Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This 'lost generation' Dick Knight spoke of during the latter part of Withdean

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Are those demanding the sacking of Hyypia, the same that demanded we panic bought (anyone, just sign someone already!?) at Birmingham in August?

I cannot recall this fretting during the Withdean years? I always felt our fans had a robustness and unflappable character like no other club.

These feelings are receding. I ask, are these fans the lost generation Knight was referring to?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are those demanding the sacking of Hypia, the same that demanded we panic bought (anyone, just sign someone already!?) at Birmingham in August?
I don't think anybody was demanding that we should panic buy, but certainly anybody who was at Birmingham could see that what we had at that time wasn't nearly good enough, so getting more (better) players in was a priority. Pity we didn't.......

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Are those demanding the sacking of Hypia, the same that demanded we panic bought (anyone, just sign someone already!?) at Birmingham in August?

I cannot recall this fretting during the Withdean years? I always felt our fans had a robustness and unflappable character like no other club.

These feelings are receding. I ask, are these fans the lost generation Knight was referring to?

There was a lot less of us at Withdean to be fair...and we knew we were paying top dollar to sit in an athletics stadium in the rain. We were also doing well for a lot of the time we were there so what was to complain about?

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
The clubs delay to bring in a manager during the Summer has been a massive error! This has been a big contribution into what is happening now! When you look at teams that have also made the play offs 2 years running,they have built on this and got to the promised land! WE HAVE NOT! We have gone the other way! So you need to ask questions why! Cannot believe someone astute as TB cannot see this! Look at Hull, they are a shining example of progression for any Championship club. It wasnt long ago they were a similar club to us, new stadium and on the up! What is the differance?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
When we were at Withdean, with the exception of the McGhee relegation season (when to be fair the board were reeling from the cost of two Public Enquiries), and Adams MKII, we knew we were lucky to have a club, and there was an all together feeling. In addition, we had players such as Carpenter, Oatway and Watson, who though there weren't the most skilful around, threw everything at a game, plus we had the Zamora years. So, despite grotty surroundings, we really had it quite good. Now, we keep hearing about having a £100 million stadium and a state of the art training ground, etc (for which credit to TB, no-one can deny this), that we are PLR, etc, and all this One Club, One Ambition stuff. Somehow what we are seeing on the pitch doesn't match the marketing. So no, it's not JCL-ism; many of those complaining are hardcore fans from the rough years.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Same here, I can't remember the last time I've seen such a clueless Albion side.

If the team are clueless then you need to look at those that sanctioned there contracts while letting our key players go, Sammi was not involved in those decisions

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When we were at Withdean, with the exception of the McGhee relegation season (when to be fair the board were reeling from the cost of two Public Enquiries), and Adams MKII, we knew we were lucky to have a club, and there was an all together feeling. In addition, we had players such as Carpenter, Oatway and Watson, who though there weren't the most skilful around, threw everything at a game, plus we had the Zamora years. So, despite grotty surroundings, we really had it quite good. Now, we keep hearing about having a £100 million stadium and a state of the art training ground, etc (for which credit to TB, no-one can deny this), that we are PLR, etc, and all this One Club, One Ambition stuff. Somehow what we are seeing on the pitch doesn't match the marketing. So no, it's not JCL-ism; many of those complaining are hardcore fans from the rough years.

I think that is a very nice summary of exactly the issue, the club is marketing the brand of BHAFC as one thing but what happens on the pitch is incredibly inferior at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here