Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost Brighton and Hove and surroundings football pitches

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Sitting here in Preston Park waiting for the ONE Sunday game to KO makes me think of lost pitches

For example, there were three pitches here running up and down the slope to the Folly. Also, there were three pitches at the top of Ditchling Road near the swing park with the rocket climbing frame IIRC ???

Add to those the three stepped pitches in the back of Whitehawk, now housing I believe, and it adds up to loads with no doubt lots of other example ???

Can anybody think of others that are no longer with us?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sitting here in Preston Park waiting for the ONE Sunday game to KO makes me think of lost pitches

For example, there were three pitches here running up and down the slope to the Folly. Also, there were three pitches at the top of Ditchling Road near the swing park with the rocket climbing frame IIRC ???

Add to those the three stepped pitches in the back of Whitehawk, now housing I believe, and it adds up to loads with no doubt lots of other example ???

Are they not still there ? Mind you, I haven't been over for a while.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
They might be tbf. I haven't been there for years also. I just assumed they'd been consumed in the estate redevelopment? Anybody clued up?

No need to worry. A look in Google Earth has them still there.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
No need to worry. A look in Google Earth has them still there.

Did anyone play on the pitch that was at the top of Wilson Avenue, Wrights Farm?
Horrendous slope, bitterly cold, no changing rooms, the joys of Sunday League football in the lower divisions.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I assume the pitches at the top of Wilson Avenue have gone. First season in the Sunday League ( mid 1960's) we played 13 out of 16 games there. No changing rooms and most of us had to get there on the bus!

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It looks like the pitch at the top of Wilson Avenue has gone. I did play there as a youngster. Changed in cars. It was very exposed.

dbarnard

Jul 26, 2011
Stanmer park used have at least 7 pitches that I remember, now down to two adult and one small sided youth pitch...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Played once on a pitch at Goring for some reason, on a sloped pitch more or less in the grounds of Highdown Gardens (?) One of our players every game would have a pop from the half way line, and in this instance, helped by the wind and multiple swerves of the ball, he scored :)

Have been past on the train and can't make out if is still there?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Hollingbury Park - some of the most farcical pitches anywhere. Hoof it off the touchline on the trees side and you lose the ball down to the bottom of the hill. Similarly, the slope on the pitch going from side to side was pretty extreme.

Sadly, as much as I am for public space and greenery, that area seems to be an under-used space. Preston Park, The Level, Queens Park etc are all well-used open public spaces. Hollingbury Park rarely has more than a couple of dozen people on it at any one time, even during the summer.

If it isn't used more, it could be the next space which is earmarked for much-needed development.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here