Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More sense from Mr Naylor

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sami Hyypia is absolutely right. Something has to change.

Albion are at a junction, with four routes to choose from.

Carrying on straight ahead will only mean continuing downhill.

They can turn left and change the manager, turn right and change some of the players.

Or Hyypia can go into reverse and change tactics.

The man who has to drive the change, one way or another, is Albion's chairman and owner, Tony Bloom.

Multi-millionaires are only human. They are not immune from mistakes, misreading the signs and travelling in the wrong direction.

There has been a malfunction between the man in charge of the team at Albion and the recruitment of players for some time, long before Hyypia's appointment.

It began in the latter stages of Gus Poyet's reign, continued with Oscar Garcia and is evident again now with Hyypia in charge.

He has not got enough of the type of players he would have liked to implement his style: full-backs operating like wingers, players switched on to fill in the gaps behind, a mobile and clinical strike force.

Albion presumably did their due diligence when they appointed the Finn, were aware of his vision, the sort of side he would seek to produce? If not, why not?

They have fallen well short with the players signed in an almighty flurry, 11 of them in total, the majority once the season had started.

It is not too late to make amends, or at least try to. The loan window is open until the last week of November for a temporary fix, then they can regroup and assess the situation again in January.

The alternatives? Shift blame, abandon Hyypia and turn to a manager with a proven record in the Championship, somebody like Chris Hughton or Brian McDermott.

Or for Hyypia to conclude the players at his disposal, not of the same calibre as those he was alongside at Liverpool or had under his command at Bayer Leverkusen, would benefit from a more orthodox system. The latter is probably unpalatable to Hyypia but may be the best hope, in the prevailing circumstances, of keeping his job.

A point is reached where results dictate a decision, irrespective of mitigating considerations.

That point could be the ten-match run without a win in the Championship stretching to an unlucky 13 before the next international break at Bournemouth and at home to Wigan and Blackburn.

It is increasingly difficult to excuse Albion's dismal home form. Middlesbrough at least looked like the top six side they are in winning at the Amex a week earlier. Rotherham are new to the Championship and below halfway.

Rather than falling behind yet again, the Seagulls led this time. Scoring just before half-time should have been a tonic, a platform to kick on.

Instead they fell away and would have lost without goalkeeper David Stockdale's best performance since his summer move from Fulham.

Stockdale has already made more obviously goal-costing mistakes than Tomasz Kuszczak in the whole of last season. Hyypia is not surprised it has taken him a while to hit form.

"When he came here I don't think he was in good shape and we needed to work on him quite a lot," Hyypia said.

"I knew that in the first few games he wasn't at his best and he could improve. Now he is doing the work he needs to be quicker and make better saves, so I think it's paying off a little bit that he is in better condition as well."

Stockdale got down well to save at full-stretch low shots in each half from Paul Green and Craig Morgan.

He saved his best until last, with a similar stop to thwart substitute Jonson Clarke-Harris in stoppage time, then a leap and paw away to prevent an own goal by Gordon Greer when the captain miscued from a cross.

Thank goodness the Albion defenders know where the goal is, otherwise they would be in deeper trouble.

Just before the break on-loan Joe Bennett drove in from an acute angle after initially miscontrolling a cross from Aston Villa team-mate Gary Gardner. Eight of the 13 Championship goals have now been provided by the back four.

The Seagulls continue to look lightweight and shot-shy in the last third. Jake Forster-Caskey and Adrian Colunga were bright in the opening 45 minutes but Rotherham, direct and robust, were the stronger side in the second half and well worth their point.

Alex Revell should have headed them in front late in the first half with a header straight at Stockdale. The former Albion forward made no mistake early in the second, capitalising on a yawning gap between Greer and the recalled Rohan Ince from Ben Pringle's cross to stroke in his third goal in as many games.

It was another sucker punch, akin to Middlesbrough's lead doubler on the counter-attack at an equivalent stage a week earlier.

Hyypia said: "It maybe better not to say anything (at half-time) and they (the players) will just figure out what to do. We could almost use the recordings from last week. That's how I feel it is going at the moment and maybe that's the optimum quality we have.

"We need to try to work hard to make the individuals better and that way we can maybe be collectively better as well. That is the only thing to do at the moment, or then we need to go to the transfer market to try to find a few players who bring quality to the team."

Tottenham are lurking next in the last 16 of the Capital One Cup at White Hart Lane on Wednesday, where another patchy performance could leave Albion vulnerable to a heavy defeat.

Then it's the Sky cameras away to Bournemouth, eight-goal wreckers of managerless Birmingham, the team immediately below Hyypia's strugglers. The search for that elusive win is getting harder and harder.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cant argue with any of that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There has been a malfunction between the man in charge of the team at Albion and the recruitment of players for some time, long before Hyypia's appointment.

It began in the latter stages of Gus Poyet's reign, continued with Oscar Garcia and is evident again now with Hyypia in charge.

He has not got enough of the type of players he would have liked to implement his style: full-backs operating like wingers, players switched on to fill in the gaps behind, a mobile and clinical strike force.

Albion presumably did their due diligence when they appointed the Finn, were aware of his vision, the sort of side he would seek to produce? If not, why not?

I've touched on it before but after Oscar left he met with Andy Naylor and laid his cards on the table. He was adamant that the problem with the club was the recruitment methods and that the manager / coach had little dealings in it. He even stated it as his reason for going. Now I know TB has suggested Oscar chose to not participate but it seems strange that Gus hinted at the problem, Oscar stated it to AN and Sami has suggested extra players may be needed. Is the problem the club rather than the manager ? *** awaits to be flamed ***

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
That is absolutely spot on. An excellent article.

Another to join in pointing the finger at Burke. What worries me now is that if the club decide to keep Sami he is saying he now wants to get players in, does Burke have the contacts and ability to bring in loan players that are needed so urgently now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've touched on it before but after Oscar left he met with Andy Naylor and laid his cards on the table. He was adamant that the problem with the club was the recruitment methods and that the manager / coach had little dealings in it. He even stated it as his reason for going. Now I know TB has suggested Oscar chose to not participate but it seems strange that Gus hinted at the problem, Oscar stated it to AN and Sami has suggested extra players may be needed. Is the problem the club rather than the manager ? *** awaits to be flamed ***

I won't flame you. I agree.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's a good piece and I agree with a lot of it. But as far as the tactics go, which players can we possibly bring in that will prosper in our current system? I mean, Gareth Bale would do a job as a left-back/winger/goalscorer but there won't be many, maybe any, available within our budget that have the talent to fulfil all the roles that are being asked of them simultaneously.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While I'm honoured and touched at the likes I've received from [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] over the last few days ( the gentleman is after all a legend ), they are somewhat surprising given we rarely agree. Thanks anyway :thumbsup: and hope your getting stronger.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I think there is a lot of truth in what your saying and the way we went about player recruitment over the summer was terrible hence so many fans were complaining about it, We continually dragged our heels seemingly missing out on targets just to end up with a very late flurry of activity that I still can't decide whether it was panic buying or in fact player recruitment was nothing more than an after thought.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
GO LEFT GO LEFT!

Seriously though I think Sami needs to adapt and change his tactics, I'm all for his system but its pointless playing it when he doesn't have the players capable of doing so. There does seem to be an underlying issue with recruitment which needs to be addressed.

Another to join in pointing the finger at Burke.
This is not about pointing fingers. It's about waiting for SOMEONE to take responsibility for coming up with a solution to the problem. It would be a start if that someone made some sort of statement to the effect that things aren't going well.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Good article, but for me only one of his options will work now - new manager.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...turn right and change some of the players.

I disagree with Naylor on this. I don't think turning right and changing players will work. Not unless we bring in players that have played the system for some time and therefore their adaption of it would be fairly instant. There is no quick fix of say 4 new faces when the tactics just aren't working through the majority of the team.

The impact on the rest of the team of our fullbacks providing our only width is huge. In Championship football I'd go as far as to say catastrophic.

I think there is potential in this side from the players. O'Grady and Baldock have the differing attributes to work well together, but they're too square at the moment. We've got players with the energy to run beyond our strikers into the box (Gardner and JFC) - but these crucial overlaps are not happening.

Sami needs to swallow his pride, his belief in a footballing ideology, or whatever it is that is making him stick so rigidly to this system, and just get us back to some basics that they all know, the players can trust, and they can grow in confidence.

No matter what people said about Garcia last season, he tried a few things and did show some flexibility even if it was always on the basis of being defensive. He's looking a bloody good manager in retrospect to what we have now.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
We either have the wrong people in position or the right people operating in the wrong way.

Or both.

The club seems to be all PR and sell sell sell. They need to connect with the fans soon or all goodwill will be lost.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

There is a problem, without doubt.

But I would expect any manager worth his salt to be able to recognise what kind of squad he has, what is needed on a match to match basis, and prepare accordingly. I don't think Oscar particularly wanted to play a drab style of football, especially with his background, but no-one can argue that he didn't get pretty much the best out of the squad & injuries he had. Sami on the other hand is hell bent on his style of play come what may. Now using your full backs for width & attacking play is nothing new to us, christ we've had Wayne Bridge, Stephen Ward, Bruno & Calderon tearing up & down the pitch in recent times, but supporting the wingers, not being 'the' wingers. For me, the worst part of Saturday was our inability to deal with Rotherham pushing 2 or 3 players up to stop us playing out from goal kicks. We had Bennett & Calderon stationed on the half way line, and to be fair Stockdale did pick them out a couple of times. But all we had to do was drop them back deeper, in fact drop JFC & Gardener back as well so we had 5 or 6 short options for Stockdale. There was no way Rotherham would have pushed that many players up to stop us and problem solved, but no we ended up kicking it long and they inevitably picked up the 'bits & pieces'. Its that inability or refusal to change that really concerns me.

Out of the 4 options, I don't think bringing in new players will help unless they are seriously top end players, which they won't be. We don't want to continue as we are, obviously, so its either he changes or he goes. I'm not out for him to go btw, so I hope he changes and quick.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No matter what people said about Garcia last season, he tried a few things and did show some flexibility even if it was always on the basis of being defensive. He's looking a bloody good manager in retrospect to what we have now.

Oscar done what any half decent manager/head coach should do, he played to the strengths of the squad he had.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good article, but for me only one of his options will work now - new manager.

Same players though. I know Sami is making basic tactical errors but we have no wingers or strikers that would work together. That's not his fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here