore. Our expectations have changed and we are getting the crowds to generate a genuine push for the top flight.

Crowds do not equate to a right to play at any particular level of football! We have come a long way both on and off the pitch and we have enjoyed a recent period of sustained success - when compared to the average position we've been in during the past 10/20/30 years. No club has a never ending upwards trajectory and although its natural, they should not give fans a sense entitlement.

With what outcome? Force out Sami? Burke? Bloom?

Do you honestly think that there is an alternative that is better? A manager who can guarantee success? A Football Director who can magic unsigned talent from the ether willing to play for nothing? An owner/chairmen who would care about the club more, pump in more money without strings attached and/or steer the club to long term stability while still gambling the house on the false payday of PL promotion?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Totally agree. How many new managers go solo into a club? all seem to have an entourage right down to the goalkeeping couch.Everybody needs someone who they trust to point out the errors, the proverbial shoulder to cry on. I thank god it wasn't Sammy Lee but it needs sorting and fast.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because a man doesnt hit it off at one club it doesnt mean he will not do it at another club. I personally would like to see Lennie Lawrence or Alan Curbishley come in as No 2 but would SH have confidence in their ability or would he want a Joe Fagan or other back room from Liverpool.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
As I posted on another thread I agree that the biggest problem appears to be the No 2. None of us really know what NJ input is to SH and whether or not he is a better coach than no 2. Should we bring in an experienced man like Lennie Lawrernce or Alan Curbishley or should we get an old Hyppia team mate in to help like Jamie Carragher and put Mullery in as an advisor. The ball really is in TB court as to what he wants and what we can afford.

So if none of us really know, how do you know that his biggest problem is Nathan Jones?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like most on here I dont, the same with Burke, but am still able to have a gut feeling on what we do see pitchside. Based on the view expressed in the post above nobody has a right to voice an opinion on the cause of our problems least of all sacking SH, Burke or Jones as we do not actually know. Ridiculous attitude ! we are fans and want the best for OUR club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I personally would like to see Lennie Lawrence or Alan Curbishley come in as No 2 but would SH have confidence in their ability or would he want a Joe Fagan or other back room from Liverpool.

People are already unhappy at Sami's own lack of visible 'passion' on the bench.

I can't imagine bringing in a dead bloke will improve things especially.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

For a long time something has not been right behind the scenes. I for one feel quite detached from the club in a way and I don't believe that our opinions are heard or actioned - afterall, without the fans there would be no club. Collectively, as a fanbase, we have overcome more hurdles than any other professional club and I would just like to feel that we are all on the same wave length here - I don't think that we are. If we are not planning on investing in the team then tell us that instead of saying we are pushing for a top 6 finish and our team is good enough - we know it is not.

Er...

To be fair I agree with a lot of what you've said. I still maintain that it will come good and I also believe we have the makings of a good team, albeit one that has trouble scoring. But that is nothing new - it's been like that for years, so it seems...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People are already unhappy at Sami's own lack of visible 'passion' on the bench.

I can't imagine bringing in a dead bloke will improve things especially.

I do wish you could read. .............. " or would he want A JOE FAGAN " not actually Joe Fagan but a long standing man like him from Liverpools back room who SH would have played under.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do wish you could read. .............. " or would he want A JOE FAGAN " not actually Joe Fagan but a long standing man like him from Liverpools back room who SH would have played under.

Ah - got it. Like Fagan, but not actually dead, and someone (unlike Fagan) that Hyypia played under?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about? Not only do you have none or very little knowledge of football but you cannot understand basic English.

Liverpool had under Shankly to Dalgleish etc a back room of staff that had been with them for many years and grew up with the club and the changing team of which Joe Fagan was probably one of the best known. They probably still have many who nobody other than ex players would have heard of and that is who I am saying SH may prefer, somebody he knows and has worked with rather than just bringing somebody in who he doesnt know.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

So what you are saying is that you are guessing Jones is the problem when successive managers appear to have liked the cut of his jib and he was a fundamental part of an effort that got us to the playoffs last year.

You then advocate either getting someone in who other clubs wouldn't touch with a bargepole or who's recent history is one of extreme failure or have no experience of coaching or management and would cost an absolute fortune to get off their Sky Sports couch.

Even Mullery which doesn't sound utterly ridiculous, is a bit out of touch.

It's a bit of a long shot isn't it? I'm not mad keen on the Hypia/ Jones axis but against this wild shot in the dark I'd probably stick rather than twist.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What are you on about? Not only do you have none or very little knowledge of football but you cannot understand basic English.

Liverpool had under Shankly to Dalgleish etc a back room of staff that had been with them for many years and grew up with the club and the changing team of which Joe Fagan was probably one of the best known. They probably still have many who nobody other than ex players would have heard of and that is who I am saying SH may prefer, somebody he knows and has worked with rather than just bringing somebody in who he doesnt know.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm starting to grasp it now. You want someone from Liverpool who is NOT dead, unlike Fagan, and who actually WAS there when Sami was, unlike Fagan, that is still there in the background 5 years after Sami left, that nobody has heard of, to become our new assistant manager?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm starting to grasp it now. You want someone from Liverpool who is NOT dead, unlike Fagan, and who actually WAS there when Sami was, unlike Fagan, that is still there in the background 5 years after Sami left, that nobody has heard of, to become our new assistant manager?

What's so hard to understand about that? :lolol:

This thread's really cheered me up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here