Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injured pigeon

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I know Ive brought some strange looking birds home with me before but i don't remember this one!
There is a pigeon sat by my front door that doesn't seem able to fly away, what to do / who to call ?

:shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know Ive brought some strange looking birds home with me before but i don't remember this one!
There is a pigeon sat by my front door that doesn't seem able to fly away, what to do / who to call ?

Pigeon breast with red wine gravy, roast leeks and wild mushrooms

Ingredients

For the marinade
4 garlic cloves, sliced
½tsp picked thyme leaves
6 black peppercorns, crushed
4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
8 wood pigeon breasts

For the gravy
2 tbsp sugar
200ml red wine
2 sprigs thyme
6 juniper berries, lightly crushed

For the roasted leeks
12 baby leeks, trimmed
1 tbsp butter

For the wild mushrooms
handful wood ear mushrooms, sliced
15-20 wild brown closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparation method
Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
Combine the garlic, thyme, black peppercorns and rapeseed oil in a small bowl. Using a sharp knife, score the pigeon breasts' skin lightly and rub in the marinade - leave for at least 20 minutes.
To make the gravy, combine the sugar and a few drops of water in a smallish, very clean saucepan and place over a high heat to caramelise. Once the sugar melts and has gone a dark golden brown, pour in the red wine. Add the thyme and the juniper berries. Cook the sauce until it is reduced by two thirds - this will take about 12-15 minutes. Season to taste, strain and keep warm.
Place the leeks in a saucepan of boiling, salted water and blanch for 10 seconds. With a pair of tongs, remove the leeks from the boiling water and plunge into a bowl of ice-cold water. When they have cooled, drain the leeks well.
Place the leeks in an ovenproof saucepan or baking sheet with a knob of butter. Transfer to the hot oven and cook until tender - this should take about 10-15 minutes.
Heat a griddle pan until hot. Season the pigeon breasts with salt and freshly ground pepper and place on the hot griddle pan. Cook for just a few minutes on each side until cooked to your liking, then remove from the heat and set aside in a warm place for at least five minutes.
For the mushrooms, heat a small frying pan. When hot, add the rapeseed oil and fry the garlic until golden brown. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until softened. Be careful - the wood-ear mushrooms can pop and splutter quite ferociously.
Serve the pigeon with the leeks, mushrooms, and a drizzle of the red wine gravy.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Is this why you can't be arsed to come round for a chicken roast:eek: oh and your mum is in shock from the first sentence

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does it have a band with phone number? Would be a knackered racing pigeon needing a few days rest and feeding before going on its merry way back up north.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If you can find another one, we've got our new strike partnership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here