Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting from Hastings to London..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Want to buy a place that is commutable to London and affordable (Brighton has moved beyond my reach). Considering Hastings as I heard the train line was being upgraded. Just wondered if anyone local knew when this was going to happen, there was talk of this by early next year

Also any views on Hastings in general?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hastings is full of character. Made even better by the fact that plenty of snobby wankers think it's too rough for them. Born here and still love the place, for all its faults.

But for transport links to London, or anywhere else for that matter? :lolol:..... Forget it! And I can't see that ever changing in my lifetime either, let alone anytime soon.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seriously that is one hell of a commute I would have a long think about it

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was reading there was talking of a Hastings Express via Tunbridge Wells, anyone heard more about it?

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Want to buy a place that is commutable to London and affordable (Brighton has moved beyond my reach). Considering Hastings as I heard the train line was being upgraded. Just wondered if anyone local knew when this was going to happen, there was talk of this by early next year

Yep are you mad?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Upgrades to rail links for us have been promised for years. Nothing ever changes. Still a long and expensive trip to London, no matter what way you go.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there was talk years ago about the line being upgraded, but it would shave 10-15 min off the journey time iirc. end of the day, its still as far as it is from London. theres more recent idea that they might extend the high speed from Ashford, which i think would be quite an achivement for little Hastings, considering the opposition to high speed where there is some tangiable benefits.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Hastings is full of character. Made even better by the fact that plenty of snobby wankers think it's too rough for them. Born here and still love the place, for all its faults.

But for transport links to London, or anywhere else for that matter? :lolol:..... Forget it! And I can't see that ever changing in my lifetime either, let alone anytime soon.

This is very true, love the place, please don't put "half" decent transport links in you'll make it like Brighton, a shit version of Camden by the sea (opens can of worms)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In short Nicko, don't waste your time planning to commute anywhere from Hastings. We're isolated, both by road and rail. As I say, I can't see that ever changing.

Come here to live AND work though and you'll probably love it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In short Nicko, don't waste your time planning to commute anywhere from Hastings. We're isolated, both by road and rail. As I say, I can't see that ever changing.

Come here to live AND work though and you'll probably love it.

Thanks it won't be London every day, need to think long and hard about it

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011

I commute to London most days, from hastings - it's only taken me 12 years to get used to it. The service is shockingly bad during the winter though , seldom on time and it's not cheap either.

Hastings & St Leonard's has a lot of nice areas with "character" - you could do a lot worse.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Easy commute by car, according to my mate in the local shooting club Mr Brown. He goes off to town on the A21, and he comes home each evening and he's ready with his gun.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I commute to London most days, from hastings - it's only taken me 12 years to get used to it. The service is shockingly bad during the winter though , seldom on time and it's not cheap either.

Hastings & St Leonard's has a lot of nice areas with "character" - you could do a lot worse.

It only took me 10 years to get used to commuting from Etchingham to London, then I discovered I wanted to extend my life for another 10 years on less money but without the £3k a year fare and a better quality of life....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Easy commute by car, according to my mate in the local shooting club Mr Brown. He goes off to town on the A21, and he comes home each evening and he's ready with his gun.

Who do you think you are kidding [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] if you think old Hastings dull.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Mid sussex still has some value properties in it that are not crazy prizes. Haywards Heath has great connections into London. Burgess Hill is nearly as good and has two mainline stations and is generally a bit cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here