Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia on Paddy

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
After hopefully what was his last game in charge, Hyypia was asked why he didn't start with Paddy. The reply was along the lines of " he's not good enough at defending"! In the few limited opportunities he's had, Paddy has shown more skill and creativity than the rest of the team put together. Yes, he is not the quickest, yes, he makes mistakes but at least he creates things! He should be starting, not thrown on when Hyypia finally wakes up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
After hopefully what was his last game in charge, Hyypia was asked why he didn't start with Paddy. The reply was along the lines of " he's not good enough at defending"! In the few limited opportunities he's had, Paddy has shown more skill and creativity than the rest of the team put together. Yes, he is not the quickest, yes, he makes mistakes but at least he creates things! He should be starting, not thrown on when Hyypia finally wakes up.

Pretty much what every club he has been too has said.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So he can't defend, so what. A football team is made up of 11 players, not all can be all things to everyone. Just shows Hyypia up for being more clueless than most of us, already think he is. That he is unable to find a place in the starting line up, for probably the most gifted player at the club.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pretty much what every club he has been too has said.

But given the current lack of creativity (especially with LuaLua suspended), why not start him yesterday. If he's not doing what Hyypia wanted, he could bring Texeira on instead. As it was, McCourt had more impact in the 20/25 minutes he was on than the rest of the team in 90 and if we had anyone who could be bother to gamble in the box, he'd have setup the winner.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So he can't defend, so what. A football team is made up of 11 players, not all can be all things to everyone. Just shows Hyypia up for being more clueless than most of us, already think he is. That he is unable to find a place in the starting line up, for probably the most gifted player at the club.

I've changed my view to agreeing with this now. We haven't got the best squad in the league but there must be managers out there who could do better than this. As much as I hate to say it, Steve Evans would definitely be one judging by yesterday.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So attacking midfielders and strikers defend and defenders attack lol

Maybe if he actually as you say left the defender.s to errr defend and let the midfield do what they are best at with kaz playing as a winger and the rest not covering for the fullbacks who are being forced to play too far up the pitch we might achieve a bit more

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But given the current lack of creativity (especially with LuaLua suspended), why not start him yesterday. If he's not doing what Hyypia wanted, he could bring Texeira on instead. As it was, McCourt had more impact in the 20/25 minutes he was on than the rest of the team in 90 and if we had anyone who could be bother to gamble in the box, he'd have setup the winner.

Good point. Most teams have at least one flair player, yesterday with KLL suspended and Tex on the bench it was the ideal time to play Paddy. Surely with the other players around we did not need Paddy to be "defensive". Thank god the same thoughts were not aimed at a similar talent (Vicente) when he was here.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So attacking midfielders and strikers defend and defenders attack lol

Topsy turvy isn't it.
Seems to be the case as Dunk is top scorer.
Ha,wouldn't have suited Wardy;I can't remember anyone criticising him for not being good enough at defending!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Hyypia's system only works if you have players capable of performing in the Champions League. Man U even have difficulty in making it work.

Greer was so out of form yesterday I suspect as captain he has become disillusioned with the tactics.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Reluctantly come to the conclusion that he's gotta go. He's convinced his system will work, there seems no other plan that he's willing to consider. He's still convinced we are just being unlucky in conceding early goals

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
While I don't think Paddy is the saviour by a long way, the fact Hyypia has full backs playing as wingers and seemingly abandoning their defensive responsibilities I find it difficult to comprehend he can say something about someone who is clearly a creative attacking midfielder.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

I think Sammi is spot on with that, apart from a cameo run he did little yesterday, has no pace, doesn't work hard enough and doesn't defend. He's only worth 20 minutes, hasn't scored and can't remember if he has any assists. He looks unfit and tired to me, how much are we paying him?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It makes me wonder whether someone like George Best would be allowed to start - he couldn't defend either. Paddy isn't George Best, but he does have something about him that suggests he is a cut above most players at this level. He has to start so that the other players know how to play with him and can start to read him - that is not going to happen if he plays 30 minutes a game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think Sammi is spot on with that, apart from a cameo run he did little yesterday, has no pace, doesn't work hard enough and doesn't defend. He's only worth 20 minutes, hasn't scored and can't remember if he has any assists. He looks unfit and tired to me, how much are we paying him?

That's the way I see it. I'm a fan of Paddy, but if he was fit, and did defend when needed, he wouldn't be playing for us. Or at least, we would have faced more competition for his signature.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Hyypia's system only works if you have players capable of performing in the Champions League. Man U even have difficulty in making it work.

Greer was so out of form yesterday I suspect as captain he has become disillusioned with the tactics.

My thoughts to about Greer. As for the tactics, CL players can't make hem work - Man U as you say, but also Bayer Leverkusen. So it's not the players at all it's the system. As for his thoughts on Paddy, Sami needs to be reminded of one of Clough's comments - you don't buy Peter Withe to play him in goal.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Hyypia signed Paddy after a period of time on trial so he knew what he was going to get. If Hyypia knew Paddy's style of play and didn't like it then why sign him?

A man desperate for a contract will play and train at his best. As a general rule of thumb, the best you ever get out of any employee, is at the interview. Paddy would never have been considered two years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here