Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You're the manager...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You've made a substitution and as a consequence big gaps are appearing in the middle and down your left. You can see this, so can all the fans. There's 15 minutes left of play and the opposition are exploiting this and consistently have a man over on the overlap. Do you

a) get up out of your seat in the dug-out and adjust the players' positions as necessary, getting them back into a cohesive unit

or

b) carry on sitting there and moaning about the lack of shape to your assistant?

This for me is the biggest puzzler with Hyypia. We can blame the players for howlers, mistakes and suchlike but surely the manager needs to command his team and fine tune as necessary. It's not a once only decision when you pick your formation, the game's fluid, the opposition can change tactics so the manager needs to anticipate, react etc etc. I'm not talking about OTT Poyet/Di Canio type histrionics, just once in a while letting the team know what you want from them. I've never known a manager of any team show so little reaction to what's going on in the game. If we were winning 5-0 every game then I could understand it but clearly we're not. The impression it gives is that he's out of his depth.

Has there been another manager like it?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He was out of his dugout yesterday and some occasions. What he was saying I couldn't hear :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You're right, he was on a couple of occasions but there was no whistling, waving at players trying to get players' attention, pointing to positions, adjusting the play...baffling.

Was he happy with Baldock taking corners in the second half? If so, then that's rather damning. If not, then he should have been telling the team who was to take them and where he wanted Baldock. Equally damning.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
You've made a substitution and as a consequence big gaps are appearing in the middle and down your left. You can see this, so can all the fans. There's 15 minutes left of play and the opposition are exploiting this and consistently have a man over on the overlap. Do you

a) get up out of your seat in the dug-out and adjust the players' positions as necessary, getting them back into a cohesive unit

or

b) carry on sitting there and moaning about the lack of shape to your assistant?

This for me is the biggest puzzler with Hyypia. We can blame the players for howlers, mistakes and suchlike but surely the manager needs to command his team and fine tune as necessary. It's not a once only decision when you pick your formation, the game's fluid, the opposition can change tactics so the manager needs to anticipate, react etc etc. I'm not talking about OTT Poyet/Di Canio type histrionics, just once in a while letting the team know what you want from them. I've never known a manager of any team show so little reaction to what's going on in the game. If we were winning 5-0 every game then I could understand it but clearly we're not. The impression it gives is that he's out of his depth.

I think you give him too much credit - I don't think he would have noticed

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sam. The bad eagle off the muppets. Can't be arsed to google a pic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

or

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, perhaps he was aware that making the attacking subs that he did on Saturday would leave the aforementioned gaps in our midfield, but felt we needed to take that risk to go for the win? If he had plugged the gaps it might've meant no chance whatsoever of getting a 2nd goal. I fully acknowledge that we didn't look like getting a second goal but you understand my logic.

Towards the end on Saturday I was very much of the "**** it, who cares if we lose now we HAVE to go for the 3 points" attitude.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
We won lots of football matches under Garcia. That's the crucial difference

Garcia didn't come across as particularly inspiring but I always felt he had a structured plan and a set-up that was adaptable and when changes were needed then they were balanced and structured.
Hyypia seems to emerge from the dugout every once in a while and ask Jones questions. From the stands looking down it all seems a bit slapdash and clueless.
Maybe he is a different beast in the changing room as I hope it's just me that he's lost and not his players.

Stumpy Tim

Garcia didn't come across as particularly inspiring but I always felt he had a structured plan and a set-up that was adaptable and when changes were needed then they were balanced and structured.
Hyypia seems to emerge from the dugout every once in a while and ask Jones questions. From the stands looking down it all seems a bit slapdash and clueless.
Maybe he is a different beast in the changing room as I hope it's just me that he's lost and not his players.

Very much this. I never felt Oscar was a boring manager - he just sent his teams out to keep the ball and win games of football. To be honest, I think the players we've got now would suit Oscar more than last season (Ulloa aside).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Very much this. I never felt Oscar was a boring manager - he just sent his teams out to keep the ball and win games of football. To be honest, I think the players we've got now would suit Oscar more than last season (Ulloa aside).

As Warren Aspinall stated that he scouted Danny Holla last season, it might be that the list of players were for Oscar. It's possible that following his resignation, we hadn't got a second list? Toko was definitely scouted before January.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We won lots of football matches under Garcia. That's the crucial difference

Just think what we COULD have won this season if we'd managed to resist the temptation to flog off Ulloa and Barnes for any reasonable offer. The current manager's one admirable strategy of getting the ball into the opposition half of the pitch earlydoors might well have paid off bigtime. Oh well.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
As Warren Aspinall stated that he scouted Danny Holla last season, it might be that the list of players were for Oscar. It's possible that following his resignation, we hadn't got a second list? Toko was definitely scouted before January.

Really. That's an awful long time to be stalking someone who has since been deemed unplayable in a team that is flirting with the relegation spots. Toko must have caught someone's eye at some point along the line to lead to such a lengthy courting period.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here