Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can History Repeat Itself?

el punal

Thirty five years ago (Oct/Nov1979), the Albion were in their first season in the old Division 1. Similar to us now, the team then, were also struggling. Almost a mirror image - played 14 league games and only won 2 and in the basement of the division. Then a League Cup game against Arsenal (2014 read Spurs), and then the following Saturday a Division 1 away match to Nottingham Forest.

Forest, the then Champions of Europe unbeaten for God knows how many games, and we beat them against all the odds 1-0. That reignited our season and, instead of being certs for relegation at the end of the season, we ended up in a comfortably safe position.

So, next Saturday we play Bournemouth (obviously not Champions of Europe!) but a team on fire having won their last 4 (?) matches. Can we replicate the heroes of 1979 and do the same thing? After yesterday's performance unlikely. But to quote Greavsie - " It's a funny old game,Saint ".

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I fear that if history is to repeat itself this season, it will be 1961-62, 1986-87 or 1991-1992, the other fourth seasons in the second tier of English football.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Thirty five years ago (Oct/Nov1979), the Albion were in their first season in the old Division 1. Similar to us now, the team then, were also struggling. Almost a mirror image - played 14 league games and only won 2 and in the basement of the division. Then a League Cup game against Arsenal (2014 read Spurs), and then the following Saturday a Division 1 away match to Nottingham Forest.

Forest, the then Champions of Europe unbeaten for God knows how many games, and we beat them against all the odds 1-0. That reignited our season and, instead of being certs for relegation at the end of the season, we ended up in a comfortably safe position.

So, next Saturday we play Bournemouth (obviously not Champions of Europe!) but a team on fire having won their last 4 (?) matches. Can we replicate the heroes of 1979 and do the same thing? After yesterday's performance unlikely. But to quote Greavsie - " It's a funny old game,Saint ".

The difference is that the side of 79 had qualities that the current one sadly lacks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i think that there is more chance of a thrashing than us winning. We haven't had a good thumping for a while and our track record at Bournemouth and against Eddie Howe is not very good. I feel very downbeat about our chances there, love to be wrong.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We went to Watford and drew, and could have won.

We went to Forest and drew, and could have won.

Sami's tactics away from home are better suited to getting a result, so I feel relatively confident we can come away from Bournemouth with at least a point.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We went to Watford and drew, and could have won.

We went to Forest and drew, and could have won.

Sami's tactics away from home are better suited to getting a result, so I feel relatively confident we can come away from Bournemouth with at least a point.

A point every away game and only a point or loss at home = relegation

i think that there is more chance of a thrashing than us winning. We haven't had a good thumping for a while and our track record at Bournemouth and against Eddie Howe is not very good. I feel very downbeat about our chances there, love to be wrong.

I'd say a draw is still a decent call if Dunk and Greer raise their game from yesterday's levels. We often fight teams to a standstill this season but just have no punch up front to finish the job

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the memories and that defeat at Arsenal one one of the most inept I've ever seen from an Albion side and we were fearing a thrashing at forest.

just sums up what it is to be a fan, being at both games and from the lowest low to the highest high in just a few days. Sadly I don't see a Horton, Lawenson or Ward in this team and I don't see a Mullery urging them on.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
With no investment in players, and the academy not bearing fruit for a few years, you'll have to get use to being in the bottom half of the table.
Once the players aren't playing for the manager, you've got a problem.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

3 things happened. They got Sudderby from Blackpool who turned out to be a solid defender when getting a draw was a better result in those days. Lawro returned from a lengthy injury and was tried successfully in midfield, Ray Clarke [who Mullers surprisingly never gave due credit] was imported from Holland and whilst he might not have been prolific, his partnership with Ward seemed to kickstart the latter into action. Ward had previously had slightly less success in partnership with Maybank or Poskett despite the promotion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here