Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex vs The Theatre

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Due to my 7 year old twin boys birthday (as season ticket holders) we missed our first home game this season for a trip to The West End to see Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, not a cheap option by any means but an interesting comparison. For the price of 4 tickets in the stalls I could of bought a whole season ticket at The Amex (yes it really was that expensive). We kept a check on the score all the way through but texts from fellow Seagulls Over Burwash members reminded me why we were better off in The West End yesterday. The show was brilliant from beginning to end, well worth the money (sort of!) and a fantastic experience for my boys.

Kids are always a great barometer of a good day out and although we missed The Albion on leaving Dury Lane one twin asked, "What was the score Dad?" 1-1 again "What against ROTHERHAM !!?? Don't worry Dad, we've just had what I call QUALITY entertainment!!!" I couldn't help but nod and agree :-(

Yes it was expensive and its not something we'd do every week, The Albion always generally comes first with us but the point is there are other alternatives and cheaper ones for the less committed Albion fans and paying top dollar for what is essentially League 1 entertainment won't last......

Barber, Bloom et al take note........

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You can stick you ****ing Factory up your arse

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You need to teach them that defeat and misery is all part of the experience otherwise the good times don't feel half as good.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Due to my 7 year old twin boys birthday (as season ticket holders) we missed our first home game this season for a trip to The West End to see Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, not a cheap option by any means but an interesting comparison. For the price of 4 tickets in the stalls I could of bought a whole season ticket at The Amex (yes it really was that expensive). We kept a check on the score all the way through but texts from fellow Seagulls Over Burwash members reminded me why we were better off in The West End yesterday. The show was brilliant from beginning to end, well worth the money (sort of!) and a fantastic experience for my boys.

Kids are always a great barometer of a good day out and although we missed The Albion on leaving Dury Lane one twin asked, "What was the score Dad?" 1-1 again "What against ROTHERHAM !!?? Don't worry Dad, we've just had what I call QUALITY entertainment!!!" I couldn't help but nod and agree :-(

Yes it was expensive and its not something we'd do every week, The Albion always generally comes first with us but the point is there are other alternatives and cheaper ones for the less committed Albion fans and paying top dollar for what is essentially League 1 entertainment won't last......

Barber, Bloom et al take note........

When you're going to the theatre every week then you can make a comparison. You said it yourself that the cost of one trip was the equivalent of a season for you and, bearing in mind your kids age, I would surmise that the cost of two trips to the theatre would cover the cost of all of your families season tickets. We get 23 days out for our season ticket and for me it works out at £23 per game. What the price of the ticket can't reflect is the success of the team on the pitch for the forthcoming season. We have had three very good seasons and this one has started very poorly. We don't know how it will end. That's the beauty of football (or the pain, whichever way the team are playing). The probably fact is that supporters will grin and bear it, as they have done for many years, and those just wanting to be entertained will give the next few games a swerve. A change in manager may alter the trend or a good signing in January, who knows?

Have to say when I saw the thread title, thought this was going to be a comparison of the Amex v the Theatre of Trees!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A big future threat to the Albion's gates would be if the proposed 10,000 capacity ice rink (with B&H ice hockey team?) ever gets built at Black Rock. Mind you, the speed the council moves at, probably not a threat for the next 20 years or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
When you're going to the theatre every week then you can make a comparison. You said it yourself that the cost of one trip was the equivalent of a season for you and, bearing in mind your kids age, I would surmise that the cost of two trips to the theatre would cover the cost of all of your families season tickets. We get 23 days out for our season ticket and for me it works out at £23 per game. What the price of the ticket can't reflect is the success of the team on the pitch for the forthcoming season. We have had three very good seasons and this one has started very poorly. We don't know how it will end. That's the beauty of football (or the pain, whichever way the team are playing). The probably fact is that supporters will grin and bear it, as they have done for many years, and those just wanting to be entertained will give the next few games a swerve. A change in manager may alter the trend or a good signing in January, who knows?

Have to say when I saw the thread title, thought this was going to be a comparison of the Amex v the Theatre of Trees!!!!

Point taken, I've been going to The Albion since 1974, I understand the "ups and downs" but as we are continually told by the club, we are "customers" and if thats the case plenty of other less committed people might well take their "custom" elsewhere. Its not really about what type of alternative entertainment there is, just that it exists, you can compare like for like, yes, BUT from the dross served up so far this season one day out in the West End (although pricy) has super seeded every home game so far, the looks on my boys faces said it all, and they love everything about The Albion.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A big future threat to the Albion's gates would be if the proposed 10,000 capacity ice rink (with B&H ice hockey team?) ever gets built at Black Rock. Mind you, the speed the council moves at, probably not a threat for the next 20 years or so.

Can't see it being a 'threat'. I don't follow ice hockey (yet!) but if the seasons intertwined then surely common sense would prevail with matches taking place not on the same day? Surely it would be in both clubs interests.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Christ on a bike, someone from Burwash going to the West End, bloody hell you country boys will be wanting running water next :D

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I went and saw Charlie last year, brilliant isn't it! Anyway regarding the price I do tend to go for the cheaper seats and paid £25 for seats in the balcony for that show, so more of an equivalent to yesterdays prices if paying match by match. I reckon you could see 23 different shows in the course of one year but realistically that's unlikely. The biggest cost is the travel, I head up to London on the train and doing that fortnightly it would soon add up. The Amex strength is the travel included which overall does make it a value for money day out sitting in a stunning new stadium. Yep the football isn't great at the minute (and there's been plenty of times in the past that this is the case) but then that's sport for you, never know what your going to get in advance.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I went and saw Charlie last year, brilliant isn't it! Anyway regarding the price I do tend to go for the cheaper seats and paid £25 for seats in the balcony for that show, so more of an equivalent to yesterdays prices if paying match by match. I reckon you could see 23 different shows in the course of one year but realistically that's unlikely. The biggest cost is the travel, I head up to London on the train and doing that fortnightly it would soon add up. The Amex strength is the travel included which overall does make it a value for money day out sitting in a stunning new stadium. Yep the football isn't great at the minute (and there's been plenty of times in the past that this is the case) but then that's sport for you, never know what your going to get in advance.

Agree with all your points, just that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives and the highly corporate nature of The Albion (and football) relies on the good will of not only the "old guard" like me but the new fans. Its vital they get it right on the pitch because at the moment its massively lacking and that good will comes at a price that outstrips many clubs in The Championship. I will always go but I counter many thousands won't unless they start getting back what they are putting in to the football club, its not about winning EVERY week but it IS about having a team that actually looks good enough to compete at this level and entertain to some extent....

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Isn't that technically Surrey ?

No Mid Sussex, it was Gatwick was once in Surrey but they moved the boundary .Haywards Heath was in East Sussex but it was transferred to West Sussex in the early 70s as we felt we should be in a county that it's is against the law to marry your sister.:facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here